main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucasfilms grand Oscar campaign

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logray_is_a_quack

logray_is_a_quack Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2006
    The reason I say that ROTK winning 11 oscars is ridiculous is not because I dislike Jackson (he's a fellow Kiwi for goodness sake - so so proud[face_dancing]), nor feel jealous that the acadamy has overlooked GL and co. (they've won a few, and besides, the fans are the reason GL is in the game). What I think is ridiculous is that they lavished so much upon the final installment as recompense for the other two films being "snubbed". That, my friends, is not how oscars should be dished out. It should be on the merits of a stand alone film. If anyone thinks that ROTK was the greatest film of that year, then I am truly sorry for those poor, misguided souls. It was almost like (gulp) sympathy statuettes...times eleven!!!! In a similar vein, ROTS should not even be considered for any of the big trophies (acting, actressing, directoring - by the way, I know that those aren't the correct terms)because, lets face it, can anyone say ham? And the dialogue aint that flash either (but thats why Ilove these flicks). But by all means, give a nd for fx, sound editing, costuming, and as someone has previously mooted, a lifetime achievement award for the plaided wonder:)

2. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Loco:

It wasn't PT fans that started the PT/LOTR debates. No, it was those that didn't care for the PT that used LOTR to say "see, this is how Lucas should have done it."

3. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

Well, I don't think you are looking at your SW history and the oscars. The original SW was nominated for 10 Awards in 1977, and received 7 that night. It only won the special effects and editing awards, but at that time no other SciFi up to 1977 had been nominated for the big categories like SW that year: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Alec Guiness). It was nominated for them that year cause it was a great movie, and whatever you want to say about the other 5 sequels, the movie that is always in the top lists of classic movies is the original.

Now you must remember about sequels, they rarely win or even get nominated for the oscars. Godfather II & ROTK are the only two sequels to win best picture, the academy just doesn't nominate sequels for some reason, they feel they have had a leg up on new movies cause they are living off its predecessor. The difference for Lord of the Rings is, they knew all 3 movies were coming out in 2001, 2002, 2003, and decided if one were to win an award, it would be the last movie, if it were good enough, that is why ROTK won the slew of the awards that first two didn't.

Check your facts, the original SW won 7 Academy Awards that night, Lucas got credit for that movie, so I don't want to hear the academy hates Lucas when he knows most sequels of a series never ever get nominated after the original.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You conveniently left out the fact that Lucas broke away from Hollywood and the Guild once TESB was in the can. I definitely think, as do many other fans, that there's been some mutual dislike between the two since then. That's point number one. The second point is that Star Wars is comprised of no less than six films - three of which came along sixteen years and a whole generation after the first set. They deserved a fresh look-in by the Academy. Lastly, the Academy didn't stockpile all of its Oscars for LotR's final installment - it bestowed several on Fellowship and The Two Towers. Moreover, it was earlier said (and is also implied in your post) that the musical scores to sequels do not warrant further recognition if an earlier film has already been decorated - yet Fellowship and Return of the King BOTH won for "Best Original Score". That Attack of the Clones, and The Phantom Menace especially, didn't win a single award is appalling. But what's done is done. It isn't the first mistake or deliberate snub by the Academy - and it certainly won't be the last.

5. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

6. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    You are right about one thing - a faction of the fan base is definitely revolting...

;)

7. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

And your point is.................?

I was using it in the context of why Lucas now says that everyone hates him including the critics, and you answered my response with sarcasm and no substance. If you countered my point and told me why you disagree with me and think I'm wrong, I would respect that, but the nice one line answers, BORRRRRRRRRINNNNNNG!

8. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    I guess I did.
    It was just a joke.
    Remember - "ha ha ha", and all that.

Hey, who says I disagree.
    Like I said - it was just a little joke.

You have my sincerest apologies.
    I'll try again...

:)

9. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    "It wasn't PT fans that started the PT/LOTR debates. No, it was those that didn't care for the PT that used LOTR to say "see, this is how Lucas should have done it." "

Well I came across several SW fans in 2001, long before FOTR had even opened, that were saying how bad the LOTR films were going ot flop, that PJ were a hack and nothing compared to the master Lucas and calling anyone that liked the books or were looking forward to the films a large variety of insults.

But regardless of who started it, I find it silly and not very constructive tearing down one movie or sets of movies just to push up another.

Regards
    Nordom

10. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    The Academy is swings and roundabouts.
    I wouldn't like to say what is an "Academy"-type movie - I mean could you say what is going to win each category this year?
    Sometimes it is easy to predict, sometimes it is not.
    The French Connection, Annie Hall, The Appartment, Midnight Cowboy and The Sting are relatively left-field winners in my opinion.
    Whereas stuff like Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The Graduate and a whole host of other movies looked like dead-certs but were cruelly overlooked in their respective years for lesser movies.

