main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo I'm a geek and I'm proud

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LakSivrak, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frio_carr

frio_carr Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    you guys are forgetting the most important starwars geek band around:

NERFHERDER

Inspired by princess leia herself

2. Tori_Dakk

Tori_Dakk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    I listen to Garbage, and at one time, Marilyn Mason, hehe... and I like NIN, Zepplin, and Grateful dead, the doors baby! Gotta love "light my fire," I also enjoy Chicago, Bob Dylan (sometimes), Boston, Metallica, Push Monkey, Stigma, Pink Flloyd, collective soul, Creed, Eminem, Everclear, Fuel, Stoke 9, Downfall, Skamicausiz (spelling), BYU Marching Band, Linkin Park, disturbed, beach boys, beastie boys, third eye blind, matchbox 20, AEROSMITH, ozzy, destiny's child, hole, charmed, jazz/blues/swing also, I don't have any particular favorites, Pink, Madonna, shakira and some other chicks, blackstreet, 2pac, smashing pumpkins, and I'll stop now...

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My list of bands is too long to post.

Dana

4. LaurenFett

LaurenFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I love how you threw in the BYU Marching Band in the thick of all those hard core bands. It sure makes me feels special!

5. Insanitys_Crescendo

Insanitys_Crescendo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Just out of curiousity, to see if I share similar musical tastes with anyone, does anyone else listen to (or has anyone even heard of) any o' the following? *deep breath* Anthrax, Arch Enemy, Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Borknagar, Cannibal Corpse, Children of Bodom, Control Denied, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Demons and Wizards, Dimmu Borgir, Domine,DragonLord, Drakkar, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Edge of Sanity, Edguy, Elvenking, Freternia, Hammerfall, Helloween, Hourglass, Iced Earth, Imagika, Immortal, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Jag Panzer, Joe Satriani, Judas Priest, Kamelot, King Diamond, King's X, Kreator, Manowar, Megadeth, Metallica, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, Nevermore, Nightwish, Nostradameus, Opeth, Pain, Queensryche, Rhapsody, Rush, Sepultura, Skyclad, Slayer, Soilwork, Sonata Arctica, Steel Attack, Suidakra Testament, Symphony X, Therion, Vader, Virgin Steele, and Vision Divine.

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Ye Freaking Gawds, somebody else who goes for creative music and not top 40 :)

I'm there with Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, the 2nd half of Demons and Wizards (I think Hansi was drunk and slowly sobering up the recording day), Jag Panzer, Rhapsody, Therion, Symphony X, Ynwgie, Nightwish, and Manowar. I've been meaning to get into Vision Divine, Kamelot, After Forever, and more of the Prog scene.

Glad to meet you Insanitys_Crescendo.

-Void

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Spoo:
    First of all, the greatest Aquabats! song of all time is Powdered MILK Man, not Powdered Toast Man.

Second,
    I'm a big fan of ALL of the Aquabats stuff (Not just under one huge blanket, but by critique of every single song), but feel that their The Aquabats Vs. The Floating Eye of Death is the pinnacle of the rock-out-ness. It's got a very more mature sound.

Basically, The Aquabats make you feel happy when you're sad, yet can still touch you with some of their more serious stuff.

For instance, I share a special bond with the song, Chemical Bomb. Why? Because I listened to it right before I discovered what was happening on September 11th. It's quite a resonant song in that context.

By the way, Herbie Hancock is coming soon with an all-star combo! Anybody else going?

8. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Hey! They Might Be Giants isn't Top 40! I'm somewhat cultured (or should I say uncultured). I also like Trio and Yello, but nobody's heard of 'em, really. Yello plays the song "Oh Yeah" in Ferric Bueller's day off...

9. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Hehehe, yeah... Powdered Milk Man. Funny how I can sing all the lyrics, but I still say the title wrong EVERY TIME.

But hey, powederd toast man was cool too!

"Powedeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred Tooooooooooooooooast Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!"

Ahh, good times =)

10. Tori_Dakk

Tori_Dakk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    Yeah Lauren I thought you'd like that I threw in BYU Marching Band! Rock on!

11. Insanitys_Crescendo

Oct 26, 2002
    Nice to meet you as well VoidDancer.
    It's not very often I get the chance to meet someone with similar musical tastes. You should check out Elvenking. They are medieval folk metal. Their webpage is www.elvenking.net Their guitarist is really nice. He signs albums for me and gives me discounts on shirts and cd's in return for anime pictures that I draw for him. It's pretty cool. I'm also pretty stuck on Dark Tranquillity's new album, Damage Done.

12. jedimotion

jedimotion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2002
    Hey I_C, do you like Dixie Dreggs? Or Steve Morse? I saw him at the Zephyer a few years back. I am a big fan.
    Oh yeah, I have seen They might be giants over 10 times! I never realized how lame I was until I said that.

13. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    I downloaded Powdered Milk Man, and found it hilarious. Thanks for the heads up.

14. Insanitys_Crescendo

Oct 26, 2002
    I haven't really heard Steve Morse but I do like the Dixie Dreggs. I believe Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater used to play for them. He's freaking amazing. He'd have to be to get a full ride scholarship to Juilliard when he was 9. If you haven't heard Dream Theater, check them out. I saw them in Denver about 8 months ago. It was awesome.

15. jedimotion

Sep 12, 2002
    I like Dream Theater. They are amazing live, that is for sure.
    Steve Morse is AMAZING. If you don't check him out soon you are killing time, that you could be loving! Wow, I sound kinda stupid sometimes....

16. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    There's nothing stupid about music if you mean it :) You should have heard me after I discovered Jag Panzer and their Thane to the Throne album. Once I discovered what it was, a custom version of the entire play of MacBeth by a metal group, I wouldn't shut up over it :)

17. jedimotion

Sep 12, 2002
    I meant the phrases I was using. I felt kinda stupid cause I don't really type or speak like that....But thanks!
    Also, for anyone who cares, I am playing a show at Papa Lee's on University Ave. on Dec. 2, at 9:00pm. Instrumental Acoustic indie stuff...woah, shameless promotion? I had better quit while I am ahead.

18. Insanitys_Crescendo

Oct 26, 2002
    I agree Void, Thane to the Throne truly is a great album. I especially liked the last track, Tragedy of Macbeth. If you haven't already, you should check out their newest album Mechanized Warfare. It's not as good as Thane to the Throne, but it's pretty good.

19. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Mechanized warfare didn't touch me as much. I also have The Age of Mastery and The Fourth Judgement, for some reason Thane to the Throne is the only one I love of their work.

20. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Wow! A concert on my birthday!

Now where the heck is Papa Lee's?

21. jedimotion

Sep 12, 2002
    Dec. 2 is your birthday? I have a niece and a friend with that birthday as well. Cool.
    Papa Lee's is on University Ave and 100 N.
    Good food, cool shows.

22. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Bouncing Souls rule!! So does Mr. T Experience!!

23. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    How'd the show go?

24. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Just found out there is a Blind Guardian/Symphony X concert this weekend in San Diego that I'm going to try and make.

25. Insanitys_Crescendo

Oct 26, 2002
    I am sooooo envious. I wanted to go to that concert very badly. Alas, I had no means of transportation and so I couldn't go. Symphony X and Blind Guardian are both awesome bands. Symphony X's new album, the Odyssey, is superb. Especially the title track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.