main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is Disney Capable of Learning the Lessons of John Carter and Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The best acting in the PT came from veterans like Christopher Lee who didn't really need Lucas's direction to deliver lines properly.

The problem is they weren't the main characters, those who were often performed poorly.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It means that you form a connection with the character in some way. Most heroes/protagonists have something about them that you as the viewer can make you relate to them and thus like them more.

Luke was a kid who wanted to leave his boring life where he felt trapped and wanted to go explore the worlds and have an adventure.

Bridget Jones is a woman who is self conscious about her weight who is also incredibly self conscious about the fact that she's perpetually single.

The Incredibles is about a superhero who was forced into retirement and now just feels like his life is wasting away. He wants nothing more than to be amazing and awesome like he used to be.

These are just a few examples of what a relatable character is.

Unless you were just being sarcastic. In that case, :p .

EviL_eLF and UseTheForceLady like this.
  3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    John Carter failed because no one had ever heard of it, besides, Disney fully made that movie.

Episode VII is still being written/shot/directed by LucasFilm.

4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I was ignoring this thread because it's getting to the point where I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but all of this 'Disney needs to do this'/'Has Disney learned this?' stuff really needs to stop. Disney has very little to do with this film beyond distributing it and being the parent company of Lucasfilm.

LawJedi and ThatWanFromStewjon like this.
  5. Commander Ciege

Commander Ciege Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats flattering! I received my degree in creative writing and taught it for a fews years in an economy like this... the "arts" are the first to go

6. Commander Ciege

Commander Ciege Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Brilliantly said!

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    To be fair, the media is saying exactly the same sort of thing, Disney clearly haven't made their business relationship with the companies they own obvious seeing as the majority seem to think Disney has control over everything they do.

8. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Who the heck is Bridget Jones? :p

9. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    For one thing the deal hasn't been closed yet. It still needs government approval and what not (anti trust crap). Secondly I'm not sure how much of the specifics in such deals are ever made public, but we do know that in the case of Marvel, Disney had no intent of forcing its will over Marvel's team.

In the case of Lucas... the guy is a shrewd business man who as we know has very strong feelings about the creative rights of a filmmaker. His companies are healthy and well run. Money was no issue. I just don’t see why anybody would assume he’d willingly enter into a bad business agreement that does harm to what he’s built.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    You are contradicting yourself.

You don't want an exact copy but just another character kind of exactly like Han?

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Likewise, I can't believe the number of people who have deluded themselves into believing the acting was something superb in the OT.

Because it wasn't. Lucas choose actors who already closely reassembled his characters.

The only one who had to become someone else was McGregor - he had to be like Alec Guinness.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Similar to Han, in that said character would fill the same role in the story and beahve in a similar manner. They don't have to look or dress the same or have the same job, but the biggest problem with the PT for me was it lacked what Han Solo brought to the OT, the ST needs a character like that if it is to succeed.

13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Really so you regularly find yourself farming water on a desert planet, fighting crime in a rubber suit, fighting aliens and making out with red skinned women, brawling with Nazis on runaway tanks, climbing up the sides of buildings, doing gravity defying Kung fu. All while evading the attention of killer robots from the future?

Cool. Let's hang out!!!

And what's trolling? That means something where I'm from that I hope is different from what you are asking!!

14. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I'd better not see you in a thread complaining about reboots and Hollywood never doing anything original.....

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    There is plenty that could be listed from the OT too but I wouldn't have the time nor do I care.

16. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You are still saying the same thing.

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Basically what you are doing is considered trolling. :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I hope we get a character named Duke Starwalker who has to rescue Princess Maia and then blow up the Doom Dome.

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I thought Anakin was the most relatable character. I mean, most everybody has to go off to school and leave their mom, and anyone who has been told from a young age that they are talented will recognize the egotistical delusions and paranoia that Anakin went through when he was older.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But the PT wasn't a reboot, it was meant to link together with the OT.

You had very similar characters in both Trilogies as I outlined before. The main difference between the two was that the PT didn't have anyone in the Han Solo role which is what made the OT work so well (in part). Having the selfless guy and the selfish guy together was a great partnership because they both had very different ways of looking at things and reacting to situations, who besides Qui Gon did that in the PT?

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I wasn't - and my statement remains the same.

These are fantasies and escapism because these characters are not like real people.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't buy this line of reasoning for an instant. No one had ever heard of Avatar, or the original Star Wars for that matter, prior to its marketing campaign.

23. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I think your first point is wrong. Phantom menace made big bucks as did all the transformers. Big scale effects don't make a movie better, but they do seem to have a lot to do with putting butts in seats.

24. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You shouldn't be flattered.

And your ideas for the PT cause me to doubt you.

25. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I assume it's considered "trolling" because I'm disagreeing with people who just refuse to listen. Or read in this case.