main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Also, I had a theory about Lori and the baby that was spawned by a crossover fanfic I'd read over the weekend, but well, tonight's episode sort of blew that all to ten different parts of hell.

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    When the baby was born I looked over at my wife and said my god I hope the baby is a zombie like the 80's V tv show being the alien baby.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    With our luck, it'll be completely immune to the virus, thus providing a cure for it.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So it's ok to discuss episode spoilers in this thread but not the Once Upon A Time Thread. Got it.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't know how it is in that thread but if you do t want spoiled I would start a spoiler free thread. This thread is a mix of comic and tv show talk. Be it that this show is based off a comic book I don't think normal rules would work. We try to tag most of the crazy stuff though.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How is Carl not beyond psychologically damaged at this point?

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If he wasn't before with shooting Zombie Shane at the end of last season, tonight's ep surely put him there.

8. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You can only really say he's psychologically damaged if you put him in a normal world. In the world of the walking dead, Carl is psychologically adapted.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    How many young kids/teens (because Carl looks like he's just about beginning to hit puberty this year) psychologically adapt and recover from killing/putting a bullet in their mother's skull, zombie apocalypse or otherwise?

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    **** man. Next week's episode is gonna be crazy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Well, everything went to hell in a handbasket rather quickly. Say what you want for previous seasons, but Chandler Riggs stepped up to the plate so far this season. It would have to be an interesting set to be at normally for someone of his age, but for this episode and the headspace it would have put you in?

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh my God. I mean... holy ****. I have to say, I seriously cried like a baby during the whole last 10 minutes of this episode. I don't know the last time a show gripped me quite that hard. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

However, I totally knew that
    T-Dawg was going to get killed this season. Mostly because he wasn't at Comic Con, nor was he even featured in any of the footage they showed leading up to the season. And Carol as well, though I think it's possible she's not dead. But I definitely didn't see Lori dying. And Carl... wow.

So this season is living up to my hopes for it and more.

BTW are we doing the normal thing and allowed to post spoilers openly? I mean at least show spoilers for episodes that have aired. I know we're hiding comics spoilers.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I would assume that once an episode has aired there is no need to hide spoilers for it anymore. AFAIK no one has posted any information on future episodes, just future comic events that may or may not even happen. And those are beeing spoiler tagged.

Anyway, last night's episode was the best of the season so far! And that's saying something considering how good this episode has been.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I will never understand the hate for Lori. I grant she isn't the most likeable character. But I find Andrea to be far worse. I find myself loathing every scene she is in. She trusts and even defends all the wrong people (Shane, The Governor) and when people are legitimately looking out for her well-being, she does nothing but question their judgement and often resents them (Dale, Rick, Michone).

I love the character in the comic but outside of her marksman skills she is nothing like her comic character. She strikes me as little more than a bitter, ungrateful person and I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up being just as dangerous for the group as Shane...or worse.

15. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    About 5 minutes prior to T-Dog's death, I was telling my wife, "I think I'm like the T-Dog if this were to ever happen in our lives. I"m there, helping out, doing the tough stuff, not complaining, but being wary. Being a rock and not making waves.

Next thing you know he's dead...not a wise choice by yours truly.

I think Rick is about to turn into Shane...he's going dark and will probably harbor some ill-will towards his newborn baby as it resulted in his wife's death (albeit the kid is probably Shane's).
    Whomever earlier stated the baby could be immune woudl make sense. It's like a flu shot...you have some of the infection in your body that fights off the effects of the overall virus.
    I have NOT read the comics, so I'm speculating, but if they could find out if the baby is immune, they could turn all I Am Legend on us and try to replicate it to help save the infected.

16. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I agree. Lori is not bad to me...just another person trying to survive, etc.
    Andrea is gonig to end up being the dumbest one in the group. I'm secretly hoping she gets an arrow through the head, courtesy of the redneck.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I never hated Lori, either. But I totally agree about Andrea. Granted, I can see her trusting the Governor because she doesn't get to see all the stuff we do and I'm sure a big part of anyone would want to believe the 'too good to be true' story in that scenario.

But yeah, poor Lori... still, in that scene as sad as I was for her, I wasn't torn up because she was gone. I was mostly blubbering because I couldn't imagine what that would be like for poor Carl. It's hard for me to understand the parental instinct to sacrifice yourself to save your baby. But I know it's there so it's hard to fault her. Still, making your kid watch that all happen knowing it's going to end with you dying is... yikes. Poor Carl.

18. Darth-Horax

Aug 22, 2001
    I wonder what the governor's MO is.
    I mean, they SEEM to be safe, so who WOULDN'T want to be there?
    Makes sense to stay, really.

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This season has been an amazing achievement so far. The secret to Walking Dead's success is that its most disturbing elements don't come from zombies, per se, but from the outrageous choices the characters are required to make week after week.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's when the show is at its best. The second season had some great moments like that as well, but this one has just been all the good parts of season 2 without any of the dragging.

21. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That's not unique to the Walking Dead, even in Zombie lore. Its something of a staple in Romero's films especially that the greater threat is always each other, whether through outright aggression or pure ignorance/arrogance.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's what separates good zombie stories from the mindless gorefests.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't watched much in the way of zombie movies, but the fact that this is an ongoing series, which allows more time for the conflicts to fester and to show the darker sides of humanity in a calamity like this, instead of a film that has to cram a lot of stuff into a two hour format, I think lends to it's uniqueness and quality.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well it's something that's true of basically every genre story. The genre just serves as a means to bring out interesting societal and interpersonal problems. I think Walking Dead is starting to really live up to its potential in that respect.

I also think that the addition of The Governor has made this instantly more interesting. One of the things I've always said about this show is that the gang lacks anyone of above average intelligence or cleverness. So having someone who is clearly cunning and sharp thrown into the mix has already brought a totally different element. We've seen a lot of "a group of average people trying to survive". Now we also get to see what happens with a totally different group, one led by someone who's clearly quite intelligent, charismatic, and ruthless.

Oh and David Morrisey is already knocking it out of the park as expected [face_love]

MrZAP and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I think you should go watch more zombie films. Though I agree that an ongoing tale lends itself better to the experience of watching the story unfold, zombie films and other media still have a lot of drama to offer. They also don't usually fall into the same issue that Walking Dead can (especially in the second season) of elements and storylines dragged out.

EDIT: That was directed at Juliet rather than solojones. Though while I agree the theme of man being his own worst enemy is something found everywhere, I feel like its often done even better when juxtaposed against some kind of mass horror or post-appocalytic world (that even in face of our own extinction we still can't get along). Its one of the reasons I come back to zombie-lore time and time again.