main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucasfilms grand Oscar campaign

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    the PT was probably the single biggest disaster in film history

This is an utterly ludricrous and ridiculous lie. Sorry but I'm not gonna
    mince words. There is not a single fact to back this up. If anyone honestly
    thinks the PT was the biggest bomb in film history then you are completely
    ignorant of film history and have apparently never heard of such true disasters
    as Cleopatra, Hudson Hawk, Heaven's Gate, and the recent remake of Around the
    World in 80 Days. Mars Attacks! anyone?

The PT was not even remotely a disaster. That's some desperate or wishful
    thinking on someone's part. All three films made HUGE profits, sold millions
    and millions of DVDs and VHS copies, and continued to make Lucasfilm the most
    successful independent film company on planet Earth. That means, duh, it wasn't
    a disaster. People can debate the artistic merits all they want to, acting, writing,
    blah, blah, blah, that's fine and that's open for debate. But a disaster in the
    film business is when you spend gargantuan amounts of money creating a movie and
    nobody shows up to buy tickets. Sorry, but that just didn't happen with the PT.
    Look up the stats on Box Office Mojo. They were all big hits, by any reasonable
    definition of the word.

Does money equal quality? (Someone will inevitably bring up that tired old debate.) No, not necessarily. But it does tell you what people want to spend their entertainment dollars on, and by that standard, the PT was a raging success. It sold BILLIONS of dollars worth of tickets. Unlike Serenity. Now THAT was a disaster. I can guarantee you, there won't be a Serenity II and there won't be any Serenity prequels. That's because nobody bought tickets
    to see it. It's box office future is as dead as dead can be. Now THAT'S a disaster.

It would be nice if ROTS could win a couple of technical Oscars.
    But if it doesn't, that's not a disaster.

2. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    seriously JOHNWESLEYDOWNEY the movies you mentioned arent that bad compared to the pt

3. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

4. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I think that maybe he was targetting a new generation for his main audience so that they grew with the films. By the time ROTS comes along the kids that loved TPM are old enough to take the turn. Whether or not he should have targetted the demographic of his older fanbase is another question. I think the older fans would have been happy with the tone of ESB throughout but taken to a more adult level as they are now grown ups themselves (perhaps). Personally I would have prefferd that, and it was always what I envisioned, but that wasn't GL's vision. To be fair he has always said that they really make these films for 12/13 year old kids. Trouble is we all grew up and wanted films for late twenties upwards and we didn't get em. Some of us are happy to enjoy the PT for what they are and some of us can't see past that. It's a shame.

5. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Nominations and awards are great and a lot of fun, but they don't always go to the best, the best does not always win, the best is not always nominated. The decisions being made are not always informed, they are not always accurate, they are not always fair.

Nominations and awards are great and a lot of fun, but they are not necessary for me to recognize and to know that the STAR WARS films are full of excellence and expertise in imagination, execution and end result. :cool:

Congratulations George Lucas, cast, crew and everyone else involved. Your efforts and talents are absolutely appreciated and any and all accolades are absolutely deserved. =D=

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What I want to know is...

How did this thread degenerate from a discussion of "Lucasfilm's grand Oscar campaign" into yet another thread about the economical/artistic success of the prequel trilogy? I'm fed up of seeing this all over the Internet. Every DAMN thread. Every last mother **** one. Shut up. Move on.

7. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    ^^^ What? You mean that you want to actually discuss the chance in hell that ROTS has of snagging an Oscar that is greater than a technical or costume design award? ;)

8. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

You use costuming as a baseline - and it hasn't even been nominated FOR a nomination in that category!

I'm sorry: I feel I can be objective to the point of saying that Revenge of the Sith doesn't quite deserve "Best Picture" or "Best Actor" awards, but when it comes to Trisha Biggar's magnificent work, this is an appalling dismissal. Oscar can shove it.

9. patomon

patomon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    You forgot to mention Ishtar.

10. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    You misunderstand, I apologize for not making myself clear.

I think ROTS will be nominated for Costuming, and feel that it has an excellent chance in this category.

My reference was whether it had any chance in any of the major acting categories (i.e., supporting actor) or whether Lucas had a chance of receiving any recognition himself.

11. leia1964

leia1964 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I hope GL did at least try to push the movie a little for the Academy but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't; plain and simple... he doesn't need them or their gold statue.

