main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas' Original Concept-- Palpatine as Anakin's Father

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Noel-Gallagher, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel-Gallagher

Noel-Gallagher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    This is taken from Page 42 of the Making of Revenge of the Sith book, which contains storyline and dialogue from George Lucas' rough draft of the script....

"On Coruscant, PALPATINE completes his seduction of ANAKIN, who at first refuses to go over to the dark side-- until the Chancellor makes a startling confession:"

DARTH SIDIOUS-- "I have waited all these years for you to fulfill your destiny... I arranged for your conception. I used the power of the Force to will the midichlorians to start the cell divisions that created you."

ANAKIN-- "I don't believe you."

DARTH SIDIOUS-- "Ahhh, but you know it's true. When you clear your mind, you will sense the truth. you could almost think of me as your father."

ANAKIN-- "That's impossible!"

DARTH SIDIOUS-- "Nevertheless, you must decide."

Later this dialogue was cut, as you can see if you read on the second column, about halfway down on Page 60. It simply states this there....

"The dialogue indicating that PALPATINE is responsible for ANAKIN'S creation has been cut."

I'm not sure why, but Lucas decided that he didn't want Palpatine to be Anakin's father, as many have been speculating on for months here on the forum. Personally, I think this dialogue should have been kept.

2. jedigrl2001

jedigrl2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2003
    It's too much of a EP. V moment for me, and it rubs me wrong. Besides, Anakin is concieved of the force. If Sidious had concocted it, the force wouldn't have willed it and Anakin wouldn't be the chosen one.

3. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    There are hints of this in the lines about Palpy being able to create life with midichlorians. Though it could go either way.

The cut lines just make it alot more definate.

4. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001
    its just as well that he didnt keep it i think. besides it maybe needing to then be said in the original trilogy, it would parallel the keanu reeves classic "the devil's advocate." and no one wants that

5. CantStandLiberals

CantStandLiberals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    I'll believe this when I see it. Please scan that page.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    This would actually create continuity problems. There is a series of short novels called the Son of Palpatine Series in which it is reaveled that Palpatine has a son and grandson. Lucas probably realized this and dropped this idea for the above stated reason anf becasue SOP is best forgotten anyways.

7. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Its an ollddddddddd idea that was cut from the script before it made it past the first draft.

Just like Dooku ordering the sand people to kil his mom.

Both bullets dodged in my opinion.

8. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

I can see why it was cut.

A small part of me wishes it was still in, another part of me says HELL NO!

9. BobaFan

BobaFan Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2003
    April fools? Seriously, I can't believe no one's posted this yet if it's true.

In case it is true, I'll add it's too familiar. I think a lot people would've been rolling their eyes if that had made it in, and frankly, I probably would've been one of them. Two things I didn't want to see in Episode III: Clone Theory concerning Palpatine (ugh), and another "I am your father" moment.

I can't believe Lucas even considered it to be honest, and without someone backing this up, I don't think I will. I suppose if this does pan out, since this was a rough draft Lucas apparantly realized his error right away.

10. _TYLER_DURDEN_

_TYLER_DURDEN_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2000
    This will probanbly be moved or locked, I posted about a post-EP 6 comment from Lucas in the Making of Revenge of the Sith and it got tossed outta here, not sure why though...

11. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I think it was a bad idea in the first place. What makes Anakin so special is that the midi-chlorians themselves created him, not someone who manipulated them to do so. I'm glad it was cut.

12. lincolnsmithtbp

lincolnsmithtbp Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    Yes, I am sure GL cut it out just because some EU book would disagree with it. EU isn't Star Wars Canon, Lucas doesn't approve those story lines unless they are movie specific and he has even said the novelizations of the films don't matter either in comparison to the films. So whether or not Palpatine is his father won't matter, because it won't be in the movie, and that decision was a story related decision, having nothing to do with some kid's books.

13. ShimSham

ShimSham Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Hasn't this been discussed in almost every thread?

14. Jedi_Interceptor

Jedi_Interceptor Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    I'll believe this when I see it. Please scan that page.

This is really from the Making of book. Lucas dropped the idea. Who knows, maybe it was just a dodge to see if any leaks happened. But it was in the draft.

15. DrVenkman90

DrVenkman90 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2004
    I agree with lincolnsmithtbp.

16. BobaFan

BobaFan Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2003
    This is really from the Making of book. Lucas dropped the idea. Who knows, maybe it was just a dodge to see if any leaks happened. But it was in the draft.

