main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Losing interest in SW?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LLL, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakermaker

shakermaker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    "Titanic is the most successfull film of all time (forget that inflation-nonsense)"

What do you mean, forget inflation? Titanic is NOT the most succesfull movie ever. It is far behind ANH on a world wide basis when you take inflation into acount. A lot more people have SEEN ANH than Titanic and that's the way you should look at the term "succes".

I hate people refering to Titanic as the BÃŒGGEST MOVIE EVER - because it isn't. Just look at the numbers for the north-american boxoffice. When looking at the inflation adjusted list Titanic is number 5 - with ANH at number 2 behind only Gone with the Wind. ANH is more than 300 million dollars ahead of Titanic. On a worldwide basis ANH is by far the number one movie of all time.

Inflation IS essential when figuring out which movies are the most succesfull - a ticket today may cost 8 dollars - but it didn't 25 years ago.

Just thought I'd make that clear :)

2. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Titanic is the most successful movie on its first run, though. All the movies that beat it on the adjusted for inflation list had many years of re-releases. I may not like it, but it was a very popular film.

3. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    Shelly:
    --And AOTC and TPM are both credible box office cinematic hits.--

Yes, they are. I didn't say they weren't. What I would like to say is that TPM was a critical failure and AOTC was a marginal critical success.

Shelly:
    --OK. So why are you still hanging around discussing them? --

Because I did enjoy AOTC. Had AOTC been as bad as TPM, I would probably stopped coming to this forum. I also enjoy discussing Star Wars.

Shelly:
    --I don't understand why awards are needed to make sci fi credible. Awards are, IMO, mostly meaningless popularity contests.--

So that mainstream pop culture will take the movies more seriously rather than as a "popcorn" flick.

Shelly:
    --I don't understand why awards are needed to make sci fi credible. Awards are, IMO, mostly meaningless popularity contests. --

Re: Teminator and Terminator 2. That is that reference I was making and were made subsequent to Star Wars trilogy.

Shelly:
    --In some ways, he is--he's telling other chapters of the story he began 25 years ago. In other ways, he is innovating like mad. He's creating whole new worlds which weren't possible to realize 25 years ago. So I don't understand why you're saying he's behind the times--simply because you don't like what he's put out. --

Read my response to That_Wascally_Droid.

That_Wascally_Droid:
    --Errr cause that's what SW is? SW isn't minority report. SW is the cheesy B movie. Most of you are complaining from high heaven to low hell that the PT doesn't mesh with the OT. Imagine if Lucas sudenly made SW into some modern sci-fi movie. Oh yeah. That'd mesh real well. --

Then perhaps Lucas has made a seriously bad judgment call in producing a prequel trilogy.

Rather than go backwards, why didn't Lucas move forward with the story and produce films that told the story of a Republic re-building after the corruption of the Emperor?

4. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I still think that people like Star Wars, but the naysayers of TPM and even AOTC are ruining a lot these days. Plus, I think there's inevitable cutbacks that come from sequels. And, no matter what they're called, that's what the PT is. Something I found interesting is that, if you adjust the inflation rate, the order that the SW movies appear on the top 100 moneymakers of all time is in their order of release. First, ANH, then ESB, ROTJ, TPM, and then AOTC. And, with adjusted inflation, Ep III will make even less money than AOTC. Interest wanes with every series. It's slowly but surely happening with Star Wars. Some day it will happen to the likes of Spider-Man, etc.

But, I know one thing. I know someone who is 12 years old, and is a huge Star Wars freak. And, he loves TPM and AOTC as much as if not MORE THAN the OT. So, maybe thinking like a kid when we see the SW movies isn't such a bad idea after all, huh? And, I think that's what the media doesn't get and never will get.

DR

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "Errr cause that's what SW is? SW isn't minority report. SW is the cheesy B movie. Most of you are complaining from high heaven to low hell that the PT doesn't mesh with the OT. Imagine if Lucas sudenly made SW into some modern sci-fi movie. Oh yeah. That'd mesh real well."

Um, I wasn't complaining. I was pointing out why I believe some people dislike the prequels so much. The story and characters in the prequels are different from the originals (obviously), but the style of filmmaking is the same. The dialogue is still corny, the action is still OTT and some of the acting is still a bit dodgy. None of that has changed from the originals. All that's changed is that people seem to be less forgiving of the prequel's flaws than they were with the original trilogy.

6. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    *All that's changed is that people seem to be less forgiving of the prequel's flaws than they were with the original trilogy.*

Nope, But there wasn't something like the internet where you have all these people posting there (for them) very important oppinions.

However this is just the top: your average "StarWars loving people being" doesn't visit this topic/forum and doesn't complain. And there are those critics but it seems less and less people are listening to them...

So take your total group of StarWars fans minus the internet geeks minus critics and you've got ohhh 90% who loved/liked AotC...

