main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Lifeline Bookfest

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kit' , Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    The Lifeline Bookfest is on again this year if people want to go. I've already decided that I'll be there on Saturday (a well earned break from marking) trawling through the text books for stuff that can be used at school |(sad I know).

Anyway, thought I should let everyone know.

Hugs

Rachael

2. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks for the warning. I miss this more often than not. Not sure when, but I'll definitely be going.

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Paul and I will probably be heading in on Monday to this. Should be fun, although I anticipate buying a bunch of books that I really don't need but are shiny or have that "old book smell." [face_thinking]

4. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I doubt there be anything there I'll want, and if there is chances are I already have it.

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Really? Are you sure? There are literlly thousands and thousands of books in there and most of them are cheap as.

I got 16 books (mostly text books for school) for about $80. Particularly cool as I got two text books for $4 each that I was considering buying new for $60 each at the beginning of the year. Got four sociology texts for school, a cooking book, five history texts and another Trixie Belden book. Spent four hours browsing but it was well worth it and a lot of fun.

Kithera

6. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Well let me say that I'm rather selective with the titles I get, so yeah. Chances are there is nothing there for me. But hey, don't let that stop anybody else, its just me ;)

7. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Ahh G. Always such an optimistic view of things.

I'm gonna head in tomorrow, Monday, too. Not that I need any books either but sure I'll find some fun ones. Maybe I'll find that elusive title " how to make money whilst sitting on your backside doing nothing", or "magic words to fix everything".

Should be there around 10ish. If anyone else is and wants to catch up for lunch, let me know :)

8. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Think I'll give it a miss this year, still got leftovers from last year that I haven't read (probably 'cause I'm re-reading others... gone through about 15 SW novels in the past few months...)
    In fact, was just sorting through my books and doing a bit of a cull of ones I probably won't read or won't read again (such as "Teach yourself C in 21 days"...)

9. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Oh, come on. It's not a real "To Read" stack unless it piles up faster than you can read them.

I left with a good haul. Amongst legitimate reading material, I also got a stack of records and some items for the semi-annual terrible present contest I have going with a friend (chiefly, a book called "What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7?").

The guy I went with bought his height in books from the early 1900s, the more outdated and politically incorrect the better. ("Races of the World", anyone?) With those criteria, it's a freaking goldmine.

Disregarding all of the above, it's still fun to look around a range so varied, no idea what gems you might find amongst the rubbish, and flipping through the old Boy's/Girl's Own Annuals along the way.

10. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    OOOh they are fun criteria for book choosing HB. THE most politically incorrect book one can find....hhhhm. Kit you shoulda picked up a couple of those for your classes to witness how far we've come in 50 years or so. haha

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. Haven't been in about 5 years or so. Is it in sections at all? Anyway I'll find out later today. I think I freaked last time due to amount of people and the overwhelming piles of books so if you see me sitting like a huddled mess outside, pat my head and continue on your way.

11. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Ah fun times were had (albiet returning home weary and footsore).

I would have dearly loved to have brought home my height in early 1900 books as usually is my aim (last time around I picked up Russian Grammar from the 1940s amongst other old books with the distinctive thump when closed and that great old book smell... Aaaahhhh), but decided that doing so would severely thwart my aim of purging my bookshelf.

Some of the highlights of my purchases includes such gems as "How to survive a robot uprising", "The Tolkien Quizbook" and two of the ever brilliant, "Penny Pollard" series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.