main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, we from Germany grew up with the Arminius story and usually in it the romans are the bad guys, so I would expect not too many German users who join as legionaries :p Serious, I think the Battle of the Teuteburger forest was such a defining moment fpr Germanic history, it would probably temp some Germans to play in it. Not because we are fans, but simply because we all were forced to know quite a bit about it through school education. Actually my family owns a bit of the forest we talk about. Just a tiny bit, but I grew up very close to it. Even found an antique arrow when I was a child. Also only my father realized that.

Anyway, as the first game based on historical events AND the first game set in Rome I would be tempted to play, I must admit. Also my time is a rare good nowadays.

BLemelisk likes this.
  2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I know we've had a few attempts at historical games in the past - my very first game, way back in 2005, was a poorly-conceived attempt at a game about the Third Crusade.

History is way cool, so I'd love to see someone with a passion try their hand at it. That being said, I will be silently critiquing their grasp of history :p

3. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Id say go the "Spartacus"-narration style with the war for Germania might be kinda cool. Just the rough historcal facts and around it action, villiany and cool characters. Man, if Fin plays Arminius you will probably have Germans strom that game to partcipate :p

4. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've got a pretty decent understanding of the Roman military, which is something that not everyone would be a fan of playing as, to be sure. I'll definitely be thinking about this, thanks for the great feedback everyone. :D

5. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    ugh roman military really?[face_dunno]

6. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I'll pretend I didn't read that :p

7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I wouldn't mind a Roman Gladiator centered game.

Speaking of historical games... we've had a few WWII games but they never really got anywhere. I think it boiled down to either A) players got too spread out across the planet and had only the GM to interact with, B) it ended up being a strategy game or C) had no real story for players to follow and was just a shoot em up game.

I'd like to see someone who knows the period well enough and make an attempt at it again. But how to do it? Go MoH/CoD, Wolfenstein, BoB, or what? Which front? Pacific? Eastern? Western? Africa? What year? Should it follow the history or do players make their own history? Etc.

8. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    A The Good German - era spy RPG has potential, because you've almost got more freedom to tell a story at that point in time since you don't have the major military operations to work around - if you'd go the espionage route.

9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Make it a straight out commando adventure story. Where Eagles Dare, or The Guns of Navarone spring to mind. Or just pastiche The Great Escape. Basically, corral players so they can't get away from each other.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Well well well, while looking through my files for stories I've been writing, came across something that I think I never started but fits perfectly with the current discussion of Rome. You'll note how old it is by who was Mod at the time. :)

Colosseum: Gladiator Games

WELCOME to the Colosseum, the most entertaining gladiator bowl in all of the Roman Empire! Come inside and watch man versus man or beast shed blood, hack limbs, and behead oppenants for glory, fame, and honor!

There will be Action...

Gore...

Blood...

and Orgies, or maybe not orgies. You will not be disappointed with the Colosseum's annual Gladiator Games! Witness the triumph of the Roman Legionaries as they fend off the barbaric Goths from the north! Cheer on the infamous gladiator, the Spaniard, as he slaughters the hordes of Hannibal!

Watching not your thing? Prefer to be in the action instead? Never fear! The Colosseum is ALWAYS looking for new blood to pit against man eating tigers, bloodthirsty gladiators, and filthy zaarins...I mean barbarians!

[B][U]The Rules[/U][/B]

1: ABSOLUTELY NO GOD MODING. Those who are caught god moding will find their character struck down by a gladiator and removed from the game. If you do not know the definition of god moding then see below:

[blockquote][I][B]god mod-ing[/B] (v.) - [1] to commit an act or action in a way that does not allow room for error or failure, [2] to play in an unfair fashion by granting oneself greater powers, playing unfairly, or having conduct unsuitable to the rules of the game, [3] to control the actions of another in a way that gives the god-modder an unfair advantage in a situation, [4] to deny that a character is imperfect and are susceptible to failure or death, [5] to act like a god.[/I][/blockquote]

If you are uncertain as to whether your post breaches this rule, send a draft to the Game Master and ask him to review it before you post it. If it does breach it, he will point out where you need to edit.

2: Keep out of character chat to a minimum. If you have questions, private message the Game Master.

3: Obey the rules and regulations of the RPF and the TOS. Failure to do so will result in your demise as the Patron Moddess strikes you down with a ban bolt!

4: NO ONE SENTENCE POSTS! Take the time to think about what you are going to write. Quality not quantity is the rule here!

5: Use the TAG system and be curtious to other players that are also tagged besides you. That means you must learn patience and wait for the tagged people to post at least once in response.

6: Most important of all, HAVE FUN!
    [hr]

[B][U]The Positions Taken[/U][/B]
    The Patron Goddess - NaboosPrincess
    The Roman Emperor - GrandAdmiralJello
    The Gladiator - CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

[B]The Patron Goddess[/B], she is our goddess whom we pay tribute to and worship.

[B]The Roman Emperor[/B], he is our leader. Divine by right and by the Gods. He has the power to decide your fate after a game. It is he who you will want to please so you had better put on a really good fight!

[B]The Gladiator[/B], he is the unbeatable warrior of the colosseum, a superstar. Loved by all who watch his battles and feared by all who have to face him in the colosseum.

[B][U]The Gladiator Positions[/U][/B]
    The Established Gladiator*
    The Unwilling Slaves
    The Thrill-seeking Senator*
    The Fame-seeking General*
    The Glory-seeking Citizen*

[B]The Established Gladiator[/B], he is like the Gladiator, loved and feared. His glory is [I]your[/I] death.