I don't feel the original Star Wars was overlooked in any way. Annie Hall is an amazing film - it was as innovative in it's own way as Lucas' movie was.
    Empire would have been up against Raging Bull, The Elephant Man and Ordinary People even if it had been nominated.

But then, personally, I don't read much into the Oscars - it's nice to see people who deserve them winning, but generally it is a day for industry back-slapping.
    It very rarely seizes the zeitgeist.
    And the ceremony itself has become witless and tedious.
    If you look at the string of best picture winners through the 80s - that was the absolute nadir, barring perhaps Platoon.
    Pure Saccharine.
    At least the odd American Beauty slips in every now and again these days.

See, I don't really lump SW in with those other movies.
    I wouldn't really compare them with SW.

Heh - I thought both films were pretty trite.
    I dunno - who is saying that the Academy hates those directors?
    Lucas' best shot a bagging best picture was probably American Graffiti, then maybe Star Wars.
    I don't think any of his other work has been in with a shout of being nominated for Best Picture...
    ...but then I would have said the same about LOTR:ROTK.
    I can see your Braveheart comparison, but there is another cloying movie.
    I just don't like to second guess the Academy, because there were better films than Jackson's that year.

Fair enough.
    I do prefer Godfather II to I.
    And TESB to ANH.
    But, yeah, point taken - it is usually the original which taps into the collective consciousness, regardless of how the sequels stand on their own merit.

Guess I'll have to read back through this thread to see what you are referring to from hereon in...

But basically, I love the prequels and the originals.
    If LOTR can sweep the board, then ROTS certainly deserves a few awards.
    And I think Lucas cut himself off from the industry as much as they have cut him off.
    But his comments are valid - he's not just talking about awards, he is talking about his entire experience of the system... recognition is not just about statuettes.

11. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

12. logray_is_a_quack

Jan 13, 2006
    Um, where did I actually say "The academy hates Lucas?"...Maybe YOU should check your facts CJedi72. And I am well aware of the OT's successes...this was more a riposte to those who are going to feel aggreived when ROTS gets majorly overlooked at the ceremony.

13. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    trisha biggar - never even nominated -
    the amazing ILM work - passed over for what?
    john williams.... geisha is better than RotS???

peter jackson was rewarded for making 3 movies simultaneously over several years. i don't begrudge that but i don't think RotK was the best movie of the year.

george lucas takes 6 films through the incredible journey that is chronologically jumbled yet in retrospect is the perfect order for this saga's story...... over decades. and not worthy of even a whisper of a mention of a golden globe or BAFTA? rotten in denmark, something is.

but here is where i don't believe george....i don't believe that the people's choice is the most important recognition to him. i think he would be incredbily grateful for some sort of recogniton of a job well-done by his peers in the movie industry.

finally.

14. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    if lucas doesnt care about awards then why should we? and what was better than rotk that year?

15. TopSpeeD

TopSpeeD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    ROTK was boring

I hate those LOTR/SW discussions..don't let this thread become one..tough i think i'm a little late on that..

16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    If you want to do the SW/LOTR comparison, compare Lucas to Tolkien, not to Jackson. Lucas and Tolkien are the creators of their stories. Jackson isn't, and usually does his best work with adaptations.

They're different types of filmmaking.

17. logray_is_a_quack

Jan 13, 2006
  18. logray_is_a_quack

Jan 13, 2006
    Here, here TopSpeeD...theres no point in comparing the two franchises.

19. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    i wasnt comparing lotr to star wars, but to what was released as nominees in 2003 for best picture oscar. and i would pick rotk over any of them.

20. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Lost in Translation, 21 Grams, City of God, Mystic River and Whale Rider were ALL better films than ROTK, in my opinion.
    In fact, if I'm honest, I enjoyed Big Fish more than ROTK too.

But this is getting way off topic, I only brought up ROTK to make a simple point - From my perspective (it may not be one you share) when ROTK won as many Oscars as it did, and in particular Best Director and Picture, it made me wonder how the hell the Academy works these days.
    ...Or if it does at all.
    And it gave me hope that one day even ROTS may bag a few... because if ROTK can, then ROTS bloody well can do too...

21. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    as a sci fi fantasy fan im happy as hell rotk won. like spielberg said at the time, those awards really made up for the fact that star wars and indiana jones lost at the oscars for best picture. that really put into perspective for me

22. bigdog747x

bigdog747x Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Well ROTS got nominated, in best make up category. It got snubed in visual category!

23. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    two words, proof positive that hollywood scorns all things lucas:
    trisha biggar...

never .... even.......... nominated.

defend that

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm stunned by a total lack of recognition for sound design. Not many people seem to be talking about that one - but it's easily as big an injustice as no nominations for visual effects or costuming.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well at least we know that star wars will be good in books and comic books. Video games didn't do too bad last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.