main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it really Lucas' fault?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Oakessteve, I think it's about time we ask your cat some questions ;)

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "It's not being "bratty" to make your movie the way you want to make it. How dare you accuse him of not caring about his own work. "

ill let Lucas answer that question...

"It's good enough"

and

see the sig...

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
  4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If TPM is good enough, why are you guys complaining about it?

5. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    those are Lucas's words, not ours.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    So?

Lucas is saying good enough is good enough, and that he isn't as "passionate" as the guys who get all bent out of shape over these movies he's made.

7. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    stay on topic.

you asked how anyone dare accuse Lucas of not caring and i give you his own words stating that he is not that passionate about the story.

whats the problem?

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    He is just saying SW isn't his life, and that he shoots for good enough. If you would print the part of the interview preceeding those comments, you would see that he is just comparing his passion with the passion of some of the more over the top fans.

For him, SW isn't his life. He likes it and he enjoys what he is doing, but it isn't his life. This is all part of his bit about how fans should have well-rounded lives.

9. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "He is just saying SW isn't his life, and that he shoots for good enough."

lucky us. it must be nice when you are happy that the creator of your favorite film saga strives for mediocrity.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Not mediocrity, but good enough.

Making a film is all about knowing when something is good enough, because perfection is an impossible goal to make.

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    You're both right. A 'C' is "good enough" to pass, but is still a mediocre grade.

12. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Go show us -your- idea of passion and great moviemaking.

LOTR, the Godfather movies (well, 1 and 2), and several others, including many Kurosawa flicks (HF, Seven Samurai, Ran, and Rashoman to name a few) as well as the OT.

Hmm, those movies are about as good as TPM, bring me movies that are better than TPM.

Those movies are all BETTER than TPM, by a long shot. They always don't show on the surface, but those movies require a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get made. Sorry Gomer, but did you even see those movies? How could anyone but a select few say those are just "as good" as TPM?

I would even say a recent film I saw, Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can, is better than TPM and AOTC. It's clever, sprightly, and touching, and it's considered one of Spielberg's smaller movies. And even that, in my opinion, outclasses George's $150 million dollar overbloated "epic".

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I just figure since "good enough" was fine for the classic trilogy it should be just as adequate for the prequels. Once again we see that the nagativists expect perfection, which is by definition unobtainable. It wasn't attained for the classic trilogy so why should we expect it for the prequels?

TPM took a lot of blood sweat and tears as well, but speaking to most of the negativists, you would think Lucas just hit the "crap out a SW movie" button and that was that.

14. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Hardly. Many of us think that Lucas slaved away for a long time on the film, poured his time and energy in copious amounts into it, and micro-managed the thing in his rustiness into a subpar SW movie.

The same "type" of mistakes are in both the OT and PT, but not in the same quantity, which speaks to many of us of rust in the machine.

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    but you see... "good enough" was not good enough for ESB, and thanks to Kershner and Kurtz, "good enough" was changed to great when they pushed the limits contrary to Lucas's wishes.

16. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    I think George's "good enough" standards of today are way different (and even below) his "good enough" standards back then.

or

George really has the same "good enough" standards as before, but he just doesn't have a good partnerships to keep his ideas in check and offer good contructive feedback.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If that's so then explain why the prequels are just as good as the classic trilogy.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "If that's so then explain why the prequels are just as good as the classic trilogy."

You've completely misunderstood.

19. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    "If that's so then explain why the prequels are just as good as the classic trilogy."

I can't, because I don't think they are as good as the classic trilogy. I think they're worse.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well, that is your perception then.

21. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    LOL, you can at least spell perception right!

22. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    good spelling not make one great.

23. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Nope, but spinning like Sonic does.

24. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
  25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Is there ever going to be a definitive answer to what, in the end, comes down to personal opinions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.