[B]The Unwilling Slaves[/B], are men and women captured from far away lands or just plain criminals and murderers. These are the warriors who are forced to fight for their lives. Very few become established gladiators.

[B]The Thrill-seeking Senator, Fame-seeking General, Glory-seeking Citizen[/B], these people use to watch the games as spectators. They have become drunk with envy as other men become gladiators and are loved and feared by all. They have abandoned their previous life to become the superstars of the colosseum. Only the skilled survive to become established gladiators.

[B]*[/B] Private Message the Game Master for the position.
    [hr]

[B][U]Weapons & Armor[/U][/B]

Each position has access to certain weapons and armor and depending on the position, each one have a certain amount. If you have questions about the weapons and equipment, feel free to private message the Game Master.

[B]The Established Gladiator, The Thrill-seeking Senator, The Fame-seeking General[/B] have access to the following weapons: gladius (shortsword), morningstar, mace, spiked club, club, footman's mace, battleaxe, warhammer, halberd, dagger, dirk, knife, crossbow, shortbow, spear, javelin, sling, staff sling, quarterstaff, scimitar, khopesh, trident, whip, or sickle.

They also have access to the following armor: hide, padded, leather, studded leather, banded, ringmail, half-plate, buckler shield, or body shield.

They can only have two weapons and body armor or one weapon, body armor and a shield.

[B]The Glory-seeking Citizen[/B] has access to the following weapons: gladius (shortsword), spiked club, club, battleaxe, dagger, dirk, knife, shortbow, spear, sling, staff sling, quarterstaff, trident, whip, sickle, quarterstaff, warhammer, or mace.

They also have access to the following armor: hide, padded, leather, studded leather, or buckler shield.

They can only have two weapons and body armor or one weapon, body armor, and a shield.

[B]The Unwilling Slaves[/B] have access to the following weapons: gladius (shortsword), spiked club, club, dagger, dirk, or knife.

They also have access to the following armor: buckler shield.

They are paired and chained together. One slave has one weapon and the other slave has a shield.
    [hr]

[B][U]The Character Sheets[/U][/B]

Sheet for [B]The Established Gladiators, The Thrill-seeking Senator, The Fame-seeking General, The Glory-seeking Citizen[/B]

Name:
    Weapons:
    Armor:
    Description:

Sheet for [B]The Unwilling Slaves[/B]

Name:
    Description:
    [hr]

[B][U]Additional Info[/U][/B]

Those who choose to be slaves, you will be paired off with another player. One player will be given a weapon and the other will only have a shield. Both of you will be chained together by the opposite wrist.

To rise in position or get better weapons and armor, you have to survive each battle. The more bloodshed and gore you cause, the more glory you get and the more glory you have the harder the battles become.

I can start that if anyone wants me to. I'll have to adjust some of the info to fit with the times. And if you think it needs some tweeking before it should be posted, let me know. Thinking of changing The Gladiator to a playable character instead of a GM character.

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Haha - NP! Now that's a name I haven't heard on a long time... a long time...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Haha, a Gladiator game from before my time. I'll leave te discussion to the archeologists around here.

Considering WWII I always hoped for a big game with a broad scope. Godlike from TSG looked like that one. Anyway, we got the expertise. Wie just never had the game.

13. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    My thoughts exactly. Oh WWII game would be epic but given how many people are Role players it would have have focus on a Single Unit and their struggles against the German war machine. It be great especially if followed something like a Saving Private Ryan sort of idea just with a different object or set of objectives now that would be worth RPing in :).

14. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm staying off the boards for the most part right now...but I am something of a history buff, and WW2 is my specialty...so if anyone needs help with starting a WW2 game, just ask and I'll do what I can.

15. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Hasn't the world been a little World War 2'ed out, though?

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Fixed, and I'd argue the main problem of having a WWII game is the sheer politicization of it all. I'd be very hesitant to play in one based on my own personal convictions, really.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think I prefer the broader approach - in fact, I think personally I'd be most drawn to a straight adaptation of Axis & Allies where turn-by-turn actions are justified as in-character decisions by military high commands, not unlike Chessboard from back in the day. That could just be because I'm a big fan of A&A, though. :p

BLemelisk and Penguinator like this.
  18. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    And to think I was just about to write up a Vietnam game :p

19. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, it should not aim for realism, I'd say. It is too complex for that. And as someone coming from a family which suffered from the Holocaust badly, I am not sure how I would feel about that. But the human drama side military side certainly is fascinating.

Also I must confess, I see the same trouble with a WWII squad based Game than I did with all other squadgames before ... people seem not to like them anymore.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually that argument is only true if you plan to have everybody played by another player . . . then you indeed need 180 million RPers. :p Yeah, I thinki you don´t need many players to play on a grand scope. But the question of "realism" versus "hollywoodism" and large versus small might come up. Although Sirak got a point. Squad games did not do so good in the latter years.

Anyway, did people know I was very close to doing a WW I game instead of SotS? Really, I was. Wonder if I have the OP somewhere around.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's perhaps for the best - I would've invariably submitted an armless chaplain. :p

22. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    No, actually that would habe been a good reason to do it :p

23. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    ^:)^ I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

24. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I would like to point out Saints original idea about LA's idea. A hollywoodesque mission-based game might be fun. No big realism issues, just a WW2-Adventure. I feel like that could be good. Then I think, I am diggin Squad-games. I really do.

Penguinator likes this.
  25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I can see that working better than going for realism.