main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just noticed something!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ROTS_Obi1, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Well it's so obvious Palps is sidious for reasons I know. But I found another reason. George Lucas was giving us hints that he is Sidious. Take TPM for an example. At the funeral pyre scene. When Mace and Yoda are talking about which was destroyed the master or the apprentice. Right after that scene it shows Palps just standing there, a zoomed in shot. You guys have probably already noticed this but I never have.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Lucas takes advantage of quite a few prequel scences to build dramatic irony. The current audience knows the truth, so we are ahead of the characters in that regard. Future auidences will see the clues but won't put it together until the characters do.

For now he has made quite a few hints. As you mentioned the funeral scene is the most obvious ones. There are other parts with dramatic irony like the end of TPM when Palpatine talks to Anakin and the scene in AOTC where the two discuss Anakin's ablities.

-Seldon

3. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    Ya even in the Clone Wars cartoon they hint at it.

4. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    Yeah, if by hint you mean beat the audience over the head with it. There's even that dramatic kind of, 'dun dun dun!' music and Obi-Wan and Yoda glance suspiciously at eachother. Not exactly subtle.

5. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    I mean Palpy is like sucking up over Anakin talking about his exceptional skills and how he should be command of space forces, and interupting Yoda.

6. Obladi_Oblada

Mar 18, 2005
    That's what I was talking about. The way Palpatine interrupts Yoda is already awkward enough. Yoda: "Perhaps -" Palpatine: "Then it is decided!" But then after he does it we see Obi-Wan and Yoda shift their eyes toward eachother and there's an over-dramatic music sting. It's painfully un-subtle. It was like if Palpatine had looked straight at the camera and winked during that part in the funeral scene you mentioned.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Ya even in the Clone Wars cartoon they hint at it

Yeah, all through out Chapter 24. The Jedi are panicing because they know GG is after the Chancellor, but Palpatine is totally calm, because he's expecting Grevious.

8. Palps

Palps Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Yep. There are a few subtle hints in The Phantom Menace, which is cool. Like the subtle grin on Palpatine's face as Queen Amidal leaves to go back to Naboo.

9. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    only the real crazies like us know. my wife who has been subjected to multiple viewings of all the films has no idea. most people(the general audience) don't. and I like the fact that lucas never came right out in the beginning or even in ATOC that palps is sidious.

10. Annatar

Annatar Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2005
    The music seems to hint at the relation between Sidious and Palpatine more than the camerawork. I mean, it plays the Emperor's theme when it shows Sidious' holograms. And a while back, a member of this forum pointed out something I wasn't aware of: the music at the end of TPM isn't really so happy as it seems. It's the Emperor's theme, sped up and sung by a children's choir! Gotta love John Williams!

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    only the real crazies like us know. my wife who has been subjected to multiple viewings of all the films has no idea. most people(the general audience) don't. and I like the fact that lucas never came right out in the beginning or even in ATOC that palps is sidious.

Well if you've seen the OT, then you know. Its rather hard to miss after watching ROTJ since Emperor Palpatine is a major villian in that movie. But if you're not that familiar with SW the fact that Palpatine=Darth Sidious will probably go right over your head.

It's the Emperor's theme, sped up and sung by a children's choir! Gotta love John Williams!

WHAT! :eek: Are you serious? That's awesome. Suddenly that scene seems really sinister and ominious.

12. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    It is really? OMG..

13. CommanderJamesBond

CommanderJamesBond Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    Whoa! That's awesome!

14. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    When I first saw TPM I knew from the moment I saw Palpatine's hologram in the Queens chamber that he was the Emperor. I noticed they kept giving little hints.
    The one when Qui Gon is being burned was good. It shows him perhaps a bit upset? His apprentice is dead and he has to start from scratch.

15. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I can't believe there are some people who still haven't noticed Palpatine = Sidious! You can clearly see it, no need to be a geek or multiple viewings!

Now I know how Clark Kent can still keep his identity secret...

[face_laugh]

16. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    Lurking I know he is sidious. Who doesn't? You know the trailer has been out since early march! You think Mar. 05'ers are stupid? I'm just saying i've never noticed all the hints he gave us.

17. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I don't mean you specifically, I'm referring to statements like this:

But if you're not that familiar with SW the fact that Palpatine=Darth Sidious will probably go right over your head.

Anyone with normal powers of observation (one does not need to be Sherlock Holmes!) should be able to see that Sidious and Palpatine are played by the same actor. The hood really doesn't cover anything, and the difference in the voice ain't all that much.

Therefore, the whole Sidious = Palpatine thing shouldn't really be a mystery.

*shrug*

18. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    LUcas is doing a pretty good job of not making it obvious palpitine is sidious. Which i think is one of the best things in the PT. So i dont understand why in the ROTS trailer he makes it obvious that palpitine was the bad guy the whole time.

Its like you through a suprise party for someone. and doing a pretty good job of hiding it from them, but on the car ride just before you go to the party you tell the person your throughing them a suprise party.

If lucas is keeping palpitine being sidious a secret in TPM and AOTC then why in the preview for episode 3 does he reveal that secrets that i'm sure many would be shocked from (unless your a die hard fan and already knew palpitine is the emperor from the OT)

19. Obladi_Oblada

Mar 18, 2005
    Yeah, it bugged me that they just show Palpatine being a Sith in the trailer. But everyone I talk to about it just says, "Oh, everyone knows anyway." But everyone knows Darth Vader is Luke's father and none of the newer ESB trailers give that away.

Oh and that thing about the Emperor's theme at the end of TPM is awesome. I got chills when I first realized that's what it was. After somebody on here pointed it out back when the TPM soundtrack first came out, I think. I told my Music and Film teacher about it last semester and he didn't even know.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't know that until the other day, but when I think about it, it makes sense, as there are hints of The Imperial March in Anakin's Theme. You really have to love John Williams sometimes.

21. ExarKunundrum

ExarKunundrum Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    WHAT! Are you serious? That's awesome. Suddenly that scene seems really sinister and ominious.

I have an all-new respect for this film.

22. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    1st time you see the Emperor......hologram

1st time you see Palpatine.......holgram

1st time you see Sidious........hologram

23. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Ya even in the Clone Wars cartoon they hint at it

Yeah, all through out Chapter 24. The Jedi are panicing because they know GG is after the Chancellor, but Palpatine is totally calm, because he's expecting Grevious.

And drinking tea also.

It must have killed Grievous to know he couldn't kill Palpatine. Especially after Palpatine said all of that stuff to him.

"YOU'RE LUCKY THEY WANT YOU ALIVE!"

24. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    And that's why this movie is called The Phantom Menace. So great. This is the beginning of the end for the Republic.

25. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I have an all-new respect for this film.

I expected this, it was a matter of time. Slowly but surely the list of people agreeing with this WILL grow. And it won't stop there. The rest of the Saga as well. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.