main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fox and Cameron have officially announced the rumored "Project 880" is in fact Avatar. link

Weta will be doing the FX, the budget will be $200 million and it's scheduled for a summer 2009 release date and is being planned to be shown in 3D in conventional theaters (though I'm puzzled as to how, unless the Lucas/Cameron/Jackson push for theater screen 3D upgrades is actually happening).

It's been over a decade since a non-documentary Cameron picture, and that's just too long for me. I can't wait for this- I remember reading part of a draft of the script a decade ago, which is kinda insane when I think about it. The man's got a flawless filmography (Piranha II doesn't count!), so he has my absolute faith in his ability to deliver on this flick.

2. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm quasi interested. The only two Cameron films I really enojyed are Aliens and the original Terminator, but the long hiatus makes me wonder if he improved or became worse.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    depends how far into his own hype he's willing to go

For the most part he makes excellent movies, and he's done well to cross genres on several occasions and still produce the goods.

My worry here is the age-old concern of visuals at the expense of story (see the PT for a prime example), where you should use the visuals to compliment the story, and not the other way around.

For example, the special effects in The Abyss were amazing for the time, and have aged well, but they weren't the centre of the movie, which is why (imo) it was such a good movie.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    However, unlike Lucas, Cameron's creative impulses seem to be driven by technological breakthroughs- he's always pushing the technical side of things in a manner that serves the means of telling the story, regardless if that means flooding an entire nuclear reactor to film the Abyss in, pushing CGI to the forefront with the T-1000 or actually building new cameras to film with (be they mini DSV rigs or 3D).

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    pushing CGI to the forefront with the T-1000

Good point. Infact, it's an excellent point. What made the T-1000 brilliant was not just that it looked great, but that it actually was an important part of the movie. For example it looked amazing when he walked through the bars in the mental-institute, but beyond the special effects it created a character which seemed to be impossible to stop. It greatly increased the viewers fear of the T-1000, whereas with the original Terminator you knew if you smacked him around enough he'd eventually drop.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah- the T-1000, though similar to some degree to the Water Psuedopod in The Abyss, was integral to the film as a character, whereas the Psuedopod was designed to be a scene that could be cut if the FX didn't work.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    $200 Million? :eek: Does Cameron live in Vegas 'cuz he's a gamblin' man!

I don't know a thing about the source material and I share the concerns about all this new fangled hullabaloo trumping the story, but I sure am curious to see how this turns out.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    200 isn't that big of risk, as we've gotten quite a few mega films of budgets of 200 million or more for their budget over the past 10 years. Factor into that two out of six of his non-documentary films grossed over 200 million in unadjusted dollars (and probably at least four of them after adjustments for inflation), Cameron is a pretty safe bet when it comes to big budgeted flicks.

9. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    T-1000 ROCKD[face_skull] !!!!!

i like Cameron movies and cant wait for this new flick.

saw a T-shirt: "you cant scare me, i've worked for James Cameron"

But what is up the T&A :confused: ?
    Terminator,Aliens,Abyss,T2,Titantic,True Lies,Avatar

EDIT:I realllly wish he was making the TransFormers!!!!!!!!Imagine that![face_hypnotized]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    T&A? Only T1, Abyss and Titanic have had brief glimspes of nudity (though a little more prominent in Titanic for obvious reasons), and Abyss's was more due to medical accuracy ;)

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Plot sounds interesting but I could care less about the supposed 3D stuff. Let's hope it gets media attention because of the story and not the next big SFX to come out of Hollywood.

12. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It's great to see Cameron back. So many directors have stepped up to the plate since.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Did you ever manage to catch one of his IMAX 3D documentaries? If he can bring that to regular films, it will be quite an immersive experience, so long as they stray away from "popping out at ya" gags.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i've never been disappointed by a Cameron film. the more I hear about this film the more interested i get.

15. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    A Sci-fi blockbuster coming to the big screen? And it's probably not going to be awful? Consider me interested. Very interested.

16. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    I was talking about the TITLES of his movies[face_shame_on_you]

sorry for misleading you

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, lol, well, you can toss T2-3D and Aliens of the Deep in there as well, then.

Ghosts of the Abyss and Battle Angel kinda break the pattern though ;)

18. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    That has to be the funniest misleading I've ever seen.

19. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm interested. But I'm hoping his 'other' projects finally see the light of day. It's been way too-fricking long.

I hope he hasn't lost his talent for fine film-making. A lot of his films were awesome. Aliens, anyone? And while Titanic is overrated , it was a pretty decent, emotion-packed film. One of the few to leave me in tears after the ending.

And I'm not exactly a guy who cries a lot.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Reports are going around that a 4-minute trailer for Avatar will be going out to theaters soon- possibly to be played with The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Speculation ranges from it being a full 4 minute trailer to being part trailer, part Cameron/BTS introduction to convey the 3D process.

A 4 minute trailer wouldn't be out of the qustion- IIRC the Titanic trailer was really long.

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2008/AvatarTeaserSm.jpg]

It's also led to one of the more amusing AICN talkback bits I've seen in a long ime- as the Avatar talkback for this subject led to comments of how it will be "****ing our eyes" and "can you **** an eyeball?". Only a couple days later to be followed up by a talkback comment for an advanced review of Twilight: "Who cares? Avatar is ****ing eyeballs soon." [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Cameron hasn't failed me yet, so I'm very interested as we get down to T-minus one year.

22. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    I can't believe that one of my very favorite franchises in modern media has this talentless hack at the helm, a truly sad day. Still looking forward to seeing the casting =)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think you have this confused with M Night Shalaman's Avatar: The Last Airbender adaptation, to which your entire statement likely applies.

Avatar is an original film Cameron has been developing since before Titanic.

24. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    You are absolutely correct, and for a min there I was relieved, until the M Night thing actually sank in =)

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I can't imagine how anyone could refer to James Cameron as a "talentless hack." He's extremely talented at what he does; and a "hack" is someone who does projects just for the paycheck, which definitely doesn't apply to Cameron.