main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic Park Novels by Michael Crichton

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    great set of books. i really like the 1st one. i love how John Hammond is portrayed as a bad guy in it. great stuff. The Lost Word was good but not as good as the first. so discuss! :)

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I read JP 1 and 2. Interesting works that differentiate from the movies. One thing I'd gripe about Lost World, it had way too much swearing in that and too many subplots. I did like the use of diagrams between chapters about dinosaurs and DNA.

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Jurassic Park and Lost world were both well written for me, I especially liked the character of Ian Malcolm, and Doc Thorne in TLW. However, I wish they hadn't changed the Lost World so much in the movie.

PS. I got JP in an omnibus with Congo - thats just as good

4. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I also read both JP1 and JP2.
    I loved LOVED the first one and thought it was far superior to the movie.
    I liked the second one, not as much as the first book but I liked it better than the movie.
    Was there ever a JP3 book? If so, was it any good?

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Jurassic Park was a really fun read, as was The Lost World, although the movies are another thing all together.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i don't think so. although i wouldn't mind if Michael Crichton did another JP novel:)

7. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Great books, probably my favorite. JP1, i read that when i was little and it got me into reading. I went back and picked up all his older stuff and it was fantastic.

Crichton offers a lot of good stuff to read and these are two of his best.

dkt

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I read both novels before seeing the films. I think Jurassic Park was a great story, but while I enjoyed reading Lost World, it always bothered me to know he was commissioned to write a sequel so they could make another movie.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    there's something confusing me. in the end of Jurassic Park it says Malcom died. how come he's alive in The Lost World then?[face_thinking]

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It explains at the beginning that it was misreported.

11. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    And then they ignored basically half the story

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Misreported death: an author's excuse to admit that the fans control his inpiration... I loved both books, but the second movie was a serious disappointment to me. I liked Ellie in the books much better. I think, overall, they're very inventive and thought-provoking.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if the books were truely adapted to the big screen then the movies would've been rated R. i saw the movie before i read the book. when i read the book i was surprised that Hammond was portrayed as a evil head of a corporation type guy but i liked it.

14. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I saw the movie before I erad the book. I always really liked JP! (not so much Lost World), but when I read the book, I was blown away by how great it was! It was infinately better than an already very good movie.

Still the best Crichton book I've read, and still one ofmy favorite books.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. these are my favorite Crichton novels. Timeline would probably be next

16. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Love the books. I've read Jurassic Park probably 6 times, it's one of my all time favorites. I do enjoy the movie, but I wish it had been more like the book, with the extra scenes, Hammond dying... it was all a bit darker in the book than the movie. The Lost World was also a great book, though the film was a bit iffy. Ian Malcolm is probably my favorite character. I find all the stuff about chaos theory really fascinating. It actually inspired me to do a project on it for a math class in college. :p

17. Prodigal

Prodigal Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    wow, i'm somewhat the same, in that upon reading JP1 I went out and bought about half a dozen books on chaos theory and became a self-professed expert on the subject in school. :p I think it was the closest I ever came to enjoying mathematics.

JP1 stands as one of the most visionary and enjoyable books I've read. I loved it!

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I've never read the books or seen the sequels to Jurassic Park . . . but come on, what were you expecting?

The hype is not the same once you've seen the first of a film. Batman, Matrix and Jurassic were the first to show their types of movies, the way they showed. You can never capture that feel of first time again with any sequel. Batman Returns, Reloaded were sillier, less serious, versions; and once the surreal sight of a 3D dino isn't the same for subsequent movies. Run! They eat you! Roar! You've seen it all before . . .

19. JediEire

JediEire Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2006
    Jurassic Park is definitely one of my all time favorite books. In fact, Ian Malcolm was my first crush. Like, ever. That was when I was 11, but yeah, I loved the guy in black. Heh, not a lot has changed, methinks. But in all seriousness, the movie was good, definitely a classic, but the book was great. And while Lost World the movie was a travesty (why the hell did they commission Crichton to write the book for the movie, then change like the entire plot?), I found the book quite amusing.

But basically the whole Ian's death thing baffled me. I think it was entirely unnecessary for Malcolm to die at the end, I mean, he didn't have a death scene or anything, they just mentioned he was going to be buried with Hammond, you know? No need for that.

But to bring him back like that just made everything weird. *shrugs*

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i was confused at first to about Malcom's death in JP1. however, in The Lost World novel they pass him off as being alive by saying the initial reports about his death were misreported

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I never read the JP books, but i read a whole bunch of other Crichton stuff, and enjoyed it.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    you should give them a try some time droideka27. if you liked Crichton's other work then you'll like the JP books

23. JediKataraDodonna

JediKataraDodonna Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2006
    Droideka, you should definitely check out JP!! I mean, not reading that would be like liking Tolkien but having never read LotR. :p

Well, maybe not that dramatic, but still, JP is a fantastic book, much better than any of Crichton's others, imo. And I do enjoy most of his work. Except Prey. That was just kinda dumb. And State of Fear, which was nothing but a poorly disguised scree.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I definitely will have to do so :p I just generally don't like reading books after i have seen their movie version. But i did like his stuff, so...

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i saw the movie first before reading the books. i was like 7 or 8 at the time JP came out to theaters. but eventually i read the books. Jurassic Park is a great movie and nothing can change that but the book is better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.