main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just when I thought my collecting was finished.

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Aaron_Franzen, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Aaron_Franzen

Aaron_Franzen Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    Well as the title states, I didn't think I would be buying much more Star Wars memorabilia and it looks like I'm gonna be broke again! My main area of interest in collecting is lightsabers and sideshow statues. Who else is dreading and looking forward to the new movie props/toys to be collected? I really hope they come out with at least 3 new saber designs that are appealing.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I hear ya brother. My wife was dancing up and down when I got the last figures from the Legacy Collection, and announced I was done collecting.

Three hours later, new Star Wars movies for the foreseeable future. She's unhappy, to say the least.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Collecting being finished? Is that even possible?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Seeing as my collection is Fett-centric, I may or may not be excited by future merchandise. (I'll get the books associated with the new film though.)

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Poor guy - seriously though, what were you thinking? Never say never when it comes to collecting.

I already know that my wallet is doomed. I'll get any and all Han, Leia, Luke stuff and if they write the next generation Solos/Skywalkers well - I'll be a sucker and buy them all also. I already have my own EU stuff, so I know that I'll be sucked in.

J_Girl likes this.
  6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm going to need to either clear my current shelf or reorganize everything onto other shelves to make way for the Zuckuss and 4-LOM stuff I'll end up buying.

7. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Over? LOL!!!! It's never over! Star Wars is forever, ergo collecting is forever! [face_hypnotized]

See? I'm the kind of geek The Flanneled One loves, er, um, loved, um... you get the picture.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I'm not going to sweat it because I probably won't be able to afford a lot of it. The whole getting married and having kids thing. Growing up sucks sometimes...

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    If someone told me a year ago that there was going to 3 more movies and others to follow I would have told them they were nuts now I am working on my wife to let me have a second collecting room.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Bwhahahahaha - he's BAAAAACCCCKKK!

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Good luck on that, Mike! Good to see you back!

12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Yes I am finally back from the deep regions of outer space :)

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You need a new avatar, Mike. The ones from the old boards don't work...

14. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I stopped collecting SW for several years (mostly collected the action figures), then a few years ago got into autographs and the books...

15. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
  16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Lately, I've been setting my sights on higher-end collectibles, rather than just buying toys. Granted, I'll still buy toys, but since I have shelf space to display mini-busts and statuary, I've been on the hunt for good deals on those.

17. CommanderXGhost

CommanderXGhost Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    I went on a Starwars hiatus for atleast four or five years, I had an account on here back in 2005 as Revenge of the Sith was hitting cinemas everywheres.
    And I thus really got into Starwars hasbro figure collecting.
    Got back into the game this fall actually. When I stumbled upon ROTJ Boba Fett TVC, and Arc Trooper Commander EU.
    Started collecting 3.75inch Starwars figures once more. Got alot more than when I started back up, and all of the previous ones I had obtained previously, still unopened.

18. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    A few years ago my collecting was referred to as 'cute' by my partner but somewhere along the line she's decided it's no longer 'cute' but now a 'problem'....And I didn't even know it happened hahaha

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My collection is "silly" to my sister-in-law, though my nephews think it's cool. My niece rolls her eyes, as she's at that age where adults are dorks. My brother thinks it's a waste of money, yet he does like some of the items I've managed to get. My other sister-in-law thinks it's a waste of money... yet she's bordering on hoarder. Pot. Kettle. Black.

I just think that my collection simply is not big enough.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  20. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Everybody has something they spend money on. For some people it's unnecessarily expensive cars, bigger house, shoes, handbags, golf clubs, dvd's, etc. They would not deem those purchases a waste of money because they see them as things they must have in order to be happy or just live or whatever. My collection is my thing. As long as I can afford my bills, take care of my future, then what does it matter that my disposable income has financed Lucasfilm since it's inception? And my vacation $$ goes to trips to Celebrations? It's enough when I say or my $$ says it's enough. And it's never enough. :p

People do rolls their eyes. I won't let fiance tell his family we are going to SW conventions. He just tells them Los Angeles or Florida. I don't need the eye rolling. My family loves SW and is aware of the depth of my fandom. Even my neighbors are - they see all the collectibles through the windows. They just go along with it the same way I smile, shake my head and nod at their new designer handbag or 'weekend car'. :rolleyes:

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    J-Girl, you're so right about the "shoes" or "handbags" - let's not forget women who spend $1000's a years on extraneous self grooming things, expensive make-up, hair supplies, facials, manicures, pedicures, clothes, etc. Or guys who dump $1000's into their cars, video games, or their sporting hobby - fishing, hunting, going all over the country to run marathons - or sports fanatics who cover their house w/ stuff for their favorite sports teams.

I was at Emerald City Comic Con a couple weeks back and Wil Wheaton said something to the effect of, "Be proud to be a geek, find something you love, embrace it and celebrate it with all of your heart and put yourself 100% into it."

The truth is w/ everyone working harder for less these days, working in jobs that most people hate just because they need to keep cash flow coming in, everyone needs some sort of an escape from the drudgeries of their everyday lives...if a person's love happens to be a movie franchise, who should judge?

Luckily I work in tech support so all of my co-workers are in awe of my collection. My family overall just knows it's 'my thing.' My sister and I both run sci-fi blogs and attend a couple of cons a year and maybe a press event here and there - no one judges us.

J_Girl likes this.
  22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My caseworker thinks my collection is interesting, though he's not into SW.