As for that forgiving errors in the OT: that's not true.

TesB: 3PO was bashed, the dark story was bashed, Mark was bashed for bad acting
    RotJ: The Ewoks, Romance, an other Death Star.

There just wasn't an internet to post this all, but it was there!

Last thing: Do you really think that George should care about ohh about 500 people posting in this topic being negative about AotC? Sure... Hell nobody does! Not even if it included 50000 for the entire internet worldwide!!!

50000ppl x $8 x 3times viewing it averg. = $1.200.000 for it's entire World Wide Gross. Peanuts! :p

7. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I don't think, I just post. My life is too busy for spallchekcing. if yu got a problem with that, bit me :)

8. rom8girl

rom8girl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    I've been trying to keep up with this thread from time to time and read all the posts. There are undoublty some interesting comments and good points.

I guess in my opinion of the whole issue, I approach it like this...I am wondering what happened to approaching these films with the mind of a child. I have watched my friends children and other children in general in the movie and after and they loved it!! They come out ready to be jedi :)

They are not picking it apart or George Lucas, instead they are unsing there imagination and having fun in the SW fantasy world (so to speak)...

I was 6 years old when the OT came out in '77 and was hooked from day one. That child-like approach/mentality followed me through to the PT. And I was not disappointed. I also have to wonder if we are not so spoiled by all the "new" cienamatic things out that we have forgetten how to enjoy a movie like the SW movies. We keep trying to compare it too all the others...(LOTR, Spidey, Matrix, Minority Report.) The SW universe is none of those simply put. Yes, we are entitled to our views and opinions!! For instance, I absoultely hated the Matrix. I thought it was very boring. But it just wasn't my kind of movie. But I didn't spend all my time picking it apart either.

Anyway, my point is I don't understand why many people didn't approach this movie like the children just going to watch it and have a good time. (I do realize some of you were not born when the OT was out, but I do know that you are none the less, true fans! :)

Just my thoughts..but again, good thread!!

9. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002

Anyway, my point is I don't understand why many people didn't approach this movie like the children just going to watch it and have a good time.

Approaching it like children is even worse. Because the political scenes and the mystery of Sifo-Dyus would go over our heads. I have two younger cousins who thought these scenes were deathly boring. I don't blame them. Why the heck would they be interested in hearing something so complex. If these were supposed to be silent film, George could've filmed it in a more suggestive way -- darker lighting, shadows, low camera angles, whatever. However, he films many of the dull political scenes in the most pedestrian way. There's no creativity or thought put behind some scenes. It's just "there".

10. kittenmommy

kittenmommy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2001

LLL wrote:

I have been disappointed in the dropping of AOTC out of the theaters so fast and in what appears to be the recent "crowning" by the moviegoing public of films like Spider Man (vomitvomitvomit) as obviously "cooler."

Hey, I LIKED "Spiderman"!

It even seems to me in some circles that Sw fandom is beginning to look as cheesy and geeky as ST fandom. As if SW is getting "old hat" to some.

Does anyone else get the same feeling these days?

Yes. When ATOC opened, the local news went to one of the theaters and did a story that could have been called "Geeks on Parade". They chose to spotlight the biggest no-life losers they could find and present them as "average Star Wars" fans. It was incredible.

11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes. When ATOC opened, the local news went to one of the theaters and did a story that could have been called "Geeks on Parade". They chose to spotlight the biggest no-life losers they could find and present them as "average Star Wars" fans. It was incredible.

Don't forget that "Insult the Comic Dog" skit on Conan a few months ago [face_plain]

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    So that mainstream pop culture will take the movies more seriously rather than as a "popcorn" flick.

And why do you want that? Do you need to have movies taken seriously instead of being "popcorn" flicks before your life is complete?

Shelly:

Shelley.

Re: Teminator and Terminator 2. That is that reference I was making and were made subsequent to Star Wars trilogy.

Yeah. So? Most people considered them popcorn flicks.

Then perhaps Lucas has made a seriously bad judgment call in producing a prequel trilogy.

Rather than go backwards, why didn't Lucas move forward with the story and produce films that told the story of a Republic re-building after the corruption of the Emperor?

I don't know. You'll have to ask him. And if you think he's made such an error, no one's forcing you to spend your precious time or money on the PT, which was such a bad judgment error in your opinion. You can go spend your time and money on boring, pretentious, undeservedly praised movies like LOTR because they're "taken seriously."

13. rom8girl

May 28, 2002
    I have two younger cousins who thought these scenes were deathly boring. I don't blame them. Why the heck would they be interested in hearing something so complex.

When I was 6 years old in '77 I didn't necessarily understand every thing going on with Vader and Tarkin and their little "political meetings"..but I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Yes some parts can be boring for children..but what I was saying, was just have fun and use your imagination like a child...

14. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Man, when I was 8, I was bored with the majority of ESB, except for the Luke/Vader duel. :D

Same with the beginning of ANH. And parts of ROTJ.

The political stuff went over my head, all I knew was Vader, the Emperor, and the stormtroopers = badguys; Luke, Leia, Han = goodguys.

But I still adored the movies. Star Wars transcends to all ages.

15. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Man, when I was 8, I was bored with the majority of ESB, except for the Luke/Vader duel.

Careful, Violet...you're saying that about the Holiest of Holies! ;)

16. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Careful, Violet...you're saying that about the Holiest of Holies!"

actually, as stated by tarantino through the mouth of sam jackson, the holiest of holies lies between a woman's legs. :D

violet said this about his viewing experience as a kid. i'm sure it doesn't hold true now. i used to think very similarly, didn't understand what was happening except in the obvious parts.

17. rom8girl

May 28, 2002
    Thumbs up to you, THEVIOLETBURNS!!
    That's exactly how I felt and what I was trying to convey..
    You know the good guys, you know the bad guys..what else is there!!??!!
    :)

18. XTRO

XTRO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Shelley- "You can go spend your time and money on boring, pretentious, undeservedly praised movies like LOTR...". I love that you jump down peoples throats for giving their opinions but you have no problem spewing your own all over the boards.

19. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Honestly?

I've become more obssessed with SW since the release of AOTC. I haven't been this obssessed since ESB.

20. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    You know, I wasn't even thinking about some of the things that have come out when i first posted in this forum.

I now realize that I think why SW may be losing "interest" or why the numbers are in decline and what not.

When the OT came out, guess what was not in use......COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET. Which leads to bootlegged versions being passed along (I love that people are getting a virus, serves them right. I think that people are scumbags who watch and buy pirated movies.)
    Plus most of us were kids. When I watched the PT, I went looking to just watch my favorite films be explained further.

I have been able to see that this messed up world is further defaced by idiot movie critics and know-it-all college educated people who think that their **** don't stink. I sometimes regret that I brought a child into this world that has to go thru with all of this crap......
    You know what, I am going to stop. I might say something else that could become a problem.

21. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    "Losing interest in SW?"

*Sigh*

You know, I wasn't quite sure if this day would ever come. Actually, I was sincerely hoping it wouldn't. But to answer the question truthfully?

Unfortunately...yes. I am losing interest in Star Wars. I'm not sure why. And I'm pretty sure it's not a phase, as I've never really experienced a loss of interest like this before.

I DO know that it's got nothing to do with the perception of the public towards Star Wars or the fans of Star Wars. I could honestly care less. But the interest just isn't there anymore.

During its hiatus, of course I wasn't always thinking about Star Wars. But if somebody mentioned it, even though it was long gone, my interest would suddenly perk. Now, Star Wars is all around us, and I honestly don't give much of a rat's ass.

Maybe it's like Jedi_Satimber said. Maybe it's a combination of things. Maybe a saturation of Star Wars, or the cynicisms of society in general.

Or maybe it's just a simple matter of me living out the perpetual gusher argument, that being that I've "lost my inner child". I don't know, and the sad thing is - right now - I kinda don't care. I came across this thread, recognized, and responded amidst some mindless, pointless, habitual surfing that - quite frankly - has become tedious.

To me, Star Wars was never the best thing. But it was always a fun, reliable, and even intellectual thing (if I wanted it to be). It's not even that anymore. Maybe now it's just been swamped under even a lot more things that are just plain better.

22. DarthIvanNemesis

DarthIvanNemesis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Maybe the people who are losing interest are you goody-two shoes Jedi fans. What is unfolding in the SW universe is that all was not sweetness and light in the old Republic, nor in the Jedi order. It's a great time to be alive if you are fan of Lord Sidious, Lord Vader, Darth Maul, Count Dooku. For not only will the next film seal the triumph of Empire, the new films have given the Sith and the Empire a case to argue as opposed to what the Jedi and Old Republic have to offer.

Regards,

Darth Nemesis, Sith bloke

23. DarthIvanNemesis

DarthIvanNemesis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    One final thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but after Ep. III, I want to keep on petitioning GL to do Ep. VII, VIII and IX. And bring in Timothy Zahn. I get shivers up and down my spine thinking about the idea of getting to see Grand Admiral Thrawn in action (oh what fun).

Regards,

Darth Nemesis, Sith bloke

24. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    One final thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but after Ep. III, I want to keep on petitioning GL to do Ep. VII, VIII and IX. And bring in Timothy Zahn. I get shivers up and down my spine thinking about the idea of getting to see Grand Admiral Thrawn in action (oh what fun).

Could be interesting, that...

25. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i agree, the only eu series i could see on the big screen are written by tim zahn. regardless, if lucas was going to make 7-9 i'd rather him write new stories for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.