main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN LSO Music of Hollywood Concert Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jar Jar, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Don't worry about it Rose. We all know you're out and about so you're doing a lot better than me given the circumstances. Angi was mentioning something about having a get-together on the 2nd, but I will be working unfortunately. I am off for Memorial Day though, so yay for me! :D

As far as the hotel issue goes it looks like we have rooms reserved at the Days Inn downtown for the 7th. The hotel is only 4 blocks from the Arena, so it will be very convenient which is always a huge plus. Each of us owes 36.20 a peice on it and Angi charged it, so you'll need to get that money to her.

If anyone has any questions about it, just met me or Angi know.

2. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    I gave Angela my check today to give to you. I forgot your last name though, so you can fill that in. :)

Unfortunatly I won't see you guys much this summer because I'll be in Virginia for the better part of it. Kinda last min decision but I'll be visiting pleanty. And I'll be back before Dragoncon and the Concert, so it's all good.

3. YodasQueen

YodasQueen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2003
    what check.... LOL :D

Just teasing I will hand it over at the next meeting.

4. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Well I'm upping this because there is only two more weeks until the fun begins.. Well at least for those of us that are not going to both Dragon Con and the concert (who I am totally jealous of). Now that it's this close, I have discovered that it shall especially rock because I will get paid the Friday before the concert. It's not that I was in any danger of going down there broke or anything, but it's always good to have reinforcements show up at the last minute so to speak.

Total goodness all around! :D

5. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    Hmmm... I wonder if I get another check before dragon con... that would be nice. Then after that unless they pay me for my comp time, no more checks :( ah well. Does anyone know where we are going to meet up, and when? I can give you my cell number.

6. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    I just read that they cancelled the tour.. is that true?

7. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E003894B42B95C2?brand=&artistid=914113&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

8. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Oh well, forget what I was saying!

I think I'll go ahead and cancel my vacation time. :(

9. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    that sucks! do you think we will get our money back?

10. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    Ok, on the rooms... i got 65.50 per room back, better than nothing :D

11. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    And I just got done talking with the folks at ticketmaster and they will be refunding the money to the credit card minus the shipping and handling and the processing fee. This is MUCH better than the original arrangement the website told me, which was to mail all the original tickets back to them and then they would mail me a refund in the next 6-8 weeks.

What a difference talking to an actual human being makes! :D

12. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'm glad your refund will be much faster in getting to you than you originally thought.

But it really stinks that they cancelled the concert. *sigh*

But I hope to perhaps see a few of you at Dragon*Con. :)

13. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Me too Minacia!

I agree that it kinda' stinks that things didn't work out, but I'm sure it was all for the best. I'm actually going to be using my share of the ticket money to offset some car repair expenses, so I guess that it's a good thing. Besides, I've got just about all the music I wanted to hear from it on CD, but I'm still going miss all that pyro! [face_skull]

14. YodasQueen

Jun 9, 2003
    I got all the hotel money back except 50 bucks, 25 per room. Just take your share of the room out of my share of the ticket money if ya don't mind. I will spend the rest at dragon con muhahahahahaha

15. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Well it looks like we finally have a reason for why the tour was cancelled, not that it was any kind of big shock or anything. I nearly burst into tears as I read this off of the concert website, but then again, no I didn't:

It is with deeply sincere regret that I was forced to cancel what was, to me, the dream of a lifetime. It was not lightly done, for I had worked for the past three years to put this tour together with some of the finest musicians in the world, playing some of the most stirring, moving music in the world. And all this bound together with some spectacular special effects. I know there was nothing like these concerts going to be performed anywhere in the world, this year or next.

We didn?t rush into this. Two and one half years ago, we piloted the concept in Nashville and Birmingham. It was a great success ? selling for example over 7,000 tickets for one night only in Nashville. Based on those early experiences we put together even better shows for 2004. The venue managers/owners, and our marketing partners in each of the cities foresaw a great success for everyone, perhaps something that could become a tradition.

But the early ticket sales were just not there and despite extra marketing and advertising money being committed, they remained slow, coming nowhere near to the patterns originally established in Nashville and Birmingham. Why, we asked ourselves? And we talked to many experts in the field in the cities where we were about to perform. Most said the market was very slow for all performing arts.

But I still don?t get it.

We had what I thought was the best concert experience in the world. We certainly had the best, most recorded symphony orchestra in the world. And there is no doubt about the immense power and appeal of the music.

But in the end our ticket sales overall were at about a third of our predictions with only a few days to go before the opening of the tour. And apart from the further losses we would incur, we were on the verge of giving a less than perfect experience to our audiences as they would sit in half empty halls, lacking the emotion and excitement that a full or nearly full house brings to everyone ? both onstage and in the audience.

So one dark and sleepless night I decided I had to cancel my dream, and perhaps in a small way it was your dream too. For that I am extremely sorry. Maybe there will be another time, when conditions are better, more secure; in which case I will write to all of you with a very special offer.

Thank you for your support.

Jeff Bown
    President and CEO
    Jeff Bown Productions

Oh well, if they do try again and I know about it, I will definitely be on board. :)

16. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    That's even more depressing then not knowing the reason for the cancel. Uhg. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.