main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Low and behold...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Basically ponder for a moment which you think is a worse scenario:

A: Despite being hammered by fans wanting the originals, Lucasfilm keeps it's promise and the originals never come out officially on DVD. Purist Fans grudgingly buy the special edition dvd, but plan to murder George Lucas whilst naked at an opera. Many twisted fans remain glad he died.

B: Lucasfilm realises after the hammering they are getting from fans, that they owe it to them to offer the originals on DVD. Half are happy that they got their way whilst the other half whine about it on the Internet and treat George Lucas like a politician rather than a businessman and plan to kill him whilst naked at an opera.

At least with option B the purist fans get what they want- and deserve.

People make promises- but at least don't you find some nobility in that he gave the fans what thet wanted, rather than remaining stubborn about it.

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    No Johnnage, I found that "raped" comment laughable as well.

What you don't seem to grasp here is that the problem I'm having is packaging both versions of the film together, so that to get the versions I wanted to begin with, I have to also buy the versions I was told would be the final and only release of the OT on DVD.

Is that really so hard for you to grasp?

Anyway, about not attending basketball games, that was a pretty stupid and irrellevant comment.

but at least don't you find some nobility in that he gave the fans what thet wanted

Oh please. If he was so "noble" then he wouldn't have packed the SEs in with them.

3. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    But they aren't being packaged together are they?

I've read 10 or 12 articles saying they will be available as a package or seperate!

4. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Well, I've read the official announcement stating that the original versions will be packaged in with the SEs.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Why do I smell a fight between the DVD and OOTers in CT?

;)

6. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    So it does SM.

Well then. We'll have to see how "Attractively priced" they are.

So I gather from that that each dvd package will be like the Abyss. One disc with the theatrical and one with the Special Edition.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sith, even if they hadn't lied in all probability you, or most of fandom at least if you want to pretend to some sort of purity ;), would have still purchased both. I have on video the original when they were released with blue covers, the SE Videos, the SE Widescreen videos (with the "bonus AOTC" stuff), the SE Widescreen VCDs with Chinese subtitles (from when I was in Taiwan), and the DVDs. I'll get these DVDs too. And not get huffy and puffy and threaten to blow Lucas' house in. :)

E_S

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I'm also like that and find excitement in having every bloody version- but it's not viable for everyone- either in terms of fandom or financial situation.

Other than that I'm excited to own all versions. The evil marketing works on me- but it's there because people like me want it.

9. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Ender, the fact you have all versions is your choice. I don't see how that makes the way this has been done to be alright.

I wouldn't have purchased the last set had I known this was coming out, nor would I have been quite so vocal now if they weren't just re-releasing the SE's with the OT as a "bonus feature".

I can apreciate some people don't care, that's fine and I respect that.

I'm just pointing out that I, and some other fans, feel this is a major rip and an insult.

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Don't be insulted. Just pay more money! :D

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm sure the three of you will be OK in the end, Sithy. :D

E_S

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Should I dust off my canon cannon?

Where is Bib when you need him? ;)

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Katana, the worst thing you could do is turn this into an SE Vs OT debate, because that's not what it's about.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Bib is permbanned.

Besides, Genghis12 coined the term Canon Cannon back in the days of the WEG AOL SWRPG email list, before either of us registered at TF.N.

!!!

E_S

15. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I love watching intelligent people fight.

it's like Gandalf vs Saruman, or Merlin versus the Witch in Sword in the Stone!

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I wasn't going to, I was making a joke.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Sorry, guess I should have been able to tell from the tone of your voice...

18. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    You can count me in the list of people who think all this talk of the fans winning and pressuring Lucas into releasing the originals is a load of baloney. He's trying to make more money, as he has been for about ten years now, by ensuring that IF you want a legal version of the originals, you have to buy the new ones too, which you probably already have. Had he released it separately, this wouldn't even be a debate. I understand and respect the collector mentality (as one only can when they spend enough time here, lest they be driven insane) but for those of us who feel a duplicate of something we already own is wasteful, no matter what shiny box it comes in, the decision to do this smacks of giving in one hand and thwapping you over the head with a newspaper in the other.

