main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I gotta defend these 2 scenes........

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SW3TheHolidaySpecial, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Lessa,

Ah, people frequently spell my name, "Undomeil". Some resort to "U" or "Undo" or "Undom" or just "Und". I don't care. The reason I asked is because some fans seem to lapse into pre-adolescent behavior over scenes in AotC that aren't humorous in the slightest. The bedroom scene is an example. I found nothing particularly humorous about it. So when someone says they laughed, I usually find that individual is either a child or is experiencing some nostalgic pre-adolescent behavior. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. *Shrug*

2. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    To Undomiel you listen, yes hmmm! ;)

3. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    I'd say anyone who didn't find Anakin's dream scene a bit funny-lookin' is a fuddy duddy. The kind who uses the word 'queer' to describe something strange. While I didn't laugh at Anakin resembling a young man being 'touched' by his mommy, I'm not so out-of-touch with the ways of the world that I was surprised when half the theater I saw the film with erupted in laughter at it.

4. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Some people find humor in things. It just means that they have a sense of humor. Why even try to analyze it any other way?

5. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Seriously? Because it isn't particularly funny. I painted a beautiful, romantic picture of Arwen Evenstar and entitled it, "A Farewell to Aragon, Son of Arathorn," and included the lyrics from a lovely, romantic song that was a huge hit on the music charts. The young guys who saw it, laughed and made silly faces. Some people have a hard time coming to grips with their emotions and so laugh when they feel any discomfort at all. A typical sign of immaturity or just an inability to deal with more private emotions, such as lust, love, sadness, melancholia, etc, in any other way. Thusly, you have embarrassed giggles from the younger set when two people are shown making love in the midst of an otherwise PG-rated film.

Sex isn't embarrassing. Love isn't embarrassing. You don't laugh when you're doing the wild thang because you think it's necessarily funny do ya? "MWAHAHAHA!"
    Or maybe you do.

;)

6. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    Undomiel,

Do you ever post in the threads unrelated to the love story. :p

J/K

7. Darth-Solo

May 26, 2002
    I think that people are different and laugh for different reasons. As far as laughing during sex, I guess it depends greatly on your partner...lol

8. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Seriously? Because it isn't particularly funny.>>>

Sure it is. While it didn't make you laugh, it should be easy for you to see why an audience, young or old, immature or mature, would respond to it as potty humor. It's on the level of Anakin holding his lightsaber at the level of his groin and saying to Padme "This long tool of mine is impressive, no?", while Padme is shown panting after returning from a jog. Only an absolute prude would have their nose so high in the air that they'd fail to see the humor in that. The shot of Anakin dreaming isn't less suggestive.

I can tell by your sig that you're a fan of the film Legend, so you can't be all bad.

9. Darth-Solo

May 26, 2002
    Well,some people think that the world is wrong for not thinking the same as they do I guess. There are plenty of humorous things that some people get,and others don't. There are plenty of people that laugh because they are HAPPY people. There are also plenty of people who can't say I'm sorry for misunderstanding,and resort to psycho-babble to justify themselves.

10. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    It's a sad scene. It's meant to be disturbing, not humorous. Although I did find it to be sensual, I didn't think it was particularly funny because I don't view sensuality as particulary funny. I think its sad but nice, pleasant to look at, but not funny especially. I guess I could ask the hubby to laugh alot next time and see if it makes a difference. I kinda doubt it.

Hmm, possible "prude" you say. Aww shucks, you caught me. :D

11. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    The Dream sequence is going to be a very popular scene on the DVD.
    ;)

12. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Dagobah_Dude,

I have a feeling you may be right. Some will actually view it for its intended purpose and some will giggle, I suppose. Whatever. All I know is, I thought it was a visually stunning scene, not necessarily funny, just has alot of emotional impact on one level or another.

13. Lessa

Lessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I think the reason that some people find the scene so amusing is not that they think anything untoward is going on, but because the scene was filmed in a manner that allows it to be interpreted as such. As several other people have posted, GL could have done plenty of things to make that scene absolutely above suspicion. However, he didn't do any of them. And that is why I find it amusing; that the scene was allowed in the film as it was.

Of course, even if we do stipulate that the scene was explicitly sexual, it wouldn't have made it more humorous. I would say that if GL had made it absolutely clear (which he never would, it being a PG film) that the dream sequence was sexual, it would be far more disturbing than it actually was. Of course, then, we could have some interesting discussions about Oedipus Rex and speculate on whether Anakin would start gouging his eyes out. :D But I digress...

14. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "The Dream sequence is going to be a very popular scene on the DVD."

Don't you mean the Yoda Action Sequence? :p

15. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    I think the reason that some people find the scene so amusing is not that they think anything untoward is going on, but because the scene was filmed in a manner that allows it to be interpreted as such. As several other people have posted, GL could have done plenty of things to make that scene absolutely above suspicion. However, he didn't do any of them. And that is why I find it amusing; that the scene was allowed in the film as it was.

