main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Jedi Padawans: idea for younger members?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Big_Daddy_Payne, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Daddy_Payne

Big_Daddy_Payne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Hey everyone,

As those of you who were at the last meeting hopefully remember, I had the idea of putting together some sort of "Young Jedi Academy", where younger Star Wars fans could gather to play games, etc.

Now, while a good idea in theory, I realized that there simply arent enough younger kids that would
    A.) have access to the boards,
    or
    B.) have parents or relatives willing to drive them to the meetings and activities.

So I have thought of another idea, this one that could be incredibly fun and very Star Wars-ish.

The Jedi Padawn Society.

The JPS would be like a "Big Brothers, Big Sisters" group, within our roster. It would allow all members age 21 or older to take on a Padawan, who would be between the ages of 10 and 18. It would be almost a mentor program. The way it would work is like so:

If under 18, the Padawn-to-be is required to introduce their "Jedi Master" to their parents or legal guardian. Once the parents/guardians are satisfied with the child's mentor, said mentor would be responsible for taking the Padawan to meetings, events, and the like. Also, the "Jedi Master" would be responsible to be well-behaved around their padawan, and try to set a good example, esp. if the child is very young. Also, when getting costumes made, it would be a nice touch to get matching Jedi costumes for Master and Padawan for meetings and the like.

I know Tony has already talked of taking Corran as his Padawan, whereas I've taken Saberpilot... this could be a fun and productive way to cultivate younger fans, while showing the community that Star Wars fans are indeed good for something.

The other suggestion I had was this:

If this works out, make it that you may keep a padawan until they turn 20, at which time they become a "Jedi Knight". Once they become 21, they may take on a Padawan of their own. Once you take on a Padawan, you become an official Jedi Master.

Thoughts on this? I truly feel we could make this work with some effort, and could even get this to spread to other boards. Considering we have both a teacher and a social worker in our FanForce, I think a lot of parents might be ok with this, given time and effort. Opinions?

2. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    TOTALL LOVE that idea Big Daddy,got my support.Would work well for me as my padawan lives only 5 mins from me and already met with his parents.

3. silverca03

silverca03 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    that does sound like a great idea i'm sure it would help out alot of the younger fans who can't get to things or parents are a bit worried about meting people

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'll take my brother Nick, now if I could only get him to post here.

5. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Very good idea. Now if we can only convince parents we're on the up and up.

That's the biggest set-back.
    1st step is to heavily promote the website so we get a local reputation. then invite parents along with they're children. who knows "we may take a few of them along with us" (sorry couldn't help myself). Definitely keep meetings in public places.

Someplace more fun for kids, like D&B's or something along those lines.

I will be looking into ads in the newspaper for me so I'll also ask about prices for varying size ads we could place for the site in regards to meetings and such.......

okay while I was posting this I was also on the horn with the post gazette and came up with a price of $88 for a 10 line ad in the announcement section of the Sunday paper. If you have ideas on what should be put in the ad let me know. I will e-mail the lady I spoke with our ad and she will have their people come up with other design possibilities (regarding type only, this is a NO picture ad) (way to expensive for us a present)

I'm thinking some thing along the lines as such:

STAR WARS (this in bold type and centered as the headlline for the ad)

The local chapter of the Star Wars fan club, Steel City Jedi Knights, will be holding a meeting on Sunday, July 28th at 1:00pm at the Borders on McKnight Rd in the North Hills. Anyone interested in Star Wars or joining is welcome to attend. Kids bring your parents along.
    Visit us online at: www.thenewrepublic.net

Now as far as how to raise the money: Initially we are going to have to pay for this out of pocket but I have the idea that if we save just $2 ea a week for the ad we can publish it a week before the meeting every month. until membership increases and maybe get others to contribute. Then we can start having fund-raisers (sp?) for charities and also to help our advertising budget. Back to the initial cost. At $2 a week times just 10 loyal members (most of which will be council and "junior council" members we will easily be able to raise this amount. Think about all the money you spend and then give some thought to the future of this club. $2 a week is a small price for increasing our membership and in the long run should only help. My goal is to within a year have 50 solid members who attend meetings and by the next movie, 250 people active in their membership.

Who's with me? What are you thoughts and ideas for the print ad?

6. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    O.O My master is like a total genius..
    Seriously, though.. this is a great idea. I love it! ^_^ Most younger members (me included) do have trouble convincing family that this is ok.. yada yada yada. And have trouble getting to things (like the august meeting. I have no idea where it is in the first place.. :p)
    And for the ad, that would so rock. We wouldn't need much money from everyone, so that would definately pan out! ^_^
    Oh- and as for D&B, I have their info packet on group thingies. I'm seeing Dan tomorrow so I'll give it to him then.

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I put an ad in the Post about 3 months ago. it didn't get me a positive response. It was put in the events sections for 2 weeks.

8. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    maybe we could add the line "mention this ad and get a free gift." Rox can then unload all those Zam Wessell cards he has. (HA HA).......

or those of us that have extras could make up starter packs to get them involved. ROX that was a joke but seriously, us parting with some of our doubles to help get new members isn't a bad idea.

9. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I think it's an awesome idea!!!!!
    I'm 16 years old, and although my friend is also a big fan she'll be out of town for the next meeting and Monroville is as far as we can get on a bus in under 2 hours (neither of us drive). I know my parents are uneasy about the whole meeting people from on line thing...anyone need a padawan?????

10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I didn't tak eit as a joke, I really have a ton of those. I need to unload them.

11. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I wonder if parents would be happier if besides meeting their child's 'Jedi Master' that Jedi master was also able to produce clearances from the state to prove there was no police records . . . There are two types of clearances we use in education/social services, one shows if any police record, the other shows if any child abuse charges have ever been filed. both cost $10. I can easily get the forms . . . .

Just a thought.

12. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    Likin' the idea GC,coz I'm already in a tough spot,my padawan's parents (mostly mom) isn't too hip to our ideas.So this may be a BIG tension reliever,I hope.

13. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    I discussed the idea w/my parents. Didn't go over exactly 100%, but they'll let me go to the meetings & stuff, at least. Just as it was mentioned, they're uneasy about the internet-real life transition. And they think the whole world is out to get me... (sigh)

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I'll pick up some clearance request forms when I get back and bring them to the July meeting.

As for the parents being very iffy about internet stuff crossing over into real life . . . not to long ago up here in CT the body of a young teen was found in a vaccant lot, murdered by a man she met over the internet. Personally, I'm very much of the better safe than sorry school of thought when it comes to face to face meetings with people you first meet online. And as we've said dozens of times before, parents and guardians are more than welcome to come to any and all meetings. You can bet your lightsaber if one of my nephews or niece announced they wanted to go to a group that they found out about online, one of their parents or aunts would be right there with them. Okay, end of my Public Service Announcement ;)

FYI see the 'Private Message' up on the top of the screen, in between 'log off' and 'options'? If you see a number next to it, click on it. :)

15. silverca03

silverca03 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    YA I have the same problem meeting friends from on here. My parents are really worried about it and stuff. Basically that there isn'ta decent person out there at all but this is a great idea

16. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I think the fact that we hold our meetingings in public places is a "bonus" in our favor. Alot of people, not even kids, are a bit nervous about meeting people from the internet. The fact that we get together in public places, with lots of people around, there is less to be frightened about. And, as Greencat mentioned, parents are more than welcome. Who knows, maybe we'd spark a long lost memory or interest.

17. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    Yeah- that really is like a #1 thing. As long as it's public, my parents are cool w/it. (sigh) I can't wait till I'm 18... Oh well. ^_^ Can't wait for the meeting.. (shivers in anticipation)

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey, anyone heard from Stina-Cri? She hasn't been on the boards for several days . . . and I'm concerned that she might have taken offense at our intended-to-be-friendly-jabs on her 'why I like this board' thread. Or perhaps she's just been busy . . .

19. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I think this is a great idea! I'm actually 18 right now but I don't drive yet and my parent's are still a bit protective when it come's to meeting people from the internet. Just the idea of this might put them more at ease.

On another note, don't worry, greencat. I talked to Stina-Cri today and she's fine about all that. She just can't get on the computer as often as she'd like.

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    thanks for asking, Chris. :)

21. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    no... i am alive just busy lately...i know sarcasm when i see it! hehehe hey Stacina...thanx for letting everyone know i'm alive

22. Saberpilot

May 16, 2002
    We're just glad to hear from you! ^_^ I myself get worried when someone doesn't post a lot..

23. undermindedyouth

undermindedyouth Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    shoot "rox" im no padawan shoot im old skool star wars id be like jedi material shoot

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    We will not go thru this lesson again young one. You will follow my lead.

25. jedi_1966

Oct 31, 2001
    YEAH! What he said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.