main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Um, it was Jerry Goldsmith's theme music. Alexander Courage's theme wasn't quoted until Trek2.

If the movie had been the pilot as originally intended, it would have been an OK 2-parter. But as the $ piled in, the studio said "There is no way we will recoup our costs from this as a TV show," and had the project retooled as a feature movie. This caused several changes to be made. I still have my 1980 Trek Calendar with Kirk in a thruster suit next to Spock (scene was cut).

Oh, and the Borg being the ones to reprogram V'Ger was originally a joke by some production staffer/writer when the Borg first appeared. As a joke, it worked. If you books actually adopted it... Well, I'd just say I'm sorry to hear it was taken seriously.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I heard it was Gene Roddenberry himself who said it. We have no one but the Great Bird of the Galaxy to blame for that one.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't know. Makes him seem more badass to me.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    This. Spock's death scene, and Kirk's reaction to it, is what made TWOK one of Trek's great shinning moments and makes TWOK THE stand-out entry from the film series, so much so that its the only Star Trek film to make it in here.

Think about that.

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Here's a radical thought for the next movie: Make a good original story.

Check that:
    Make a GOOD story

or just
    For once, MAKE A GOOD MOVIE

of the 11 that exist, only 2 (or arguably 3) qualify.

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Simon Pegg says more about Star Trek 2 and Villain Rumors.

Pegg along with Byran Burk (Producer of Star Trek 2) both are debunking that the villain will be Khan, so they are both either telling the truth that this villain will be completely different. Burk also says that they chose ?to do something we thought would be original and unique and different? for the sequel adding: ?I think on paper, we made the right choice. Now we have to go shoot.?

So, here's hoping what they are saying is in fact the truth and not a big Khan smoke screen.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    If the producer and a major supporting actor are definetively saying that bad guy is not Khan, then I believe them. They would be in a position to know.

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    All I want is 1) a good story and 2) less lens flare.

That's not too much to ask for, is it?

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    You forgot "No shakey-cam"

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [image=http://goregirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/madeline-kahn1.jpg]

11. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    The Trek 2013 producers have said the The Empire Strikes Back is a apt model for the approach to the next Trek film. I'm OK with that in fact here's a plausible theory...

The film opens with a Federation starbase and planet-side community being attacked by Klingons ships in orbit and Klingon landing craft. They are hunting a certain human space pirate that has taken refuge on the planet. That space pirate is Harry Mudd. The out numbered Starfleet security team is slaughtered defending the community. This massive Klingon offense should remind us of the Battle of Hoth. Harry Mudd commandeers a ship and barely gets away. The Klingons may very well have sparked off a galaxy-spanning war., but that's OK they are Klingons after all. Besides Harry Mudd has in his possession a very important 'McGuffin'. The Klingon taskforce spreads out looking. In orbit around a strange new world with a new civilization never before encounterd...Spock and Uhura are talking of their wedding plans. Uhura is pregnant with Spock's child. McCoy is having a bit of fun at Spock's discomfort. They beam down and investigate. A priority one alert from Starfleet Command arrives - specifically Admiral Pike. Kirk and crew's exploration mission is interrupted and the response of the natives is terrifying or funny. Never the less Kirk and crew are informed that a state of open war now exists between the UFP and the Klingon Empire. Kirk takes the Enterprise to the Klingon border. En route the Enterprise comes across the fleeing Harry Mudd. The space pirate paints himself a victim of Klingon savagery - which in a manner of speaking is true. Eventually the Klingon Commnder arrives. His name is Commander Kang. . Kirk is not in the habit of turning over Federatioon citizens to Klingons tyranny.And so the orbital fight is on. Kirk and the landing party are stranded on the planet. Klingon troops arrive on the surface. The natives may help Kirk and the landing party or they might help the Klingons. Perhaps Mudd ripped them off. Some things despite alternative universes never change, eh? So there you have it. My prediction for Star Trek 2013. Likely wrong, but it does have the flow and character evolution seen with The Empire Strikes Back.

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    well, it is better than another Wrath of Khan clone.
    There are worse models to work from...

I'd like to see the people who did the CGI for the DVD release of Star Wrek: The Pirkining put in charge of the space battles. that way we can actually see and admire the ship designs.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. That would be a solid movie. After all, TOS was always at its best when it pitted Kirk against the Klingons.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, but I'm afraid JJA's OtT style will mean that the klingons are all kung-fu masters, and will have barbed hooks at the points of their 3ft beards and face ridges that are big enough to use for ash trays.
    Complete the outfit with emo battle armor.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually JJ Abrams has already given some thought to what Alternate Universe Klingons should look like.

Link

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just like Abramsverse Romulans, right?

But that means... Khan is Kirk's real father! :eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [image=http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg]

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    My prediction, based on Benedict Cumberbatch's cheekbones, which I could cut myself slapping, is that Benny C will play a Cardassian villain.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I approve of this appointment. Also the news that Noel Clarke will be involved.

However, I sure hope BC isn't playing a dumb and broad villian like Nero. That would be a tragic waste of his talents.

Anything less than a Khan level baddie (but not Khan) would be unacceptable.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I think in XI they were so focused on the reboot parts of the story that they mostly neglected the villain, which I didn't really mind as it was still one of the funnest, snappiest-paced movies I've ever watched. (Compare, e.g.: Captain America: The First Avenger, which drew out BOTH the Origins story AND the Villain story and suffered for it). I'm hoping since they've already established the rebooted universe and the way things work in it, they'll be able to do the villain justice this time.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    His name is even longer than Ricardo Montalban's.

halibut likes this.
  24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd kind of like to see him play Lore, Data's evil twin, but I don't think even in a tweeked time-line that Lore would have been built yet.

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Lore is a character I've love to see 'return', even re-imagined. I always thought TNG under used him, and was annoyed when Nemesis didn't even mention him.

One day it would be good to see the brothers somehow returned with a different actor... but not BC (he's doing 'lack of emotion' as Sherlock Holmes) and probably not yet.

In other news, I enjoyed this tweet from Simon Pegg about 90 minutes ago:

Right, I'm off to work and when I say work, well, you know what I mean. *stands on pad, is enveloped in a spiral of luminosity, disappears*

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.