main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit literary origins of the "sith"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Likewater, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I was Reading the new Dresden Files Novel, and there is a character called Cat Sith (yes Harry asks where is his Red Lightsaber)

Cat Sith Harry eventually concludes is not "evil", but Hyperviolent and Prideful...(Which is i guess a way to keep on good terms with the super kitty I guess, cause differnce much?)

I also found Baobhan sith, a vampire like fae. Do you suppose these folk lores are directly responsable for the sith (Star wars) devlopmental direction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Sìth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baobhan_sith

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well I never... I always thought Cait Sith in Final Fantasy 7 was just a Star Wars reference, I never realised it was both a Star Wars reference and a Celtic myth.

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I always thought the inspiration for the actual word "Sith" came to Lucas from the Barsoom books. Wouldn't be the only thing.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How long has "Sith" as a derivative of "Sidhe" been around?

5. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't know probably very long time, as in centuries, I am sure it predates the insuatrial revolution and the age of exploration.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, the Sidhe! That's the fairies I linked to Waiting for Godot! (I couldn't remember what the name was.)

This post will only make sense if you've recently read the One Sentence or Less thread :p

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I was thinking more "Is "Sith" as "scary faeries" old enough, and well known enough, that Lucas could have gotten the name for his Evil Force Users from that?"

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    As far as I'm aware, it did. A sith is a giant wasp-thing from the third book, if I recall.

9. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Truthfully not all of the "scary faries" unseelie or seelie have Sith in their names just Cu-sith, Cat sith, and Baobhan sith.

I can't figure out how to put the little accents on cu sith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cù_Sìth

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought there might have been a period where "Sith" was used as an alternate spelling of "Sidhe".

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine: giant wasp-thing, or scary fairy?

_Catherine_ likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Totally a fairy. Have you seen the way he looks at Vader?

13. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Sith is a Scottish Gaelic spelling, Sidhe is a Irish Gaelic spelling. Both are pronounced more or less identically closer to 'Shee' (as in Banshee).

The Basoom origin is more likely, not that I would put it past George Lucas to pronounce Scottish words wrong.

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I figured it was fairfolk origin because of the sith's(starwars) general behavior.