main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Libraries

Discussion in 'Archive: Fredericton, NB' started by Navigator, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navigator

Navigator Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    Wondering if anyone has had experience with setting up group libraries.
    I've been thinking, if everyone in a local group donated a few books, a sizeable collection could be developed. In order to borrow a book (or books), you have to have donated a book (or books) of approximate equal value.
    It may be the beginning of a logistical nightmare.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    We have a sort of free form arrangment here in the Base. A number of us are avid readers, so we trade off books. I currently have Alakin's first three books of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and he has the first two X-Wing novels. I just got back my Uthyr, by Jack White from Sionnach, but haven't returned the first two books of Fushigi Yuugi to her... we just all keep track of who's got what, and that sort of works.

What might be a good idea is to start with a list: everyone posts to a central thread listing what books they have (an inventory of their library, alphabetical by author?) and then anyone can reasd over the list and ask to borrow from an owner specific titles. Meetings can have the exchange time as an item, or you could start up a separate book club, as Edmontooine has.

Cool idea!

*Derisa*

3. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    Sounds like a good starting place.
    Everyone involved is the caretaker of their little piece of the library, with a list of what's available, and from who, posted in a thread.
    Thanks.

4. Grand-Admiral_Stan

Grand-Admiral_Stan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2002

This could work, where would the central location be? I have about eighty star wars books, i could part with a couple to be sure. If we were to have a small collection of rare sci-fi books than that would be amazing. I can list what books i have later, if you'd like.

5. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    I think the idea would be that there is no central location because of access control problems.
    Instead, we have a list of what's available and from whom. If you see something on the list you'd like to borrow, you PM that person directly.
    There's a bit more to it than that, but getting an online list is the first step.
    I have a web site under development that I could use for displaying the list. I'll post the link soon.
    Nav

6. Navigator

Apr 10, 2004
    First book I'm listing in the library is: Star Wars Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary.
    Okay, okay so it isn't very deep reading and I did get it on sale, but it makes a good reference for anyone trying to make costumes or weapons.
    Until the web site is up, you can just PM me if you'd like to borrow it.
    I'll also bring it along to the meeting next Saturday. If nothing else, it'll make it easier for people to find us.
    Nav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.