main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Literature About Sports

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Have you ever bought any good books about sport? About strategies? Tactics or techniques? About how to start with a sport? How to train? A biography? What books would you suggest to other people? Please, describe it a bit and let us know what is good and bad about your suggested book. :)

I have bought some books about sports and some are really good. One of them is the book "Handbuch Pferd" ("handbook horse"). It's a really big book and written by various authors. It contains the topics breeding, housing of the horse, education, sport, medicine and law. Of course this book can only give a short overview of these topics, but it is done in a very well way and you get quite interesting information. You should have some basic knowledge about horses already, because topics like "how to learn riding" aren't mentioned in that book. So it's a book for all people who want to learn more about horses and don't want to buy lots of various books.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Education of a Coach, the biography of Bill Belichick.

Last book I read, and it's great. Really takes you through his life and family and sort of allows you to possibly gain some insight into why he's such a mellow guy--also walks you through his NFL career, and one of the most interesting points for me, illustrates all of the connections he has both in college and pro ball.

A very interesting read about one of my favorite figures in sports.

3. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    That Giants secretary he had an affair with must've been a big part of his personal life. :p

If you want to read a good baseball book, I recommend Moneyball, a highly-acclaimed book that chronicles the career of Billy Beane and his execution of the 'moneyball' philosophy developed over the years by mathematicians and statisticians as GM of the Oakland A's.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I just finished The Rivarly: Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball by John Taylor. It was pretty interesting, if you like basketball and it's history. It was interesting reading about the early years of the league and some of the people from it- it obviously concentrated on the Celtics and Lakers/Warriors/76ers (Wilt's teams) but it was still really pretty good.

5. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I haven't started it yet, but after a couple of enthusiastic recommendations from friends, I recently purchased The Game by Ken Dryden, which is widely considered the best book about hockey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.