main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interesting thing at the Theatre today...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DEATHstickJUNKIE, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEATHstickJUNKIE

DEATHstickJUNKIE Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    As I was leaving the theatre today (didn't see star wars..) I overheard a conversation between an older couple, which made me laugh. I slowly trailed them to hear what they were saying...

This is what I heard:

woman - "...why wasn't Jabba the Hutt in this one?"
    man - "...probably because he didnt belong in the story, probably will be in the next one.
    woman - "hmm... well Boba Fett will probably be in the next one."
    man - "yeah, cause in the old ones, he's green, and all battered up. I liked it how they showed his dad, with a shiny new costume."

what got me about this couple was that they were at least 60 years old, and I was very happy to hear that they actually understood the development of charecters, and that they also knew that Episode 2 came before A New Hope.

I still couldnt believe they enjoyed discussing this, since I have never met anyone from the pre-generation enjoying and absorbing the Star Wars epic.

If this thread goes anywhere, I want to hear about the older (or younger) generations that expeirience Star Wars, and their views on it.

2. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    That's the greatest! [face_laugh]

I still need to take my grandmother to see AOTC. She just told me she's never seen a single Star Wars movie.

3. Master-Yoda

Master-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Cool! Nice to see somone old in to star wars, that knows about it! :)

4. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Man - "look out a stalker."
    Woman - "Police! Police!"
    Police - "Stick em up. You gonna rot in jail till Episode III."
    DEATHstickJUNKIE - "NooooooooooooooooO!

5. Master-Yoda

Feb 20, 2002
    My grandmother saw TPM, She did not know what to think she liked Jar Jar though she did not understand the story having not seen any other star wars movie :) She understands Jar Jar but not the plot.

6. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well apart from one young child (I'd say 7 or so) saying "I don't like this part mommy" during the confession scene I haven't heard much in terms of over-hearing reactions at the theater.

However, I did hear a few kids leaving the theater on May 18th exclaiming, "Wow I didn't think Yoda would do that!" "Yeah I thought he was just going to stand there (or "back down" I can't remember).

Then again I also heard someone say that the Anakin/Padme love story was "totally lame" which was not what I wanted to hear but oh well.

I know my dad loves the film and he is definitely "pre-generation" if you take my meaning. ;) I think he saw the original Star Wars in theatres but he didn't think much of it at that time.

7. DarthPJ

DarthPJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    My Dad loves the stories (he is 66 and a grandfather as well). He just saw AOTC this week after waiting for the crowds to thin, as he likes to say.

Perhaps this will make people think less of this posting, but he also has picked up on the Harry Potter books and really enjoys them. He thought the movie was ok, not great, but good, and is eagerly awaiting the next installment of that as well.

Finally, he also enjoys LOTR and, while not being able to stomach the books too much (too complicated reading he says), he liked the movie and welcomes the next as well.

Who said older people aren't "with it" :)

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I had a funny occurance involving some kids while waiting in line.
    The two kids behind me go like this:
    Kid #1: I heard Boba Fett is in this one and he fights Obi-Wan
    Kid #2: No that's his dad, Jenna Fett!
    Kid #1: No it's Boba Fett, he's in this movie!
    Kid #2: No it's Jenna Fett, he's Boba's dad.
    Me(turning around to talk to them): Actually, it's Jango Fett. He is the bounty hunter that fights Obi-Wan. However, his young son Boba is in the movie as well.
    Kid #1: You like Star Wars??
    Kid #2: Who doesn't? Everyone likes Star Wars!
    Me: *laughs* I wish that were so.

The two kids brought such a big smile to my face.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's great :). The mind of a child truly is wonderful.

10. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    "Me: *laughs* I wish that were so."

:)

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I was seriously thinking of that quote "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" after that happened. It was great to see two little kids so filled with excitement about Star Wars.

12. Master-Yoda

Feb 20, 2002
    quoteing Yoda are you KnightWriter? :)

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Nope. My syntax is a little different.

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The kid sitting behind me one time fell asleep. Maybe my head was in his way.

15. OverIguana

OverIguana Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    awesome thread...

...cause thats what its about, people having fun.

Although the emphasis is really on the kids, I think its great to hear about older folks enjoying the movies as well.

Wish I had a good story, but alas nothing really stood out in my mind. I do recall hearing many positive things when leaving the theater though.

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    When my grandma came to visit my family over this last thanksgiving i was already talking about AOTC no-stop... and then i found out she had never seen TPM!!!!!

i kinda got all excited and made her watch it that night. of course, she hadn't seen any of the OT in like 15 years, so i have to keep stopping it and explaiing things to her, but i enjoyed it. she liked it too, because it was like a bonding thing since she lives far away in alaska. :)

Hehe :D, i she even said she really like it and thought it was very impressive, but i have a hunch she was just saying that to humor me. she's really not into watching movies even remotely close to starwars. oh, well :)

17. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    My favorite moment was when I saw Monsters Inc and everyone gasped when the Ep2 trailer came on. I heard two kids behind me talking they looked about 8 years old.

kid 1 "wow"

kid 2 "what's this?"

kid 1 "Star Wars, I can't wait to see it"

kid 2 "I never even saw the first one"

kid 1 "Are you crazy?"

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, I didn't hear much in terms of indivual crowd reactions. However, my entire theater went nuts at the sight of Yoda. I normally hate people talking in theaters, but this case I was too caught up in the movie to care. Plus, it was a cool reaction.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    kid 1 "wow"

kid 2 "what's this?"

kid 1 "Star Wars, I can't wait to see it"

kid 2 "I never even saw the first one"

kid 1 "Are you crazy?"

I should print that out and frame it. That's classic to the core.

20. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Kids rule. :D

When I was crossing the street to the theater with my mom last weekend to see that Spirit movie (I know, no AOTC - it was painful), two of 'em came skipping by...

"And then the Sith Lord comes back in Episode 5!"
    "Boba Fett dies soon, right? Is it the next one?"

21. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yeah I know I'll never forget that conversation even though I wasn't part of it. I'm betting that first kid loved AotC and wouldn't even comprehend the bashers here.

22. DarthOnion

DarthOnion Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    I had a similar experience... I work at Borders as a cashier and this older couple came up with a huge amount of books to buy. Some were random interest books (gardening, WWII, stuff like that) but I'd say 90% of their $200 purchase was Star Wars related. The AOTC novelization, various EU books. At first I thought they had a grandchild to spoil who was a Star Wars fanatic, but when I asked who the books were for they said, "They're for us." I know there are members of the older generation who like the Star Wars universe, but I'd never met a couple who both enjoyed it with the same fervor. I thought that was really cool.

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That seriously just encompasses so much of what Lucas was originally aiming for, and still does hope for in the films.

24. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well there was also the guy in Ralphs that told his wife that he wanted to get the new lego Slave 1 and when she asked why that one was so important, he nonchalantly responded with "well it's Boba Fett's dad"

Then at Costco I saw a guy about my age (late 20's) buying the AotC cross sections and the Visual dictionary. Then as my wife and I were leaving he was sitting on a bench by the food area looking at them.

25. DarthOnion

DarthOnion Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    I see people at Borders of all age groups and backgrounds checking out the Visual Dictionary and the Art of AOTC... we have a display set up next to the registers. But still... I don't think anything compares to how cool it was to see two grandparents lighting up and having nothing but good things to say when I asked them about AOTC. They were both equally excited!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.