main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, except they seem to keep going no matter how much they rot or even if they're ripped in half. but i don't really get the urge to nitpick every detail of the show.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think it's nitpicking to question why something that requires people to get bit spread so quickly, but okay.

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Does rabies result in an uncontrollable single minded need to feed on warm flesh though? I think that wrinkle adds to the speed of transmission when each and every victim is trying to eat anyone not infected.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not saying there's anything wrong with being critical of it, just that i haven't felt that urge. i see it as nitpicking maybe because i've just been willing to suspend disbelief and let myself be engrossed.

i've read some spoilers though that might make the disease spreading so quickly make more sense.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    That was absolutely disgusting and vile.

Awesome.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    great episode overall, but now i do want to nitpick a bit. so he could use the saw to hack off his own hand, but it wouldn't cut through the cuffs? it made for a dramatic ending to the episode, but did it strike anyone else as unlikely?

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    My roommates and I were a bit confused about that as well, but we chalked it up to him being a idiot and/or crappy saw couldn't cut the metal fast enough so he chopped off his hand. Not a perfect explanation, but good enough to get you through imo.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's a show about zombies, right?

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean we should throw out all logic and reason here. :p

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I think he had an easier time cutting through flesh and bone than steel. :p

I'm actually glad that the story just didn't leave him be and assumed he died. Obviously since he survived the initial apocalypse he's pretty damned resourceful.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess that makes sense, and in that opening scene he was acting pretty nuts. i really have no idea how hard it would be to cut through handcuffs with a crappy hacksaw.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, he was pretty severely sunburned (or it looked like it) so I guess he'd been out there for a while. So it's pretty safe to say that he was starting to get delirious from thirst and exposure. And fear. All that probably raised his pain threshold a whole lot. :p

13. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I was kind of hoping he would starve to death there and eventually episodes would just end with a little clip of zombie him continuing to struggle on the roof.

14. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    The cutting through the hand instead of the cuffs or chain is a common movie trope they've carried over (Mad Max, Saw etc). I can't says its necessarily true that it would be easier to cut through flesh and bone rather than metal but to some extent it makes enough sense within a movie to be plausible if not horrific. And as noted this guy is nutbar survivalist...I am not at all shocked he would amputate his own hand to get away.

What I don't understand is why it didn't occur to him to dislocate the thumb instead to slip the cuffs off and keep the hand...

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I didn't really have an issue with anything except that there wasn't really any blood on/around the hand. You cut off the hand, there's going to be major blood loss.

16. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    This.

I also can see how he would just cut his hand off, like stated before, he was getting a little nuts. Talking to yourself and forgetting you are handcuffed to a steel bar while zombies are struggling at a door to get to you to eat your brains?

17. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well to be fair, there hasn't been much blood at all on the show so far. There had been the odd spurt or pool, but we haven't seen a really healthy kill yet and that's probably for a reason. Now there hasn't really been much reason for blood yet, but I am willing to bet they are limited in the amount of blood they can depict.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    But where did he go? Jump off the roof? The door was still padlocked and he most likely wouldn't have been able to make his way past the zombies there anyway? Did Merle jump off the roof? They've got to be at least 10 or so stories up. Or is there another staircase, making the locking of the first one pointless? Also, they stated in the 2nd episode that the zombies "hunt" by smell. Won't his bleeding wrist attract every nearby zombie like blood in shark infested waters?
    Merle Dixon is having a lousy week. :p

19. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I am sure all that will be addressed next week and how exciting will it be when they realize they stepped on the hornet's nest by following this bleeding madman as a city of zombies swarms in on them.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  21. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Good. This does seem like a word of mouth series.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If there's no thumb and then to hell with the hand! [face_not_talking]

23. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Ummmm....the last five minutes of last night's episode was probably the most epic episode closer that I've ever seen. :eek:=D=

24. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Great episode, but fish in a quarry lake? No--unless they were planted, but even then that was an awful lot of fish.

25. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Yes. Those ladies were quite the anglers.