Also, this years Oscars will be dominated by movies that made less than $50 million and ranked worse than 60 on the top 100 of 2005; they would be movies like Syriana, Munich, Brokeback Mountain, The Constant Gardener, etc. Hollywood does NOT care about the fact that the general public is the one buying the tickets, therefore what constitutes best picture gets misconstrued in the eyes of the Academy.

I think it's safe to conclude that the Oscars aren't what they used to be and this is why they are consistently falling in ratings each year. People tune in to see the red carpet show then they turn it off because they don't relate to the movies winning the awards. It's mind boggling.

12. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Cryogenic, I see what you mean, but unfortunately, that is the current state of SW fandom. Some people love all the films, some people don't. That is the situation, depressing as it may seem. On the other hand, if each and every one of us that posts here doesn't love SW in some way, shape or form, then we wouldn't be here, so it's not so bad really.

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    agree with leia1964 100% -
    the most blatant omission of trisha's work never even being nominated is irrefutable evidence that hollywood can not assess what is the best of the best of anything with the lucas name attached to it. complete political bias, prejudice and stupidity. and they wonder why we don't care about oscars any longer. never watch them. but i used to.

george was on target - a bull's eye actually - with his speech at the people's choice awards.

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    No - you misunderstand.

Have you not visited the official Star Wars website? Revenge of the Sith has been forwarded for nomination in the following three catgeories: Achievement in Makeup, Achievement in Sound Editing and Achievement in Visual Effects. Those are the ONLY awards it is eligible for nomination and potential recognition in. Trisha Biggar and her fantastic work is already out of the running. Read this for more:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/publicity/news20060111.html

EDIT: No, wait. Am I not with all the facts here? Do some categories get selected for nomination LATER? Has Trish still got a chance?

15. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    Your edit is correct. Not all award nomination categories have been released yet. There is hope...

16. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    at least the costume guild has a clue:

Costume Guild reveals noms
    January 11, 2006

The Costume Designers Guild has tapped 15 feature film nominees in three categories, with winners to be announced at its eighth annual awards gala Feb. 25 at the Beverly Hilton.
    Louise Frogley copped two noms, for Warner's "Syriana" in the contemporary category and for Warner Independendent's "Good Night, and Good Luck" in the period category.

Fantasy film noms went to Lindy Hemming for Warner's "Batman Begins," Gabriella Pescucci for Warner's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," Isis Mussenden for Disney/Walden's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," Nina Proctor for Dimension's "Sin City" and Trisha Beggar for Fox's "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith."

17. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Congratulations Trisha Biggar! =D=

18. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Please don't tell me you were surprised when ROTK won BP. I saw it happening when Two Towers got nominated for BP in 2003.

19. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    And ROTS will not be able to stand the power of King Kong in the technical fields.

I don't look for Ian to get nominated due to his funny faces and acting toward the middle of the film.

20. logray_is_a_quack

logray_is_a_quack Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    The fact remains, the oscars are a crock - I mean, 11 awards for Return of the King. Give me a break!!! Besides, GL don't need no steeenking statues...I think the fact that there are so many wonderful people here, venting their spleens as to how much they love his "pet project" speaks volumes. If you need further proof, just refer back to his acceptance speech for ROTS winning the people's choice award:

"I'm not a big favorite with the critics, but who listens to them? I'm not a big industry favorite either, but of course they are a bunch of studio executives. The most important people for any filmmaker, the reason that I make films, is for you! The audience rules! Thank you. Thank you very much!"

See, the big man knows!!!! Academy awards doth not an utterly fantastic film franchise make. :D

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I always find it hilarious when the Academy Awards and other such institutions are downplayed when they don't vote the way some fans feel they should.

[face_laugh]

22. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    It goes on in all fan circles for any film series, I think, loco. But the Academy is a very political organisation that doesn't always give credit where it's due. It's not a cut and dry case of pure zealotry.

23. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Oh, I don't put favoritism past the Academy, that's for sure, but I just find the lengths some fans will go to funny, like lashing out at the Academy and tearing down successful franchises and filmmakers, like Peter Jackson and Return of the King.

24. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh tell me! Is that anything like fans tearing down successful franchises and filmmakers, like George Lucas and Star Wars??? Hhhhmmmmm...........

25. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Not really, no, since most of the attacks at Jackson and Lord of the Rings are meant to bring down an accomplished competitor to bring up the latest entries into the Star Wars saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.