Now, see, I thought it was a natural progression of the events prior to that when he was with Padme. So to me, it didn't seem humorous at all and when he started crying out as if in agony, then it started to worry me. Perhaps it was just to private of an idea for people to embrace it as a natural event, even if it were to be about Padme. This is why I think it betrays something about the individual viewer's ability to deal with their own emotions on private, close-to-the-skin matters such as love, romance, and sex.

The scene was meant to get your attention and generate a powerful human emotion, either of a sexual nature [intended?? i don't know but sure looks that way] or, as is the appparent reason, as concern for Anakin's well-being and that of Shmi's whereabouts and condition. I didn't find it humorous for either reason. Had he been dreaming of Padme, it wouldn't have been funny but rather natural. HOWEVER, he was dreaming of his mom's torture and that wasn't funny either.

Like I said before, I guess it'd all depend on how you look at it and where your head is at. I must admit I giggled at "I see your schwartz is as big as mine." But that is meant to be funny. Anakin's dream, honestly isn't supposed to be and I didn't interpret it that way. Interesting.

16. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Luke_Clone,

I must watch the Yoda Action Sequence in slow motion! That is the fastest moving scene in history, I swear. My eyes had trouble keeping up with the action.

17. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    "My eyes had trouble keeping up with the action."

Funny, I had the same problem after Padme got her shirt ripped off. I don't remember anything else, especially the action sequences, from that point on in the movie. :p

18. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Now, see, I thought it was a natural progression of the events prior to that when he was with Padme. So to me, it didn't seem humorous at all and when he started crying out as if in agony, then it started to worry me.>>>

So, at first, you didn't realize you were watching Anakin having a bad dream? I did. You thought Lucas was actually showing a wet dream about Padme? Not me. Even while they laughed, I think the entire theater I saw it with knew it was supposed to be a bad dream they were watching. But being that it looked like something else, they were amused. What _really_ put the laughter over-the-top was when Anakin mentioned his mom as the dream climaxed. "Not only does it look like he's jackin', it also sounds like he was jackin' to his mom, hahaha" is what I believe most in the audience were thinking.

19. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Don't you mean the Yoda Action Sequence?

Of course that will be a popular DVD scene too, but for entirely different reasons.:)

20. Lessa

Lessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    Undomiel: At least we can agree on one thing: the dream sequence is not supposed to be funny. I guess we have very different reactions to it, though. I suppose you took it in the way it was intended--as an emotional scene. However, I found it amusing precisely because GL did not intend it to be.

Now, are you saying that GL intended to provoke a sexual response with that scene? I certainly don't get that feeling. Can you explain, or do I just misunderstand you?

21. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Endboss,

No, I didn't think it was a wet dream. I thought he was having a dream about Padme, but not necessarily as intense as you are thinking. You know, a dream about romantic love can be intense and not be a wet dream. He could've just as easily be dreaming about her refusing him. For a guy in love, that could be pretty disturbing. I don't think GL would depict him having a wet dream. :D It's Star Wars.

Anyway, he was having a nightmare. The silky sheet and lack of shirt really didn't detract from the sensual nature of the dream sequence but the fact those are present (or not present, as the case may be) did not inspire me to laugh or conjure images of someone having a wet dream. However, as soon as it became apparent that he was experiencing a painful nightmare about Shmi, this was not funny either. See what I mean?

Love, sex, wet dreams, concern for your mother's safety, these are all very natural emotions.

22. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    I was searching for the right terminology... "Unrequited love." It could've just as easily been a dream about his unrequited love for Padme, which wouldn't necessarily be funny.

23. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    OK. But because Anakin mentioned earlier in the film that he was having lots of bad dreams about his mom, I immediately realized what we were being shown: A bad dream about his mom, not a romantic dream about Padme. And I immediately realized why the audience was laughing too. :)

24. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Now, are you saying that GL intended to provoke a sexual response with that scene? I certainly don't get that feeling. Can you explain, or do I just misunderstand you?

I think he realized it was sensual in nature, yes, and decided to leave it in because it provoked strong reactions from people who watched it. Young women probably appreciated it because he's a handsome young man, and Anakin needed his sexy moment just as Padme had hers when her midriff was bared and she pranced around in a white, skin tight, nipple extravangza.
    So yeah, I think he wanted it to be somewhat sensual in nature. Killed two birds with one stone and then ducked the kiddy laughter afterwards.

25. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Endboss,

Well no one laughed when I saw it, either time. Most of them were very quiet. The only commentary I heard was when Padme would show up in a sexy outfit of one sort or another, such as the black gown in the fireplace scene or the ripped white shirt, and those were mostly appreciative comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.