Good to know. In that case I say good for Lucas for realizing this mistake early on in the scripting process.

17. Noel-Gallagher

Noel-Gallagher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Here's the scan if you want to read it for yourself.

[image=http://www.wagonband.com/Page42.jpg]

18. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    EDIT: nevermind.

19. Darth_Bass_Player

Darth_Bass_Player Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Sounds way too much like fanboy drivel. I can't believe he thought of it in the first place.

20. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    I believe you and all, but I'm oh so glad that Lucas didn't include this. It would have ruined the entire saga and the mystery of The Chosen One, IMO.

21. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    At that point, everyone in the audience would walk out and say "Screw this, I saw it back in 1980."

22. cheese_boy

cheese_boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    Absolutely - quite frankly, I'm shocked it even made first draft.

23. CantStandLiberals

CantStandLiberals Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    After seeing this scan, now I know this is completely bogus. That text looks completely superimposed over something else.

And if by any chance it IS real, it was nothing more than a herring put forth by Lucas much like the "Obi-Wan is your father herring" given to Prowse and others during TESB.

24. cheese_boy

cheese_boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    No, it's absolutely real - I've got the book right in front of me.

EDIT: Page 42 of the Making Of Episode III.

25. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    already a hefty thread on this. Right here.

But the mods probably won't see this post and allow this to coninue... :(

THIS IS NOT BOGUS!!!!!! ;)

Here is what I posted on the first thread on this topic Right here.

I would like for us to consider for a moment that GL in fact, does have a surprise for us. How would he do it? How could he possibly pull a fast one on us in this day and age with the internet and all the media that is avaialble for RotS already. We have the complete script already. How could anything get past us???

A surprise scene could get past us if it was originally cut from the movie. We would assume that because it was cut, that it couldn't sneak its way back into the movie at the last minute. I guarantee you that anything is possible. GL could change his mind and alter a scene up until weeks before the movie premeire. The movie is still in flux. Furthermore, a scene could have been deliberately cut with the intention of eventually putting it back.

The theory: Palpatine used the force to create Anakin 10 years before TPM. Palpatine was from Naboo, so he chose a planet near his home planet. He used the Force, and Dark side skills taught to him by Darth Plagueis to manipulate the midi-chlorians to conceive Anakin. Sidious used the Dark Side to create life. Although "many would consider this to be unnatural", it was a perfect way for Palpatine to create a future apprentice that he could manipulate and control and use as a most powerful ally.

It is also possible as a corollary theory that Sidious played Qui-gon and Obi like chess peices in TPM and knew they would go to Tatooine from Naboo. It was the only logical choice. The Force then would guide them to Anakin and he would be discovered. It is also possible that Palpatine just knew that Anakin would eventually be discovered, so he would just wait for that day, and it was just luck that they ended up discovering him during TPM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARGUMENT 1: According to the RotS script, Anakin gives in too easily, this gives Anakin a better reason to switch. Earlier on in the movie when he first finds out that Palps is a Sith Lord, he pulls out his saber and says he should kill him right then and there. Then he goes and rats out his dear friend the Chancellor to Mace. Why then, would he so easily decide to become a Sith?

He would turn this easily if he had proof that Sidious had the power that he claims to have. He claims to know how to use the force to create life. If he created Anakin, then he has the proof that he needs that he can create life. Furthermore, it gives Anakin a deeper connection with Palpatine, and hence it is easier for Anakin to join Palpatine. It is easier for Anakin to join Palps if Palps is responsible for his very existence!

ARGUMENT 2: The "cut scene".

The existence of this cut scene from the script really gives some weight to the possiblity the idea could be reincorporated into the movie. In "The Making of ROTS", there is an excerpt from one of the early drafts of the script:

On Coruscant, PALPATINE completes his seduction of Anakin, who at first refuses to go over to the dark side- until the Chancellor makes a starling confession

SIDIOUS: I have waited all these years for you to fulfill your destiny [. . .] I arranged for your conception. I used the power of the Force to will the midchlorians to start the cell divisions that created you.

ANAKIN: I don't believe you.

SIDIOUS: Ahhh, but you know it's true. When you clear your mind, you will sense the truth. You could almost think of me as your father.

ANAKIN: That's impossible!

SIDIOUS: Nevertheless, you must decide...

pg 46 The Making of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith .

ARGUMENT 3: Provides a nice parallel to ESB

The movie is alread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.