main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the EU being destroyed by the PT???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ritual, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Tellesto...excellent post. Couldn't say it better myself.

Now to my replies...

It's a unusal happening if people just start bashing EU for no reason in there. The only time I've seen people bash EU is when EUer's start trying to use EU to explain things and/or claiming GL is going put EU characters, vechiles, etc. in the movies.

I whole-heartedly agree Cowboy. I actually despise newbies coming in and starting a thread about, "Where is Thrawn in Episode II" and "Will the Katana Fleet be shown?" But they just don't know any better. When I was 15, I probably would have done that too, if I hadn't of read the PSA FAQ before posting.

But just because some people do that, doesn't mean all EUers have similiar tact.

See, that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Some people agree with Lucas and don't aknowledge the EU at all. To them it doesn't exist. So a lack of knowledge of it isn't ignorance, it's a choice. If you can accept that and stop pestering people with it, they'll stop pointing out how riddled with inconsistencies and how generally bad it all is.

Well, I don't like it if someone is misinformed about something. It can put things in a bad light. And why should I care about what some think?

One example I can cite, is when someone posted about the books in the Classic trilogy forum about 2 weeks ago. First off, wrong place to post, that's a given. But, the guy asked, "Are the SW books any good?" Since that wasn't exactly the right place, he was deluged with Canonist answers to his question, with the often seen, "No, the EU sucks!" In the end, just before the thread was closed, it looked as though the guy had agreed, without ever have reading an EU story. So it was a case where, due to popular opinion, they swayed him from something he may have liked. I don't think that's good. He should have gotten an honest opinion in Lit ( we don't like every book here ) or just bought a paperback and judged for himself. Personally, even when the majority hates something...it's something I usually like, whether it's music, a book, or a movie.

And the re-writes and logical leaps that EU apologists make to try to make everything fit makes you look rather silly.

I don't really mind it. I try not to take SW too seriously...even the stories in the EU and movies. ( Yeah, I liked Jar Jar, Anakin, the whole she-bang in TPM... )

2. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Well said TalonCard, very well said! (Which is why I only watch Star Trek Voyager and never anything else!)
    I just thought of something... I think Star Trek is ripping off Star Wars (again) because with their new series "Enterprise" they go back to before the original series, which is like the Star WArs prequels... did everyone already notice this, or am I actually being intelligent? it doesn't matter, with this stupid cold i feel like my head has been pounded repeatedly with a sledgehammer...

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Hmm, you know star wars is ripping off real life, true stories. All real life true stories are prequels to the modern era, ;).

HISTORY, has eras. There will always be prequels and sequels, everywhere. Starwars didn't event the subject.

4. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    actually, if you know this one story about King Arthur, and Gunivere and Lancelot, you'll see that GL borrowed from that myth for Episode 3 (if the spoiler I read is correct). This evil fairie queen shows Lancelot's wife, through a mirror, that Lancelot and Gunivere have an affair, so Lancelot's wife died of a broken heart. it turns out that Lancelot wasn't the "chosen one" that would protect Gunivere and their land, it was his son, Galahad. the spoiler i heard said that a female Sith Lord seduces Anakin and sends a holorecording of it to Padmé. get the connection between Luke and Anakin? whatever.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Tenel_Ka, that sounds like most of the fan-fiction we see here at the JC.

Episode III is all rumors at this point, because it's barely been made yet. We have no true spoilers.

I can pretty much gauruntee that Obi-Wan and Padme will not have an affair though. That's on the same level as the fanboy expectations of another Maul, or Mandalorians and Jedi having a huge ground battle.

6. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    What Sturm Antilles said. Obi-Wan will NOT have an affair with Padme or anyone for that matter.

~Cowboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.