main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JediCon 2004 Germany

Discussion in 'Archive: Kent UK' started by AmberStarbright, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok I thought I would take some of the details from the site and display it here, also because I think it needs to be read again as if we want the hotels they have displayed on the site according to the details we have to book by the end of December.

Details

From 9th April ? 11th April 2004 (the Easter Weekend) the fourth officially licensed Star Wars Event of the Official
    Star Wars Fan-Club will be held in the Congress Center in Düsseldorf (CCD) in Germany.

Guests confirmed so far:
    Amy Allen / Aayla Secura from Episode II
    Aaron Allston / "Expanded Universe" Writer
    Jay Laga'aia / Captain Typho from Episode II and III
    Rick McCallum / Lucasfilm, Producer of the Prequels
    Steve Sansweet / Lucasfilm, Director of Content Management and Fan-Relations
    Billy Dee Williams / Lando Calrissian from the Classic Trilogy

Address of the CCD. Süd
    DüsseldorfCongress
    Veranstaltungsgesellschaft mbH
    Stockumer Kirchstr. 61
    40474 Düsseldorf
    Germany

Location of the event
    The CCD South in Düsseldorf provides us with an excellent location. All of the requirements for a super event are superbly provided by this location. Right next to the Rhine River in the northern part of town the Convention Center presents itself with a well lit foyer/event main area.

There then is the main hall (in the City Hall) with a huge screen and there are numerous additional rooms for all of the planned events. And to provide for a chance to relax in-between the rich program, a chance to sit down and chat with some of the other fans or a chance to grab a quick snack there are about 600 seats available.

The following provides important information about the location of the event.

Transit
    The CCD South can be reached within three minutes of the Airport in Düsseldorf.
    From the train station in downtown it will be about a 20-minute trip.
    Public transportation has stops close to the event location.

Directions
    The quickest routes to the CCD South (using private or public transportation) can be found on CCD South?s own website under the link ?Wegbeschreibung?

Novotel Düsseldorf City West / Mercure Seestern
    These two hotels are situated right next to each other and are both part of the Novotel Accor Hotel Group (it suffices to request a booking with ?Novotel?, we will take care pf getting you a room in one of these places). These are 4 star hotels that offer a lot of comfort and are at an ideal location. Using the S-Bahn stop right in front of the hotel it takes about 10 minutes to reach downtown Düsseldorf.

The Rooms
    The large rooms of these hotels offer Pay-TV, a Mini-bar, ISDN-, Fax- and modem connections, large beds, air conditioning, sound proof windows, a wash room with shower/bath and toilet.

Breakfast
    The price includes a rich breakfast buffet (current price of the buffet without a room is 13.- Euro).

Fitness Area
    Use of the Sauna, Steam Bath and Solarium are also included in the price.

Checking In and Out
    It is possible to check in at any time during the day of arrival.
    On the day of departure the rooms must be cleared by 12 noon. Luggage can be stored in the hotel.

Distance to the CCD. Süd
    By car it takes about 10 minutes. Using public transit (including 1 necessary change) it takes about 30 minutes.

Address and Contact Information
    Novotel Düsseldorf City-West
    Niederkasseler Lohweg 179
    40547 Düsseldorf
    Phone: +49 (0)211 5 20 60 0

http://www.novotel.com / http://www.mercure.com

Bookings
    The OSWFC, not the hotel staff is in charge of booking rooms for the Con.
    Please do not contact the hotel directly as the hotel staff does not have all of the necessary information.

Charges
    The following prices are per person per night.
    As mentioned above prices include the breakfast buffet and use of the Fitness Area.

Single
    65.00 Euro per Person per Night

Double

2. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    Cheers for the info Amber, it's good to have something to refer to now. :)

3. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    No problem, I thought best idea to get details up on here so we can start planning things.

4. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Thanks for all the latest info amber :)

I think we should try and get everything confirmed by the the first week of December so that we're ready to book.
    At the moment however I'm just not what sure what day is best to arrive as we'd need an early flight if we leave on the thursday so that I have time to get to the place and set-up my work. So leaving on wednesday may be better but will obviously cost more. What do people think of this or shall we see how early we can get there on the thursday?
    Sorry to be a pest, lol.

