main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there any music you consider "evil"?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Coolguy4522, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    If so, why?

I personally think that music can have a great power over individuals.

2. Allfi-Verizons

Allfi-Verizons Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    It just kills me when conservatives rant about subliminable (or subliminibibable if you're the president) messages in music.

As for "evil," I'd have to say boy bands are evil. [Removes shades] But seriously... I think some bands out there are there just to spread hatred, which is evil.

3. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I'm convinced that Marilyn Manson's music gives The Devil nightmares.

Truly evil.

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    We all know that music has the power to do great things. It it is reasonable to think that the opposite could also be true. I don't think there's a lot of "evil" music in the mainstream, but there are groups and artists out there who play music to spread their hateful ways. VH-1 recently aired a documentary about those "hate bands", which included racist, anti-semitic and homophobic musicians.

5. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Boy bands and country music. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

6. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The poster asked for "evil", not "bad". Let's answer seriously, please.

7. Radionesiac

Radionesiac Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    ""It just kills me when conservatives rant about subliminable (or subliminibibable if you're the president) messages in music.""

Actually, it's subliminal. The president said "subiminable"

hahah.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    "Evil" music? Give me a break. Yes, there's music that's terrible, and music with a "bad" moral message. But there's no evil music, and more than there are evil hammers out there, or evil pebbles on the ground.

9. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I think that's the same as asking someone, "Are there words you consider evil?" or something of the like. Because that's what music basically is - freedom of speech with a beat to it.

10. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    I think that music designed to inspire hate for another human being is evil...

11. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Yeah there is, bands by the people in my sig for example. Nazi punk bands suck.

12. Rakima_55

Rakima_55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Imperial March. :cool:

~R55~

13. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    I think William Shatner could be used to torture people...

Raindrops... keep falling... on my head.

But, how could music be evil?

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    We can get into a whole "freedom of speech" thing here. I think there are people who are very misguided who make music. Their lyrics may contain offensive and tastless images, but to classify music, or anything else as "evil" is very subjective.

I really listen to most types of music, but if there's something that offends me, I turn it off.

Now, does music cause kids to get guns and kill people or commit suicide? Bull pucky. To blame music or films takes the focus off the real issue of sick kids who have serious mental issues.

15. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Two words . . . Backstreet Boys.

EDIT: Don't blame the music, the movies OR the children. It's called parenting, and if a parent can't get their child to know the difference between right and wrong, a song won't make any difference.

16. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    To blame music or films takes the focus off the real issue of sick kids who have serious mental issues.

That's the POINT of blaming music. It's the modern witch hunt.

17. ismaren

ismaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2002
    i really don't consider any music evil. It's all up to interpretation. I don't agree with what eminem says in his songs, but the beat is still really catchy. The same with Marilyn Manson. I tend to like his songs, although i'm not into the whole christianity is evil thing.

I've never been a fan of censoring music either. If for whatever reasons you find the song evil or offensive then just don't listen to it. Any song can be corrupted into something evil. You just have to take everything with a grain of salt and remind yourself that these people aren't gods. They're human too, and are prone to human errors.

alright.. i lie. down with pop and boy bands!!!!

18. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Well today at work I had to listen to Slim Shady's new CD, and I would classify that as evil.

19. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    uh "evil" from You point of view or reality?

20. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    There's no such thing as evil music, only evil lyrics.

21. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Never underestimate the power of music.

I say use your best judgement, and just know what you're putting into your mind.

'What we behold we become'

22. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    if a psychiatrist were to judge me solely on my cd's, he would probably say that i am an extremely eclectic person. while some of the music i listen to would be deemed "evil" by the mainstream society, some of it would be considered "lovely". i am a music appreciator, so i have a little hard rock(my favorite), a little classical, light pop, classic rock, country, and rap. people could say that i was inherently bad because i have marilyn manson, nine inch nails, and actual gothic music. however, i believe that i am an upstanding citizen, being in the army. i am capable of love, being married. i'm not abusive, and i have never tortured small, furry animals.

i admit, i do get angry on almost a daily basis, but i can control my actions. i do not think the music i listen to affects me as much as some music affects others. for instance, while i do not consider it evil, i do not believe children should be listening to hardcore rap. the more i age, the younger the little punk kids grabbing their crotch and telling me to **** myself are appearing in my neighborhood.

the most influential time for humans is when they are children. when i was at my most influential, i listened to the mickey mouse club and mariah carey, etc. nowadays, kids are listening to jay-z and slipknot. do i enjoy slipknot? no, not really, but i can respect those that do. will i let my children enjoy slipknot or it's equivalent? hell, no. will i beat the crap out of my kid the first time he says the F word? damn right i will.

oops, just realized this was the ampitheatre and not the senate floor. sorry for the rambling. :)

23. AutumnFett

AutumnFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    I'd want to ask what is meant by "evil."

I read somewhere (sorry I can't remember the author) that art (any of the arts, so this would include music) cannot be evil, that the Arts are simply ways of communicating Truth as the author/painter/musician sees it. Truth and/or the perceptions of Truth aren't always pleasant, but neither can it be seen as "evil."

24. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    How can you NOT consider Nazi-Skinhead punk evil? It activily promotes rascism.

25. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Evil music?

Yanni
    John Tesh
    Mannheim Steamroller (esp. the Christmas albums)
    Religious Rock/Pop
    Perry Como
    Pat Boone (except I exonerate him because he was Ozzy Osbourne's neighbor and they got along rather well)
    The Osmonds
    Any solo projects by Andy or Barry Gibb
    Anything Pat Robertson listens to

and... I'm convinced that Englebert Humperdinck and Lawrence Welk are direct instruments of Satan himself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.