main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Meh. I've never been a fan of NZ tv. Children of the Dog Star was fun though.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I was under the impression that as I do not have a Nielsen box attached to my TV, when/how I watch whatever shows I watch means precisely JACK towards whether or not they're canceled.

3. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I share a few shows with you, Darth Guy! ;)

Star Trek: TNG, VOYAGER, and DS9
    Battlestar Galactica (loved Starbuck in her new incarnation)
    Caprica
    Futurama
    Arrested Development
    Scrubs
    The Office
    Band of Brothers
    House
    Mythbusters
    The Universe
    Family Guy

4. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I'm not a regular tv viewer, so I generally go on recommendations and then Netflix what I missed. Everyone I know fails though for not mentioning 30 Rock, which is my current favorite. I saw several episodes on a transcontinental flight and was instantly hooked.

Recently, I've also noticed that BBC America has been criminally light on the Britcoms. Is there a comedy dry spell going on over there, or are you guys just hoarding the good stuff. :p

This, along with a bad case of "Trying Too Hard", make that show unwatchable.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Now that I'm all caught up with Breaking Bad, I'm set to move on. I've also decided that I'm not actually on dramatic television overload.

Walt does plenty of morally wrong things, but killing Emilio, Crazy Eight, Tuco, and those child-exploiting, child-killing drug dealers are not on that list (because they were degenerate pieces of filth and they deserved to die (warning: basic cable blood) :D). Standing by as Jane chokes to death? Trying to kill Glenn? Making meth in the first place and supporting the ruthless meth lord "Gus"? Not so excusable.

Anyway, it got me interested in the "doing bad things to (really) bad people" concept in fiction, so I thought, "Why not the ultimate example of this?" So I've decided to give Dexter a try. I'm also going for Extras 'cause I'm also in the mood for a Britcom.

I'm sure you all were on the edges of your seats waiting for me to say what I'd watch next.

6. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    The Tudors make me weep. WEEP.

I would second Deadwood. I've only seen half of the first season, but it's excellent.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's one of those deconstruction Westerns, isn't it?

8. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't know what you mean by "deconstruction Westerns", but it has Timothy Olyphaunt and Ian McShane. And it's awesome.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    ...I've been reading too much TVTropes.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Are you going to explain?

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I've been watching Greatest Tank Battles on the History channel. It has some pretty cool CGI and vet stories, which makes it just like Dogfights in a way. CGI's great for those sorts of recreations.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked Dogfights a lot, mostly because of how insanely good some of the pilots were. Though it started to resort to silly things like speculative "future" battles and one-sided battles such as then-new Israeli F-15's blasting the hell out of unprepared, outdated, Soviet-built, mostly-still-sitting-on-the-tarmac Arab fighters. Lame.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You'll love the guest stars in Extras who all play complete ******* versions of themselves. It's jaw-droppingly astonishing (and hilarious) to watch.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I loved the Korean War episodes. Those pre-missile jet fights were pretty intense.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The first three seasons of The West Wing are outstanding television.

EDIT: zacparis, if you've not seen the British drama Piece of Cake, about a WWII fighter squadron, it's now available on dvd, at least on the U.K. Amazon site. It's good stuff.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    YES. Watch Dexter. Breaking Bad may be up there pretty high on my list of favorite shows, but Dexter is still my favorite drama that's still on the air. You are required to keep me up to date on your thoughts.

18. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I agree with sj. Dexter is my flat-out favorite drama presently airing. I wish there was more to enjoy, but I know more would likely ruin its short but tightly made seasons.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I found Dexter to be disgusting and not at all humorous or possessing anything wholesome.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I've been waiting and saving up West Wing to when I'll really need entertainment. I'm looking forward to it.

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Disgusting I will grant you. But its not supposed to be even remotely "wholesome". I disagree about the humour, but I suppose thats purely subjective and not everyone will find the humour all that funny. I love it though.

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'll check it out thanks.

23. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Big TV nerd here, hoping to write for TV someday. Anyway, I'm currently working my way through ST: TNG. At the end of season four right now, and man it's so good!
    _jOBO

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It is really good, though I have no idea how you managed to slog your way through most of season 1 and parts of season 2 (especially the clip-show finale that was produced due to the 1988 WGA strike). :p It's one of those shows that certainly wasn't amazing from the beginning.

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Those early uniforms were amazing... but not in a good way.