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    The earliest without sleeping in Standsted is going to be 2pm on thursday.

You're always a pest but me and dom are used to it now :p

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll ask robert what time I can finish putting my work up on the thursday and will decide from there. I don't think it will take me long to put it up but finding the place and getting out of the airport maybe the time consuming bit ;)

lol, well you both know you can punch me when I become too much of a pest, so honours even :p

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok I'll do a search of wednesday trouble

don't worry between me and Flo you'll becoming back black and blue

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    In that case I think I'm going to bring some well padded cloths with me :p

On the bright side, flo's doctor knowledge may come in handy when I'm knocked unconscious by your right hook ;)

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    He'll be the other person hitting you :p

10. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    ok I have looked at flights that go out on wednesday instead and you are looking ar £133 for all three of us in. The prices of the flights seem to have gone up now so we are going to have to sort this out pretty soon.

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Right you are amber, I think we should decide what to do by the end of the week really. Do you think prices are effected by the fact it will be easter though?

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    No because it only went up in price over the weekend

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've just e-mailed robert asking during which hours can I put my work up on the thursday, so once he's replied that will give me a very good idea of which day is best, although I think the wednesday is the best option, and that way if I finish early we can do some sight seeing. I'm going to try bloody hard to fit that chocolate museum in that's for sure ;)

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    That's in anoter city and I dont know how long it takes to get there

15. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Yeah, I remember that the chocolate musuem is in Cologne :(
    If that doesn't work out them I'm sure Düsseldorf as something nice to see, and on the plus side the con doesn't start until midday on the friday so we have a chance of a lay-in on the friday, lol.

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    hmm I dunno Flo and Senny as always fighting over which is better and so far seems Cologne is better

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I need to start arranging details with the organiser's now so really need to get everything confirmed and booked.

So I need to know if everyone is still good to go and if you are able to commit to plans now??

Cheers :)

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Flights:
    I looked at a site called opodo and the chepaest flight they had was £124 for all three of us. It's with Air Berlin and departs at 11:20 from stanstead and departs at 18:25 from Dusseldorf on the Monday.

Hotels:
    Basically we can't get the rooms via Jedi-Con because we are too late, but I did some checking at Places to stay and looked for cheap rooms located near the airport (which is also near the CCD I believe).
    The best place I found was called 'Courtyard Dusseldorf' and they were doing a special offer of one room for 3 people which will work out at 275 euros for five night, which is £65 each. Very cheap really but the downside is we have to share plus there may only be one king size bed or if we're lucky two singles beds.
    How do you feel about this?????

Feel free to suggest your own findings.

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I will look into other places because one that flight is expensive.

Two I am not comfortable sharing and would rather my own room.

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've looked at a few websites and that one seemed the best deal as BA & BMI flights were twice as much. Works out to be £41.30 each which didn't sound too bad to me.

I had a feeling you'd say that about the room so I understand that. It was quite hard finding somewhere that had reasonable single rooms as they cost just as much a double rooms which is a bummer. But hopefully we'll get some luck.

21. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ryan air £26 each like I said two months back :p

All hotels charge the same amount for a single room as for a double room.

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've just been to ryan air and while it has Dusselfdorf as a destination it doesn't seem to come up when you go to book it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it only goes to Dusseldorf indirectly from London which is a total guess.

Do any of the German girls need a hotel room?? May make sense to share with one of them if you're willing, because it saves quite a bit of money for everyone obviously. Stupid hotels :p

23. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Try looking in the list properly, scroll down to Niederrhein Düsseldorf, not Düsseldorf.

As far as I am aware no, no one needs a hotel.

24. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Well I did say I may have done something wrong ;)
    Quite an easy mistake to make though.

I'll report any potiential hotel findings I come across.

25. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Reading is a good start though :p

I think we need to sort out exactly how much people are willing to pay for a hotel because the cheaper ones I have seen so far aren't looking too good and there isn't a hostel I trust so far that is nearby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.