main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Ideas...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 11, 2012.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I copied the following from the Newbie Welcome Party:

I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Bringing up ideas helps to support improvement. :)

To your suggestions:

1. WNU is THE place to introduce yourself. Either you can post a new thread or you join one of the social threads and say "hi". It's up to every new member.

2. What do you mean about "general layout"? Something like a "map of the boards"? Since we moved only a few weeks ago, we are working on a new map already. It's just a question of days when it's up again.

3. Random thoughts can be posted in this thread - or you create a new thread for it. :)

4. It's sad to hear that adoptions didn't work for you. What were the reasons? What are your suggestion? What can we change? I'm really interested in seeing your view of things. If we can make adoptions better, than I'm all for it. :)

Please, continue here (and not in the Newbie Welcome Party). This way we have everything in one place. Thanks. :)

2. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Ok, let's start with my response I think a general layout sort of deal would work with an explanation of what people could expect to see in an area of the board, in general of course. This would help the user identify where they want to go on there own and these explanation could have someone, maybe (a) volunteer(s), associated with that board that would be willing to answer any question about that part of the board. This would basically advertise that board or help with any question they might have then that question could be posted to question and answer thread with links for ease of access. The reason I like this idea and why adoptions never worked for me is that i like to answer questions on my own most of the time and only ask an occasional question. I realize this is not the preference of everyone, but seems to work for me. However, I could see the need for a "tutor" if someone really wants guidance.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Fanforce forums take up too much room on the homepage.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Join one and reap the benefits of all of our advertising space.

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Lukes_Apprentice , to avoid misunderstandings, there are two things you suggest:

1. You would prefer a "Map of the Boards", where all boards are described briefly and with a link to a person who can be asked about that board (like the current mod of that board).

2. You like to have a Q&A thread, where you can look up things and answer questons yourself.

Did I got that right? If yes, then...

@1. A "Map of the Boards" is in work already. :)

@2. There had been a Q&A thread in WNU, but it wasn't used much, so I don't think this would work. But what about the idea of trails? Like a training programm? The adoption program had one included and I'm working on an updated (and shorter) version.

6. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    The idea of question and answer didn't work [face_beatup]. That is interesting as it would be helpful.[face_thinking] Trials seem like something that would interest those who want to become a Jedi/Sith and not are not my style though I have to admit they sound interesting. A training program would be helpful for those interested in RPG and not sure where or how to begin. I'm not sure about other parts of the board.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think it would be great if we had volunteers who were willing to chat up anyone interested in a forum and get the inside scoop! (And, of course, if you ever have a question, you can always PM a forum mod. Unfortunately, we're not listed in headers anymore, but anyone will full username colors can at least point you in the right direction :) )

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Finally, moderators are listed in the header again! Now you can find them there like in the old days. Yay! :D But in case, you wonder if one is a mod or not, you can use NYCitygurls definition about "full username colors". :)

Lukes_Apprentice , if we find out or have an idea why a question/answer thread didn't work and how to make it better working, we might give it another try. :)

You're right, that Trials aren't for everyone. That's why the training program is open to use even outside of "becoming a jedi/sith".

Why do you think a training program would be helpful in RPG? :confused:

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  9. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Well some people might be scared by all the people that have doing for a long period of time it would be nice to ease people into the idea of role playing in an open and friendly environment with support and outreach. I want everyone to feel comfortable with coming into the RPG section of the boards. Many of us have been batting the idea around so my question is why not?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Then, that would be something specific for RPG (mainly not based in WNU). I'll let the RPG mods know about your idea. :)

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Lukes_Apprentice we actually had a training program for the RPF for a while, and there's been some discussion on how to revise or revive it, but not with a clear consensus. If you have ideas we'd love to hear them over in our policy discussion thread.