main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Oh wow, those photos turned out excellent J-S!

2. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Looks incredible J-S!! Great job! :D Love the photos!!

If I could suggest one thing though; try wearing the belt jsut a tad higher. It's the one mistake I notice most people do (including myself - I still haven't gotten it right!!). It really should be around the waist, not on the hips.

But you make a perfect Leia :D

3. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for the advise! I'm trying so hard not to nit pick my pictures. I think they came out great but I can find at least 4 things wrong in everyone one. The belt was one of those. Next time I will make sure to not only set it higher, but also pull it tighter so it doesn't fall.

:)

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm making it right now, this costume, it has to be one of the easiest things I have ever made as I don't have to worry about it being too small. The dress is like a tent.

Do you guys have tips for the belt?

5. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    I made my belt with information from Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy and the Padawan's guide. I made the Ceremonial Belt first which is basically the same but its silver. I first did it out of vinal. I've since replaced the belt with a leather one and made my Classic belt with leather.

So hints? Er, I personally was never able to get the button blank to stay on the metal plate. I drilled a hole through the plate and the belt itself and put the button blank through and tied it off with leather. It's holding up really nice. I think that was what confused me the most about the belt. Anything else about it I found helpful hits on the sites I mentioned above. :)

6. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I used bobby pins ont he back of mine, but I've had some fall out before.

I also had the problem of my plates spinning (as I didn't want to glue them to the leather). So I used this really awesome double sided tape. It's heavy duty and sticks practically everything! They haven't moved since I put it in! It's by 3M and it's red, but I'd have to find the packet to know exactly what it was. StarfirePhoenix introduced me to it and has used it to stick lots of her costume parts down. GReat stuff!

7. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    That tape is super awesome. lol It's called '3M heavy duty double sided mounting tape'

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm thinkin I'm going to cheat on my belt and use metallic fabric, but I was wondering if there was a better way to get the metal plates before I committed myself.

As for the circles, snaps seemed a good idea but they're aren't any big enough so I'll have to find some studs.

9. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    That's what I used on my belt, they're really easy to work with, and on the plus side it leaves the belt a lot lighter. :)

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Nice, cheaper than metallic fabric too. I'll have to find some when I go shopping next.

I guess they wouldn't object to having a stuf through them as long as it goes through the belt as well?

11. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, I got the button covers through them and the vinyl no issues, if you want the buckles a bit thicker you can stick two buckle pieces together, I did that for my Ceremonial gown belt because they looked a bit thicker then the Senatorial gown belt. ;)

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I thought Leia's belt fastened at the back just with some hooks and eyes?

13. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    The buckles are also known as the metal pieces on the belt. ;) Sorry about that.

The back actually has press studs:

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/bmsexhibit/icons/Leia%20Belt%20Back.jpg]

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Snaps you mean, press studs are sewn on where with snaps you use a hammer.

15. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    You can use either one, I used snaps and a hammer just to make sure they stayed there on my latest one, but the first one I did I used press-studs and they're not very stable in leather or vinyl ;) .

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Definitely not, for all the fact that press studs can be hidden easier.

17. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Oooops I think that might be a case of miscommunication. Here in Aust we tend to use the words interchangeably.

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm in Aust, too. I usually assume the people I talk to are American.

19. Aiel

Oct 14, 2004
    Nope, I'm Australian :) .

Here's me with the South Australian Fan Force at the Norwood Christmas pageant last Sunday:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/DSC04119.jpg]

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/DSC04113.jpg]

Unfortunately my buns started to fall out a little, but hey, even Carrie Fisher had to have some help with that:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Princesss_Aiel/anh31.jpg]

LOL. ;)

20. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    sorry Katana I didn't realise you were Aussie! that's cool! :D Heheh maybe it's jsut me who uses them interchangeably :p

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    It's almost done, my costume. Just have to hem it and decorate the belt.

22. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Excellent! Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product :)

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    All done but the belt, just need to find someone to take my picture.

24. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Other than the hemming I just finished the gown this weekend (I want to have the belt first to make sure to hem in the right places). Thanks for all of your insightful hints and instructions.

It really is a simple dress in comparison to the Padme stuff (not to mention the Bespin Leia). But it just feels cool to put on such an iconic dress. :D
    I have to say that my serger was invaluable for this project. I can't wait to have the belt done so that I can wear the costume to an event. When I have more finished pics I'll post. :) Thanks again all.

25. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Can't wait to see the photos, Jade! :D