main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Jedi Search," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Jedi Search," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

9.9%
  2. 9

28.2%
  3. 8

25.2%
  4. 7

8.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

6.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

0.8%
  7. 4

2.3%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

5.3%
  10. 1 (Poor)

9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/jat_js.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "As the war between the Republic and the scattered remnants of the Empire continues, two children--the Jedi twins--will come into their powers in a universe on the brink of vast changes and challenges. In this time of turmoil and discovery, an extraordinary new Star Wars saga begins....
    While Luke Skywalker takes the first step toward setting up an academy to train a new order of Jedi Knights, Han Solo and Chewbacca are taken prisoner on the planet Kessel and forced to work in the fathomless depths of a spice mine. But when Han and Chewie break away, they flee desperately to a secret imperial research laboratory surrounded by a cluster of black holes--and go from one danger to a far greater one....

On Kessel, Luke picks up the trail of his two friends, only to come face to face with a weapon so awesome, it can wipe out an entire solar system. It is a death ship called the Sun Crusher, invented by a reclusive genius and piloted by none other than Han himself...."

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...ah hahaha..

I'm sure it won't last for long, but it SURE is nice to have 100% of the vote-count voting for "POOR"..

[edit]The Jedi Academy series is one of the factors that led to me abandoning the expanded universe for a good 5 years.....

[edit]The one good thing about the Jedi Academy: It introduced Kyp Durron, who becomes quite the interesting character in the NJO..

dp4m Edit: Apparently you missed the part about no author-bashing being tolerated. Please consider this a warning and further action will result in a banning.

4. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Ah Jedi Search, the most juvenile SW book IMO. However, it did introduce Kyp Durron, who fortunately became a deeper character after this trilogy...

5. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I really enjoyed not only Jedi Search, but all of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I really think that KJA does a great job of capturing the atmosphere of Star Wars; possibly better than most of the other authors to play in George's Sandbox.

JMA

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This series as a whole really grabbed the fast-paced, action-oriented nature of the films, and has alot of interesting stuff going for it. Quite a fun read.

7. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Three things I loved about this book;

-->Original characters in abundance; I like a writer using his imagination
    -->Gantoris' world was delightful
    -->The abundance of Messianic imagery based around Luke (e.g. walking across a lake - admittedly of fire!) that would continue throughout the series

7 out of 10, I'd say.

8. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

8 - A solid book all round.

Also introduced Kyp Durron who I enjoyed in the Trilogy. :D

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I loved that series! [face_love]

It was interesting to see Han and Leia's kids at that young age.

10. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I liked KJA's style of writing here it kept me facinated. This was probably the quickest Star wars book I've ever read. It was a little child like at times but these days what isn't.

11. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Jedi Search was not the greatest piece of literature in SW. I enjoyed the book, as it is a fun read, but I just felt it wasnt very well written. It does have the SW feel to it, which is a plus. I dont want to make it that i didnt enjoy the book, because I did, I just felt that it could have been better.

I gave it a 6.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I thought Jedi Search was pretty good. I gave it an 8. The plot seemed to simple to me although it was enjoyable.

It had its good moments and it's not so good moments. All in all, it was pretty good but not great.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I gave it a 9. The multiple plots really intrigued me, and, next to the TTT, this trilogy set-up the rest of the post-RotJ EU.

14. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I gave it a 9. It is my least favorite of this trilogy, unlike what seem to be the rest of the Universe... I think, where as the others dealed with darkness, light, life... real issues in so many ways, through sci-fi, this one didn't really go into much. I love the scene where Kyp is captured, though, and he's thinking about what he can try to do...

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm gonna wait until I re-read it before I vote.

16. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    OK, maybe they were bad, but they did introduce a few good ideas to the EU.

And at least KJA redeemed himself (IMHO) with "Darksaber"

17. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    All this slamming of these particular books is unbelievable. [face_plain](Directed at the purpled out remarks in not only this thread but the other two for JA novels)

I would have to go with a 7 out of 10. It was Kevin J. Anderson's first whirl at written GFFA literature. IMO it [i]was[/i] successful. [face_happy]

Although it was slow at some points and had some points that were untrue to the films it was original and did'ent center around war war war [b]WAR[/b]!! Like many other still [face_cool] SW books get caught up in.

I really liked Luke's personal side story all throughout the novel. I thought the rendevous with the well done and little mentioned character Gantorius on the molten lava world Eol Sha - was very cool. And Luke's showdown with the magma worm was neat. [face_wink]

The whole idea of Luke searching out canidates should've been introduced earlier in time but at least Anderson actually got that whole EU plot started. [face_happy]

Another [i]Jedi Search[/i] highlight had to be the discoverie of the gifted Kyp Durron in the infamous Spice mines of Kessel and the whole fated run in with Admiral Daala's taskforce and its clash with Moruth Doole's rag tag fleet at the Maw. [face_cool]

Kudos.

<[-]> Saber

18. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    This series was painful for me, personally. Daala just seemed another of a long line of 'arch-nemesis' that didn't really seem that difficult to beat. And the superweapons were just getting sillier and sillier. And Kyp Durron... I don't know, if killing 6 billion people, even soldiers, doesn't push you irrevocably over to the Dark Side, what's the point of having a dark side? This began a long tradition of EU dancing back and forth between the dark and the light, as if it was as easy as pie. It's really taken the bite of the dark side out, for me. I mean, who cares if anyone goes over to the dark side? They're just testing the waters, and they'll come right back over to the light later on.

This is no comment on KJA, of course, as I don't know the guy personally. I just didn't like these books, though I'm glad some people did enjoy them.

19. Boba_Bunny_123

Boba_Bunny_123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2003
    A perfect 10.

A lot of people have a problem with Anderson's writing, and I really don't know why. His stories are fun, fast-paced, and occasionally tongue-in-cheek (esp. in the case of "Darksaber"), and they are all excellent reads. Anderson is one of the best authors of his time, and I really have nothing negative to say about these books.

20. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Thought it was a pretty well written book with an interesting story....except the part about blob races. Worst idea ever.

21. Jawa_Monkey_Droid

Jawa_Monkey_Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    Kevin J. Anderson's GOOD Star Wars Book.

I'm no fan of Anderson's work. That should be obvious... But he did OK with this one. He introduces some interesting characters and seems to make it work. The writing tends to drag from time to time, but on the whole, this is the best KJA Star Wars book out there.

Worth it. In paperback.

22. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    The whole idea of Luke searching out canidates should've been introduced earlier in time but at least Anderson actually got that whole EU plot started.

Well we knew the twins were coming along, and Luke said at the very end of Dark Empire that he was going to rebuild the Jedi.

23. YODA_SITH

YODA_SITH Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    It was just an all aroung good book it had everything to make it great but I still don't think han anc chewie would have been taken down on kessel. a good 8 out of 10.

24. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    8 of 10

While this book isn't the best book in the Star Wars catalogue, it certainly is a decent book. I started reading after being advised by a friend to read it before I started the NJO series, and I was pleasently surprised. I liked the portrayal of Lando's character especially.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Anderson is a good author, and although his style is more suited to children, he captures the feel of the movies better than anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.