main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    hey guys i just finished writing a pilot for amc called "working dad", and my friend is working on one for them called "baking bread"! isn't that cool?!!!! maybe, if they like them, they'll air them back-to-back!

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Even in the comic Rick knew they wasn't real phone calls within one issue. The only difference is
    he unplugs the phone and brings it with them while they travel, occasionally "talking to Lori" to help him cope, which could still happen.

I liked the touch that when Herschel picked up the phone you could hear a quiet static, specifically calling out the lack of a dial tone.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

In the comic the phone call wasn't as obvious...you thought it was for real at first. It was slow and drawn out. It worked. It would have translated well into a few episode arc for this, not as the main thing though. This just seemed forced and didn't get the emotional response that it could have.

edit: Lando I'm going to have to go back and re-read it, but I was pretty positive they lasted a couple of issues with him being in denial of the crazy.

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    The point in the comic wasn't to fool the audience (well it was but only to a degree and not long term). The point in the comic was to show how far Rick had fallen, that not only was he delusional but that he was actually embracing that delusion and that there was legitimate reason to question his sanity. I feel like if you wrap that up this quickly then it just becomes little more than a grief-riddled moment of heartache that's gone and forgotten, rather than a legitimate concern over the man's well-being and his ability to effectively lead a group of survivors.

I probably wouldn't be so concerned if they weren't burning through so much story so quickly this season. I also never felt like season 2 was as drawn out as people made it out to be, and was glad to have stories where the problems they faced were ongoing, rather than dealt with so episodically and then cast aside. It feels to me like so much of what they say or do on this show has so little consequence anymore, that they move through devastation so quickly, I am worried that it will begin to lose its potency when truly dangerous events occur.

EDIT: Part of the appeal of the comic and the reason Kirkman started writing it to begin with was that he was fed up with Zombie stories being so self-contained, and that the stories always had such a definitive ending. Of course that's just the nature of movies, but in comics and serialized TV you aren't constrained to tell a story completely within a single edition, you can take your time and explore things over a period. I am wary of the repercussions losing their value if things tend to tie up in a neat little bow every other week. I like the idea of things being explored over time, not rushed through to fit into a single episode. That was part of the appeal of the story to begin with. Especially when choices made early on continue to have impact far down the line. And while that's not absent from the show, they seem to be favouring short bursts of stories this season to appease fans frustrated with the slower development last season, rather than taking time to explore the impact things like Rick going mad would have on him and the group.

5. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I just checked my back issues and it's all in issue #51. It's implied that it's drawn out over several days though.

6. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I was going to say, he had the phone long after a single issue. The surprise may not have been long and drawn out, but his use of the phone continued for a while, long after he realized none of it was real.

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    He had the phone yeah, but he knew it was fake and all in his head. He used it as his own form of therapy. Kirkman never had us waiting month to month wondering if the phone calls were real.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Interesting, I have to reread this crap.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I don't think his insanity is lessened in the show then if that's the point you really need to get out of it. Because when you have an actor playing it and all the visual and audio stuff going along with it.... I think it's very clear that Rick is totally nuts, not just going through a sad time. Maybe there was only one ep with the phone but we've had two showing his mind totally unravel.

10. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I'd argue that none of the characters are sane. But really, how can you be in that environment?

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yeah, I was just saying during the last ep that they all have PTSD to some degree I'm sure. But Rick has had a full on psychotic break.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Which he will make a miraculous full recovery from. :p

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Stabbing zombies through their eyesockets is the ultimate therapy.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im a zombie irl

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Can I stab you through your eyesocket? [face_batting]

Juliet316 and Ender_Sai like this.
  16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ummm... lemme think about that

braaaainnnssss

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
  19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It's about ****in' time.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    CUTTAYYYy

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This news can only mean one thing.

RIP in peace 2-Dog

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Awesome news!

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmm can they have two black guys on the show at the same time? Will the universe implode? Seriously though this is going to be pretty interesting. I'll spoiler tag my questions about Tyreese.

1. With the Daryl and Carol thing and how Carol is involved with the Tyreese sex triangle....if they stay true to the comics does Daryl dies in two weeks for the mid season finale? Man I hope not he's my favorite guy on the show.

2. He has a significant role in the comics, does he just walk up to the fence one day and say hey it's me guys. I'm gonna do some cool stuff. Or do you think he will be in Woodbury already? If so do you think that negates what his character does at the prison from the comics?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Very much agree with your concern from 1. Daryl has a steady, upward-moving character arc, unlike others on the show who change personalities every time they get splattered with zombie juice.