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well there was the ;) I had at the end of my post.

Maybe I should have been more specific and did a :p instead.

And I agree Hawk, the only reason GL looked at the fans for this is that he saw the market for it.

Somehow, everything goes back to the schwartz.

[image=http://www.starwars-union.de/vonfansfuerfans/vermischtes/hiddensw/bilder/spaceballs/spaceballs1.jpg]

20. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    While I won't buy this format, I will reiterate what Sith has a problem with so there's no confusion.
    1) That the original trilogy is being released on DVD when it was said that they wouldn't be; and...
    2) That they are being released with the SE, as bonus features if you will, so it makes having already bought the SE a waste of time and money.

Now, where were we...?

21. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well I for one will not be giving Lucas any more of my hard earned $$$$$.

I already own the SE Trilogy and I don't need another copy just for the sake of owning the OT on DVD. If I can find another way of getting just the OT I'll get it.

But between now and Sept Lucas may sense another way of making even more money by releasing the OT by themselves. Just before christmas in new packaging, so that the gullible among us end up owning both versions, numerous times over.

It's all about making money, giving into fans demands has absolutely nothing to do with it!

22. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    sure- but meh!

Who doesn't want to make money?

But who actually believed that there was no chance of seeing the originals on dvd again?

if you don't wanna pay another $50 for the originals then don't buy them- stick to the existing version that you have.

But George Lucas doesn't owe any of us anything! He's running a business, not a service.

I mean whether or not it was a marketing ploy or not is irrelevant. It's a business, and it's there to make money, but I honestly believe that Lucas doesn't want to release the original versions. He's stated that many times.

So sue the guy if he allows them to be released because hundreds of people have been knocking his door down asking for the originals on dvd.

Sure he'll make money off it- why shouldn't he???? But at the end of the day, Lucas has done something for fans, rather than for himself.

Either way, thousands want to kill him, but at least people can have what they've been asking for.

23. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Nope

I can't believe I have to explain this yet again.

the problem here, is that they are being packaged with discs we already own and that some of us bought based of the comments I posted about earlier.

For those of you willing to go buy again. Great. You're collectors. I respect that.

I just can't believe people like myself and MM are being told that the marketing "ploy" used to sell the same discs yet again is just business and that noone should have a complaint about it.

I want to believe you guys aren't seriously that stupid, but I'm not seeing evidence to the contrary.

And yes, the tone of this post has strayed and maybe gotten a little personal. But what I'm seeing here is a lack of understanding for the fans who feel this way and some sort of expectance wwe should just all shut up and pay up, regardless of the fact we already paid up after being told this would never happen.

Screw it. And, again, no

24. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    JOHNNAGE - I do want the Original Trilogy as I saw them when they first came to the cinema in 77 etc. I just don't want the SE that they are going to be packaged with, I ALREADY OWN THE SE VERSION!

I just don't see why people like SM, myself and plenty of others should be expected to pay for the SE version again just to own the Original Theatrical versions.

25. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Thanks SM.

I understand what you are saying- but I really don't believe you'd be paying any more for the set by including the SE on the flip side of the disc as I've heard about.

(just like when dvd's had widescreen on the flip side)

But as a Star Wars fan, wouldn't you be planning on owning both versions anyway?

I realise that it's a possibility that the SE's will be included in the set- but from what I've heard is that it's not going to alter the price to the consumer- and that they are going to be cheaper than the average set in a sense of aknowledging that a promise had been broken.

There was an interview with Lucas a month before the Dvd release of the SE's and he stated that he preferred not to release the originals.

If you hate the Special Editions so much, then why buy them on dvd?

I honestly can't believe that people expected to never see the originals on dvd. It was inevitable.

For starters,the prequels wouldn't be released on dvd until they were all completed.

Then the original trilogy dvd set was not supposed to be available until after the release of Indiana Jones IV!!

Both were release early due to large demand and to take advantage of holiday releases.

I'm not stupid, but people really have to stop feeling like their Lord and Saviour has betrayed them. He's just a man trying to make money and keep fans happy (and spending $$$)It's not evil. The guy's been a marketing guru since 1977/78 for crying out loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.