main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN International Conference on Winston Churchill/Atlantic Alliance at UT

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by senator__padme, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senator__padme

senator__padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    I'm not sure how many of you would be interested, but I just thought I'd mention this. The Howard Baker Center for Public Policy (at UTK) and the Churchill College Archives Centre (at the University of Cambridge) are presenting an international conference on "The United States and Great Britain: The Legacy of Winston Churchill's Atlantic Alliance" at the University of Tennessee. It's March 29-30, and guests include Henry Kissinger, Jack Kemp, Lawrence Eagleburger, Howard Baker, and Winston S. Churchill.

More information is available here, at the Baker Center website. I'm taking the companion seminar to the conference this semester, and so far the conference looks like it's going to be really interesting and a lot of fun (well, at least for Poli-Sci nerds like me...) I'm hoping to get to be an assistant to one of the VIP guests... if not, I'm at least thankful that I get out of class at 9 am on Wednesdays so I can go to the conference all day. [face_dancing]

There are also going to be two book discussions at the downtown branch of the public library on March 13 and 15, from 7 to 8 pm. The professor leading the seminar, Dr. Michael Fitzgerald, will be leading discussion of Churchill's My Early Life and Jon Meacham's Franklin and Winston the first night, and William Shawcross's Allies and Thomas Barnett's The Pentagon's New Map the second night. (Meacham and Barnett are also scheduled to appear at the conference.) I don't think I'll get to go to the library discussions, as I have a midterm that Friday, but it should be pretty interesting, and Doc is a really interesting person. This is the second class I've taken with him, and he's my advisor for my major.

I hope y'all can make it to the conference--I've been looking forward to it since November!

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Cool, thanks for the info. That's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.