main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA LOTR - Battle Games In Middle Earth

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Aztek, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Just wondering if anyone else is collecting these, or is planning on it.

Ummyep and myself are both collecting, not really keen on learning how to play the game, maybe one day down the track, mainly interested in painting the little figures.

If there are a few people interested we were thinking of having some sort of get together, kinda like the lightsaber crafternoon thing, where everyone could get together and swap painting tips and ideas.

Just a thought.

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I haven't seen it. What are the figures like?
    Years ago, we used to play middle earth roleplaying (MERP) and its more advanced version Rolemaster, but the game itself didn't have decent figurines. We used to use Warhammer ones instead since they were generally good quality and looked about right since most of those games are based on Middle Earth anyway.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The game itself has been out a while now, I'd love to get them myself but the prices are crazy. I've never played Warhammer or anything like that, so it would be good to get some tips on how to play, build an army or two.

4. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    The figures are made by the same people that make warhammer stuff, so it's basically that kinda quality.

5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm not going to be getting it.

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I got 4 copies of the first mag (seriously, 48 Moria Orcs for the price of about 12 normally?) and I picked up the 2nd issue today, gonna get at least one more copy of that one as well.
    The game is very cool, I played it a bit in the shops ( I have a couple of friends who work in the morley store) and I quite enjoyed it, and this is a very cheap way of obtaining the miniatures.
    I'd certainly be up for a crafternoon type gig, especially if there's a game involved...

7. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    If there is going to be a game involved then it might be better to wait a while, so there are a few more figures to play with.

Otherwisw we might end up with 24 orcs against 48 orcs.

Plus the fact that I have no idea how the game works at all, Ummyep might have some idea.

8. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The thing with the LotR rules: Easy to learn, difficult to master.
    Instead of straight out competition, we could just have a run through of the game where we can learn the rules as they are being played, I'm still learning them myself so I like that option too.
    Lemme give you a break down of my armies so far:

16 Orc Bowmen
    16 Orc Swordsmen
    16 Orc Spearmen
    8 Elven swordsman
    8 Elven Bowmen
    8 Men of Gondor

I also have the stats for Elrond and Sauron, (you can use the carboard cut-outs in the magazines as temp figs) so if you guys have a bunch of Orcs as well, and you're getting issue 2 with the Elves and Gondorians, we could actually have an impressive game of the Last Alliance battle of the end of the second age (the prologue battle from Fellowship).

Either way, I also like the idea of a crafternoon so we can all sit down and paint them and have a damn good catchup ;)

EDIT: Talking to a friend last night, he strongly advised it would be a good idea to subscribe to this, it turns out that the 3 gifts listed do not stop there, and there will also be exclusives for subscribers not available in stores.

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, how would Saturday the 20th of March at my place sound? Issue 2 with the Gondorians and Elves came out yesterday, and the issue with Frodo will have just come out on that date.
    Who'd be available for some painting, snacking and yacking then?

10. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'll speak to Ummyep, but that sounds good to me.

I sent me subscription stuff in at the beginning of the week, I may not have recieved anything by the 20th though.

Looking forward to getting Balin's Tomb, looks very cool.

How do the Gondorians and Elves look.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The Gondorians look good, The Elves even better, (probably because Clare painted them) and overall the detail on the sculpts is very nice.
    So, shall we say Saturday the 20th at 1pm?
    Anyone who wants to come along, PM me for the address.
    Oh and Aron and Alan, we've moved since you were last over, but only about 5 mins down the road :)

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm just down the road from your old place. 6 hours down the road but the same road nevertheless. ;)

13. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'll speak to Alan tomorrow, see what he's up to on that day.

14. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    do the packs on the magazines come with the prepackaged gamesworkshop store smell?
    icky BO smell that seems to have been a vintage variety they never bothered to air out :p

15. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Do Gamesworkshop actually sell anything other than Warhammer stuff and warhammer derived stuff? I've only been in there a couple of times but I've never seen anything for any other roleplaying games.

16. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    That smell actually comes from the workers I think, I'm pretty sure that when the stores close they just stay inside all night playing the games, waiting for daylight.

Games workshop stores sell stuff for warhammer and warhammer 40k ( I think thats what it is called) they also sell lord of the rings stuff.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I think the smell is more the clientelle than the staff, because I know at least two of their homes don't smell like that, (See? they do go home ;) )

And Steve, they omly sell Warhammer & related (inc LotR) because they only sell what they make, going in thewir for say TSR/AD&D products is a little like going into McDonald's to buy a Whopper...

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    So they're run by the same folks who do the warhammer games then? I'd just assumed it was a regular games shop. Didn't know it was just for the one game. I don't play RPGs these days so I'm not up to date on what's what.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Ok, so I've kept this Saturday free, how's 1pm for ppl?
    For those interested, whether you wanna paint miniatures or just come along and chat/hang out, PM me for the address.
    If you're painting & stuff, please bring your own brushes, paints glue etc.
    Nibblies are also good ;)

20. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Not good,

Alan has some kind of first aid thing happening at a camp, so he is gone all weekend, and I was asked this afternoon to help with coaching for a softball grand final on saturday so I'm out too.

Not happy Jan.....

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    No probs, you guys let me know when's a good time, just gimme a couple of weeks notice :)

22. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Here's a link to some online info I found regarding upcoming issues, anything past issue 31 is speculative, but atm there isn't any reason for it to change.

Also, if you're not subscribing by now, do it. I've now had a few ppl "in the know" with Gamesworkshop strongly advise me to subscribe.
    They're still treating this info like it's a state secret though :\

23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Recieved the first shipment today containing packs 2 and 3 plus the magnifying glass and tool kit. Not too bad.

Might have to consider actually painting the figures from the first game pack soon.

I keep looking at the pictures in the mags and wonder how the hell I am going to make my figures look anything like them.

Patience required I think.

24. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    Aaron, I swear its not as hard as it looks...... while I havent been collecting the LOTR set, I used to paint other figures in the same scale by Games Workshop and you can get them really good with maybe only one or two models practice...... seriously a case of not as hard as it looks and the amge give you the brushes to do it well anyhoo :)

25. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    He's absolutely correct, go in with the attitude that you're going to have to redo the first couple you do (mainly because after you have done a few of them you will think the first ones don't look as good as the rest of them) and you'll be fine.
    I might post some pics of the ones I've finished, just gotta go take them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.