main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Jedi Search," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Jedi Search," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

9.9%
  2. 9

28.2%
  3. 8

25.2%
  4. 7

8.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

6.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

0.8%
  7. 4

2.3%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

5.3%
  10. 1 (Poor)

9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    2. Simply a badly written book.

2. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    I like Kyp Durron, but I've read hints here that there are problems on the horizon. I didn't like the author's characterization of Han during the interrogation by Daala. He didn't seem quite the war-hardened smuggler Han I know. And Leia assuming that Han would miss his kids' homecoming because he was off playing sabacc somewhere just didn't ring true. Jacen and Jaina seemed a little too advanced in speech even for Jedi tots. If that was the case, why couldn't they have been less annoying as well? I find it unbelievable that Tarkin, a mere non-Force using human, though cruel and ruthless, could order an entire fleet (correct?) to protect the invention of a weapon more powerful than Death Stars 1 and 2 at the center of the dreaded Maw - and the Emperor and Darth Vader not know about it. No way. And I thought Luke should be a little more discriminating about whom he trains to use the Force. Gantoris is scary to me at this point. And if Mara is going to be linked to Lando, I'm through. I'll just skim the next two books in the series which a patron donated to our library.

3. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    8 out of 10.
    This book was my intro to Star Wars, and it is one of my favorites.
    Lando at the blob races got boring fast, and the part on Eol Sha was weird.
    Daala is interesting as well. Of course, the Empire is not alowed to win (other than ROTS) and so Daala has to be an idiot, or at the best, unlucky.
    THe interrogation scene now seems a little out of character for Han, now that I've seen the movies and read more of the EU.
    In general, this was a great book!

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I consider mr KJA ("call me Kevin") to be one of the cleverest people alive. He went from the Starwars verse to the Xfiles verse to the Dune verse. In all three areas he has written atrociously awful books that should never have been written. Even his children YJK books are awful when you compare them too say Jude Watson's series.
    Yet in spite of this there are authors and publishers out there still willing to pay him large paychecks to write even more stuff in there universes despite all the evidence to the contrary that he can write a good book.
    So because of these I take my hat off to him how he cleverly manages to go on collecting pay checks from people who should know better.

ohh yeah I thought JS was terrible.

P.S To Sith Girl about bad guy's losing I guess thats why ESB in which the bady guys pretty much win is not considered the best Starwars film around then.

5. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    I'm not sure why this book has so many bad votes because i thought it was a fair book. It wasn't the best of course, but it kept me interested most of the time which or more than i can say for a couple of others that i've read. I gave the book an 8 because of this fact. I didn't care much for the ending but the Sun Crusher is a new and innovative idea compared to all of the big superweapons that we get all the time (death stars, darksabers, etc.) I can't wait to get my hands on the next book (just ordered it from ebay) to finish the trilogy and see what happens.

6. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    6.5 / 10

While this book may not have been a literary masterpiece, I enjoyed the storyline and many of the characters, notably Kyp & that phsyco Daala. I thought the Kessel section was interesting, and the story did a good job of creating a visualization of the location for me. The Sun Crusher was an new twist on a tired plotline, but entertaining nonetheless. Even better, a group of Imperials stuck in the Maw for so long, with no clue about what's happening in the galaxy at large. Plus, Han & Chewie back in the thick of things and generally keeping things lively even with the Falcon MIA. Meanwhile (nice resolve...) Luke being masterful along with the start of the NJO went a long way towards making this a worthwhile read for me.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Overall I like KJA's style. I really enjoyed several characters in not only this book but the others in the trilogy as well. I really liked Streen and the fact Luke founded an academy, finally. I didn't like Kyp and still don't. I gave it a 9.

8. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    I wish Luke had been featured a little more and the search for students could have been a larger part of the novel. I felt too much time was put into the events on Kessel. But still good 7 out of 10

9. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    8/10

Go in looking for a light 'popcorn' read and you will go out satisfied. Don't go in expecting Star By Star or anything close. Jedi Search is fun and enjoyable as long as the reader doesn't think too deeply into the book. But I must say many of the characters were hit-and-miss. Luke didn't act like the Luke we all know (of course this could be because of the Dark Empire events).

PS: The Maw installation should have been introduced earlier, but once we got there it kept me page turning in fascination...

10. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I just finished reading the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Really enjoyed them all.

11. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Since around Christmas, I've re-read the Thrawn and Jedi Academy trilogies.
    I had more fun reading the latter.

I gave it a 9. It was fun & action packed, not bogged down by paragraphs of technobabble. The emotions and sense of danger were well exuted. Thumbs way up.

12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Meh, it was entertaining, but for the most part nothing special. KJA's writing is medicocre, although I do think he is good at pacing - which helps a great deal during the less interesting scenes.

Daala annoyed me most of the time. Luke and his academy plot were decent.

I did, however, enjoy the introduction of Kyp Durron, and his subsequent friendship with Han Solo. I wouldn't have minded if this had been the entire basis for the trilogy.

I give it a 7, because I feel generous.

13. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    9/10

It was the best of the trillogy, without any mystical super sith who controlls the temples on Yavin, it was fast paced and intersting. I do agree with Sithgirl though, can't the Empire win ONCE!

14. ZionByte

ZionByte Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    I really enjoyed this book. Though as some users put, I have to agree... there were the good times and bad times of that novel.

I believe that the Kessel Mines dragged out, and was hard to imagine near the beginning, but progressively everything got better.

I voted 10. For some reason, I loved this book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.