main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

lightsabers

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by venusboy, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venusboy

venusboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    why does only mace windu have a purple lightsaber?

2. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Because he's cool...

I don;t know. I know Samuel L. Jackson requested one so they gave it to him. I don't think there is any special reason except to make him seem more unique and badass.

3. venusboy

venusboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    a friend of mine came with the theory that blue are for the ones who are greatly skilled in both the Force and technical skills, green are for those better in technical skills, and some horse**** about YELLOW ones for those who are greatly skilled in the Force. I have never seen a yellow lightsaber in one of the movies, but maybe I've been blind, who knows?

if there isn't anything connected to your skills when it comes to lightsabers, then what is the color based on? nothing else but clothes-matching?

4. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Yellow sabers are from EU like KOTOR.Yuk.
    The reason mace's is purple because it is a electrum not crystal lightsaber.

5. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Originally, it was set up that the good guys would always have blue, and the bad guys would always have red. Then, when Return of the Jedi rolled around, it was hard to see Luke's blue lightsaber against the sands of Tatooine. So George Lucas decided to make his lightsaber green, and it showed up in those scenes a lot better. Then, as JediMaster77 said, Samuel L. Jackson requested a purple one (purple is his favorite color) for Attack of the Clones. Those four colors are the only colors that have shown up in the movies. I've heard that there are lots of different colors in Expanded Universe stories, but I'm not a big EU fan. I do know that Plo Koon has a yellow lightsaber and Adi Gallia has a crimson one in the Jedi Power Battles video game. Some of the Episode I toys for Jedi that never ignited their lightsabers in that film had different colors also.

EDIT: Matt-trooper, "electrum" refers to the gold finish on Mace's lightsaber hilt. All lightsabers (as far as I know) are crystal lightsabers. If you're referring to the AOTC character ad for Mace, they called his saber an electrum one just to add variety to the ads, since all the other ones that mentioned lightsabers called them "crystal" lightsabers.

6. Beyond_the_Stars

Beyond_the_Stars Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    -----------EU Forewarning---------------------

Before the battle of Ruusan, Jedi had access to that world's crystal deposits and crystals of every known hue. With the detonation of the Sith thought bomb, Ruusan crystals became unavailable. During Attack of the Clones, Jedi could only use crystals retrieved from the caves of Ilum. As a result, the blades of their weapons were always blue, or green--the only colours those crystals could produce. Of course, Mace Windu, and later, Luke Skywalker, used an ancient force tradition of imbuing regular crystals with the power of the Force, causing a variety of colours.

7. DarthDan10855863

DarthDan10855863 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    It's good that there's a variety in colours- but of course more variety in EU for instance, in games, you can make your lightsaber one colour on the inside and another on the outside, as all of you would undoubtably know.

8. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    And which games would that be?

9. Nkenobi

Nkenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    many games, like the Jedi Knight series, and KOTAR.

10. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I personally am a big fan of yellow lightsabers. I would have loved it if at least one or two Jedi in the arena had yellow lightsabers. Cuz caves or no caves, I'm sure some Jedi had their sabers for a long time. Like probably master Yoda. And it's a shame that they made Plo Koon's saber blue in the movie where it should have been yellow. It would've made it much more impressive.

As for Kotor, I know it's EU, but some people are just curious:

Blue are for "Jedi Guardians" who are great fighters and users of the physical espects of the Force.
    Green are for "Jedi Consulars" who have great skill in diplomacy and are advanced users of the Force.
    Yellow are for "Jedi Sentinels" who have an excellent awareness and have moderate skills in both physical and other uses of the Force.

I've only played Kotor 1, so I don't know if there is any explanation for purple sabers in 2, but there ARE purple lightsaber in Kotor 1, just no description.

Long live yellow sabers!

11. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Realistically, it is purple because Samuel L wanted it that way, so he gets what he wants.

EU wise, it just depends on which combination of crystal Mace Windoo used to create his own lightsaber from. Making his purple could signify a mysterious journey filled past, as noone else has a purple lightsaber. So he found a combination of crystals, or even a new crystal that noone else has come across.

In the games, different crystals did different things for a lightsaber other than color. Some would deflect blaster fire better, while others caused more damage, etc...

12. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    'EDIT: Matt-trooper, "electrum" refers to the gold finish on Mace's lightsaber hilt. All lightsabers (as far as I know) are crystal lightsabers. If you're referring to the AOTC character ad for Mace, they called his saber an electrum one just to add variety to the ads, since all the other ones that mentioned lightsabers called them "crystal" lightsabers'

Oh. Thankyou for clearing up that misconception I had.

13. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    Interesting. I always thought that blue lightsabers were for Padawans/less experienced Jedi, and green ones were for Masters. Go figure.

Incidentally, I think it was a nice touch to have both lightsabers be blue in the DUEL for ROTS. I take it as a symbol to show that at that point in their lives, Anakin and Obi Wan are true equals.

14. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    What about Ki-Adi-Mundi and his lightsaber that changes colour?

15. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    Mood saber.

16. rodman9866

rodman9866 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2004
    if you wanna get really into the EU, im not trying to say im a big fan of the EU but regardless. playing KOTOR 2 it mentions some meanings for other color lightsabers like a silver colored one (which i choses to play with) and its color resembled the color of 1000 fountains that flowed thru the jedi temple in couresaunt i think so. thus, you can attach whatever meaning you'd wish to that meaning you'd have to be one of the baddest of the jedi to control something like that and maintain that fluid movement.

17. Arch_Clone_Trooper

Arch_Clone_Trooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    sam wanted purple cuss he wanted purple, there is no real reason just different colors show up better, or becasue the actor is so good he requests a color.

Sam LJ is the bomb

18. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Mace Windu braved the rock-encrusted natives of Hurikane to recover rare purple crystals that give his lightsaber it's distinctive violet color.

That according to Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology.

19. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    So I was rihgt. Even without reading that I assumed he had to get some crystal to do it. And that it is Purple means Mace went through trials most would not face to get the crystal. Man, I love it when I am right ;)

20. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Yeah...you win.
    Congradulations...o_O

21. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    lucas said at some point between ep 1 and 2 that only blue green and red existed. sam j. asked for a purple one and lucas said sure.

but yellow should be ok too. the original luke action figure came with a yellow blade. it would be cool if at least one jedi had a yellow blade, just to pay homage to the old figures

22. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    It's fine and dandy that these Saber colors have different meanings and all, but regardless, I feel that Yoda should be the only Jedi to have a different colored lightsaber, not Mace. Or at the very least, he should have a different colored saber ALONG with Mace. Sure I understand that Windu is supposed to be the second most powerful Jedi next to Yoda, but we get no sense of this from the movies. In fact, his character is very underdeveloped. If not for the fact that Sam Jackson was playing Mace Windu and asked for it, he would not have been given a purple lightsaber otherwise. If Lucas could give one to Sam, then he definitely shoulda given one to the most powerful Jedi.

Sure you can say that Yoda wasn't that high on himself and didn't want to go out of his way to make himself stick out from the other Jedi, and thus, send the message that he thought he was better than everyone. Maybe this is part of Mace's personality. Perhaps he feels that he's a bad ass, and trained very hard to get that way, and that he's earned the right to have a different color. But again, we wouldn't know this due to lack of character development, and plus, we know he was only given it upon Jackson's request. At any rate, from what we've seen of Mace, he doesn't warrant having a different color from the others, because he doesn't stick out. IMO any Jedi coulda chopped of Jango's head like that.

On the other hand, we've come to know Yoda through four (five counting ROTS) movies, and we know quite a bit about his character, and how he thinks. Not to mention that we've seen him in action, in a fight that surpassed anything that Mace did in AOTC. So, we SEE that Yoda is the most powerful Jedi, and in that mindframe, he should have the lightsaber that sticks out. A yellow one would do quite nicely, and woulda looked great clashing against the red of Dooku's saber =)

23. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    That's all crap. Red is for bad guys, blue r green is for god guys, and it makes no difference what color it is. IT is simply to their preference. The purple lightsaber is unique for Windu because he's cool.

Slimy!

24. Gemini9857

Gemini9857 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    Because he wanted one. In the special features he was like "can I have a purple lightsaber?" So they went ahead and gave it to him. It's just something they did to make the actor happy.

25. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Yellow from what I gather, wouldn't show up very well on screen.

In the movies, it's probably just practical to keep it to a few colors-less work for the special effects guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.