main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I still don't get why McCoy didn't freak the **** out when he found the cure to death. Or anyone else for that matter. It probably won't even be mentioned in the third movie, assuming they make one.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They are making a third one. Abrams already chose a replacement director (because his production company is still working on the film).

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He just hides it really well.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To be fair, that was all JJ Abrams -- who actually does work with a 9/11 Veteran charity for those who return and are suffering PTSD, as I understand it.

Either he was willfully blind or just ignorant of Bob's inclusion of the other themes rendering the message at the end of the film somewhat tonally jarring.

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Notice when the USS Vengeance destroys Alcatraz? Funny because his show Alcatraz got cancelled...

7. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Well I FINALLY made it through this movie without falling asleep. I didn't hate it at all. I thought Sherlock and Robocop were excellent in their roles.

Also I caught the R2-D2 scene, which was nice.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's why I said it was liberty with the editing. Course, even then, "First Contact" just jumped ahead and showed the battle and then the Enterprise arrived.

Yeah, that one doesn't really track either. Looking at the interior of the tube in "The Search For Spock", it doesn't exactly leave a lot of room. It's supposed to be bigger, even if it doesn't look that way.

Because the Augments were all sent away, thereby negating any chance of using their blood in that regard. We know that people can live a long time in the Trek universe. Jonathan Archer was still alive in the 23rd century. McCoy himself had made it to the 24th century. Spock and Sarek both did as well. Not to mention, he didn't get upset at the Genesis device restoring Spock.

That and the other Trek series and films had some allusions to various social and racial topics of the day. The whole conflict between the Federation and the Klingon Empire was an analogy of the conflict between the US and the USSR. "Errand Of Mercy" wasn't that far removed from the Cuban Missile Crisis and "The Undiscovered Country" came out after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

9. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    The third one should probably be about a war with the Klingons. Cant see why Kirk would get away with attacking them. They made it a big deal throughout the movie but at the end they were like "nah bro 5 year mission dawg, peace."

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's okay, that was the same way with "The Voyage Home". The Klingon Ambassador said that there would be no peace so long as Kirk was not turned over to the High Council, for his part in the deaths of a dozen Klingon soldiers and for creating the Genesis device. Movie ends with the Enterprise A going to warp speed, as if nothing bad had happened. It isn't until "The Final Frontier" that we have a Klingon wanting to make his bones by taking out Kirk and "The Undiscovered Country" that the Klingons finally have their day.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    You want him to take him to Star Wars with him. :confused:

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I like Star Trek better than Star Wars :p

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well hold on now: Living a couple hundred years vs curing death are two different things. And the Genesis device is its own kettle of Jesus fish that has nothing to do with this, but at least that had a whole movie devoted to it rather than miraculous death-reversing blood that never gets any explanation at all.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    More fundamentally, if these guys blood can cure death, how is it impossible for they themselves to die? In which case, why were any of the threats against either Kahn or any of his crew at all meaningful?

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Liberty with the editing explains the trip to Kronos. After all, Lucas seems to be Abrams' role model in some sense, and he's doing a lot of the same things Lucas did. For example, we only see the queen's ship jump to hyperspace once in all of TPM. The rest of the time we just see it fly into or out of the frame almost as though it made the whole journey at sublight.

In the case of the return trip to Earth it's not as easy to chalk the whole thing up to editing. You could insert a long gap in a certain cut but then you're left having to explain why Marcus doesn't catch up to them until they're almost at Earth, and why the dialogue which implies they've only recently started moving again is actually taking place much later. The advanced warp capability of the Vengeance, basically transwarp drive by another name, may be significant in explaining what happens here; we see the warp tunnel visibly expand as the Vengeance approaches.

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

Be pretty interesting to watch them explain away how there was a one year gap of peace for them to refit the Enterprise in before the Klingons decided to declare war.

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Have we discussed Orci going bananas on ST fans, yet? Didn't even know this whole thing happened until a few moments ago.

Dude writes article, not bashing in anyway, saying how ST is broken and how it can be fixed. He lays out his case nicely, doesn't attack, just states his opinion. Orci goes bat@#$^. Gets pissy at dude. Tells some ST fans who agree with dude to "#$^@ off." Goes super nuts when a guy tells him that Indiana Jones is better. Great stuff. I was highly entertained.

He tries to apologize, but just about every film site runs articles about him bashing fans for not liking his film.

He deleted his Twit account.

I LOL'd.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, at least I can give Lindelof credit for responding to fan criticism with some grace-- IIRC, he was the one who admitted the Alice Eve underwear scene was gratuitous and unnecessary.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In First Contact, Ent-E was at the Romulan Neutral Zone, not the Klingon Neutral Zone, so that's comparing apples to oranges. IMO, STID is one rotten apple. Or orange; take your pick. The key word is "rotten."

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think it was Abrams himself that admitted that.

21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    No, Abrams was the one who joked about how they were going to have a Cumberbatch shower scene but deleted it. Not exactly a classy response.

22. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Question on gravity. The Enterprise is by the moon at the end battle yes? So why would it be caught in the Earths Gravity if its right beside the moon. Shouldn't it be in the moons gravity?

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah I just watched it last night and it really hit me that it didn't really make that much sense gravity wise. All they'd have had to do is shove the Enterprise into Earth's gravitic field. Problem solved. But it looked more like they were in space outside of Earth.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You still end up with an apple the size of a pea and an orange the size of an aircraft carrier.

Darth_Invidious and Sarge like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A wizard moved it.

JoshieHewls likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.