main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Labyrinth, baby, Labyrinth...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Skylark, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    It rules the sky, the ocean, my v.c.r..... 8-}

2. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    5!!!!! 5 pages of Labyrinth!! All hail David Bowie and his magical mystical jockstrap!

*bows and chants his name three times*

3. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Heh! Magical mystical jockstrap! [face_laugh]

Fan of the feathers

you know, the white feather owl thingy. he can change fast!!!!

4. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    A Magnificent thread! 'Labyrinth' is one of the most underrated, misunderstood films of all time. Y'all might want to rip David Bowie's jockstrap off - but what stirrings lurk beneath Jennifer Connelly's waistcoat?
    It was good to see her achieve an academy award. her performance in 'Labyrinth' as an anti-hero who sees the value of nothing, only its surface quality, is subtly rendered. Her character grows - the more immersed she becomes in a world of fantasy in everyday life, the less she understands about those closest to her and her responsibilities. When she becomes trapped in a realized fantasy world, her outlook becomes more mature - she takes on responsibilities and Hoggle - an initially selfish character like her - becomes brave and selfless thanks to her example and guidance.
    The film is a must for the Star Wars fan who hasn't stopped to look at reality in a while, whose too busy scrutinising the new Toys'R'Us catalogue and dismissing his or her loved ones. The film's message is clear - don't let any one thing have power over you - fantasy or reality.
    At the end the fantasy characters say "If you should ever need us, for any reason at all, just give us a call." It is when you live your life - but make room for the weird and wonderful in your heart - you will be a better, stronger person for it. After a stressful day, wave your lightsabre round the room. Go down to the underground, below your reality - chill with the aliens and goblins that you love.
    Don't worry about the world - its a crystal, nothing more.

5. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    I also liked how the Goblin King moved around the crystal. That was awesome. Try that with a egg 8-}

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    I wouldn't mind ripping off Bowie's magical jockstrap either! ;) That is one gorgeous man.. a little old for me but what the hell! [face_love]

Did anyone else find the fiery scene terrifying at first?! I was a little baby when I first saw it and cried for a week after they ripped off their own heads...of course, after that I was dancing along with them trying to rip off my own head! LOL :D

And I love Ludo! I want a massive soft toy of him that I can hug(wouldn't mind Bowie as well)

BTW, does anyone actually listen to any of his albums? Any favourites?

7. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    I only have his Labyrinth cd and that's it [face_blush] and he is waaaay to old for me, that's for sure.

I still fast forward when they rip of their heads. I don't like that song or that dance. It scares the crap out of me.

Judge Pride

8. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Jedi Knight Satine if you love the Laybrinth album because of his gorgeous voice then you have got to at least listen to some of his other music. He is the music chameleon as some call him...he is extremely different from era to era and if you don't like one particular type then another will probably appeal to you! Do you like/ or heard his classics like Changes, Space Oddity and Sorrow?

jumps off her David Bowie soapbox

Now what about this Labyrinth... :D :p

9. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    Lizard Beautifully put :) I always thought the ending of the movie where they all end up in her bedroom was a little too cheesy Disney for me, but the message is great.

Did you know David Bowie didn't do the crystal trick? Its a juggler who's name I should know but I don't underneith David's arms (like the thing they do on Who's Line is it Anyway) Imagine juggling and not even being able to see what youre doing!

10. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    Aw man, I need a labyrinth fest..I should try to rent it or something. Is it on DVD?

11. Souri

Souri Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2002
    Heck yeah Sky!

12. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Wow, this thread is great! Never thought I`d see a Labyrinth thread. I remeber when I saw it the first time. I was looking for an old entertaining kind of film, and suddenly my eye caught a glimpse of familiar name...
    GEROGE LUCAS!!! I rented it, watched it, and loved it! I love these types of films, they`re so entertaining! :)

Again, thanks for the great thread!

13. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    You are ever so welcome :)

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I love the music. I need to find it on CD...

15. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    It's a good cd.

And I think I will go out and borrow his cd's (flat broke!) because my uncle says they're good.

I loved the crystal trick! That would be so neat to do but probably hella hard!

My niece, little brother are watching it in the next room at this moment (I swear!) and I'm going back and forth from the computer to it. Couldn't miss the Magic Dance though.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, I downloaded some music. :D

"Jump, magic jump..."
    Dance, magic dance..."

17. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Put that magic spell on me!

Now you got me singing along too!

Love that song!

18. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I LOVE As the World Falls Down. Not to mention Underground *sigh*

Don't tell me truth doesn't hurt little girl
    Cause it hurts like hell

*bows and chants 'David Bowie' three times*

19. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    I love both of those songs especially When The World Falls Down. *happy sigh*

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Gosh, now I'm addicted to the music.

It really brings back memories for me, of my first time seeing the movie, when I was 7 and lived in Oregon. Just hearing Trevor Jones' score makes me visualize my old friends and school.

Now I really want to find the soundtrack on CD, but haven't been able to see it anywhere...Yet. Amoeba Music in L.A. should have it. I'm going there tomorrow.

21. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    you could burn it. My friend has it on CD. I love it so!

22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, when its something where I want the artwork and stuff, I just buy it.

Alas, I couldn't find it for a good price. But maybe another time. :(

23. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I am the biggest Bowie fan here at the JC forums.
    But, erm, not in a gay way.

Just thought I'd let you all know. I'm a Bowie FREAK!

24. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Cool! A Labyrinth thread. :D

Wasn't Labyrinth the first movie where they attempted (successfully) to create a CG creature (the owl at the beginning and very end of the movie) and have it interchanged with the real creature? It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I'm not sure.

25. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yep Labyrinth provided one of the earliest CG characters in feature films, the CG owl. It was done at Digital Productions, the company of Gary Demos and John Whitney Jr.

Also ILM worked on this film though it was mainly on matte paintings. There might be another connection though. I think Stefen Fangmeier, now ILM VFX supervisor, might have worked at Digital Productions around that time but I would need to check that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.