main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    There's only one movie they should look at.

[image=http://christiandivine.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/star-trek-i.jpg]

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If they use Kahn they have to have what is essentially a Space Seed episode wrather than a Wrath Of episode. In this new reboot he has not been introduced yet, there is no updated history.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Some of us are even older. :(

I can't quite believe it's taken so long for the sequel to come out. I expected Paramount to have started cooking it on high ever since they racked in the final numbers for the first one. Hell, we'll get Mass Effect 3 first and ME2 came out after JJ's first Trek.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Lets all pray that they don't try to reboot Wrath of Khan.

5. IellaAntilles

IellaAntilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2000
    I don't think Christopher Pine could yell KHAAAAAAAAN! Quite as well as Shatner did. So I'm hoping for more new storylines.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I heard they aren't going to use Khan, but some other original series villain for a threat. They made a revamped version of the Gorn that didn't get used:

[image=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/11/gornpost-1.jpg]

I suggest they use it in the next movie.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    If this gets pushed back by 5 months like the first one then we can expect it Christmas 2012. Also I intend to go to ALL ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE SCREENINGS OF ANYTHING REMOTELY STAR TREK RELATED for the entire month before this movie is released.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sequel to the only Star Trek movie or show I've ever liked? Yes please.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Seconded.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Star Trek is only worthy of summer releases now. So if it gets delayed it'll be Summer '13.

11. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    why, are the special features buried in cg lens flares too?

12. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    What are you talking about, dude? the whole thing was based around post-Nemesis events, including Leonard Nimoy himself continuing to play Spock, with the full understanding that the Spock he was playing was the same one he'd played all along. There was nothing done "to appease" people, that's just what it was. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with the time-travel stuff to begin with.

Slimy!

13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Those were, for the most part, not CG

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Is it really going to be called Star Trek 2?
    The reason I found the movie so clever is that it was essentially a remake/reboot but linked itself with the original Trek universe by having original Spock travel through time. Events were changed and so this is essentially a parallel universe, but I've never viewed it as Abrams trying to remake the Trek series.

My understanding of it was that the time that Spock travelled back from was after the events of Nemesis when Data was Captain of the Enterprise. So therefore Abrams' Star Trek was not a remake.

15. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Its been confirmed that they're not using Kahn.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What? Who doesn't like Star Trek IV?

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    And who doesn't like Wrath of Kahn? One of the best written, acted, and directed sci-fi franchise pictures ever.

Also, the lens flares in Star Trek were almost entirely practical.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. TWOK was the only Trek film to be listed as one of the 1000 films you must see before you die.

19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Paramount wants next Star Trek Movie to be in 3-D.

Abrams states, "I have nothing against 3-D in theory. But I?ve also never run to the movies because something?s in 3-D". [As for Trek], as soon as I read the script, if it says, "Somebody pushes a weapon toward the camera in a menacing way," and we think, "That?d be better in 3-D!"? I dunno. What do you wanna see? 2-D or 3D?

I agree with Abrams, who cares whether the movie is in 3-D or not; this 3-D craze is literally making is more difficult to get movies done as soon as possible.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree with Abrams as well. So much of the time the flamboyancy and whambam of the special effects covers up a stupid plot and OOC characters -- Abrams seems to care about both: plot and characters.

That gives me a lot of confidence that I'm not gonna get burned by the PTB like I did with SW profiction.

*Staunchly refuses to get on soap box.*

Once the movie's released, if the DVD makers wanna put it on Blue Rey or whatever that's their biz.

[face_not_talking]

But I'm already counting the nanoseconds, so if 3D means pushing the release back any further, I say no way Jose.

:p

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It is not a matter of just rebooting Kahn. In this JJ timeline there is no Kahn/Kirk history despite the meta-knowledge of fans over the matter. If he uses Kahn at all for just one film he has to basically take the episode Space Seed and combine it with Wrath of Kahn.

It could be possible to have Kahn make a timeline crossover as did Spock where this Kirk has no clue what's going on in that history but must deal with Kahn.

I suppose too we could forget about Kahn and JJ just makes a whole new villain inspired by Kahn and wows us all with a new character.

Whatever the case may be, I think we are in good hands.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's KHHHAAAANNN! Not KAAAAAHHHNN!

24. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    no there's just a large segment of one of the featurettes devoted to the lens flares and why they're there, etc.

I watched the special features. And I hadn't personally noticed them as being significant until I did so. So I was just imposing my experience on you for fun.

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    JJ will find a way. He'll put them right up in your face.

And yes, I know they weren't all cg. But they were all cg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.