main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would describe TFN as full of Jedi-Sith fanboys. Many seem to believe that Jedi and Sith should be the only factions that truly matter.

Anyway, as for the title of this thread, how about Death Watch being lead by Post Vizsla?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Much of the fandom is full of Jedi/Sith fans (heck even a game like SW Galaxies was pressured into including a Jedi class despite being set between Episodes IV & V when Luke & Yoda were the only Jedi around, but the fans wanted lightsabers and the Force so what can you do?)

I'd be happy if Boba was the leader, but he may not feature at all.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Hmmmm. I wouldn't be distraught over Mandalorians playing a role, but they would probably be one of my last options. I never really grasped the hype factor of Mandalorians, especially when you take into account there history strictly from the previous films.

1. You have Jango who frankly just incompetently flies his jetpack right into the middle of a warzone to do close rang combat with one of the most famous warrior Jedi in the galaxy in the idle of a warzone where crazy animals are going on a rampage. Then, when he has a perfect opening against good old mace by catching him with his lightsaber down he shoots him straight in the face!... Oh wait.. No.. He foolishly tried to grab his lightsaber that is already ridiculously out of his gasp.

2. Jango's good old son talks a mean game, but notice he never actually pulls off a single kill.... Ever.... He ends up getting owned by a bind guy by falling into a pit with a jetpack that as far as we know was still operational. He essentially died because he was incapable of using his own armor. The only reason why people felt he was awesome was because he wore really cool armor, and was stupid enough to talk back at Vader.

As you can see I don't have much love for the Mandos. EU renditions of them are far worse in my opinion. They seem to go over the top to make up for the fact that for cool looking dudes they seem utterly incompetent in the movies. However, I could see them being beneficial on a couple of terms.

1. Give them variety like the God send of the Clone Wars series did. I actually liked that they made a pacifist section because it just made sense. It always seemed silly to me that an entire world of an entire race were also like minded on war and pillaging. It just seemed unrealistic to me.

2. They need to be pawns. I don't see a Mandalorian leader being an adequate main villain. They don't seem to be that great at governing what they conquer, and thus lose grasp of what they control rather quickly.

All the same, I still would not be torn up if they went this route. They would just have a big uphill battle to convince me that it will work.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I respected Jango until he inexplicably made that stupid dive to try to get Mace's lightsaber. If he had just started shooting at Mace then, at least he would have had a chance at hitting him until Mace could pick up his lightsaber with the Force and start blocking the blasts.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope to see some Mandos walking around in the ST.

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i wanna see lots of Fetts (us) both Boba and Jango were both way underused in the movies - rocket packs seem to be popular in the fantasy genre at the moment thanks to Downey Juniour.... then one getting Han in the end!

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    EU aside, there's nothing stating that the Fetts are Mandalorians. The Fetts could just be Bounty Hunters who wear Mando-style armor.

Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    us movie only fans just know the Fetts as the original blue print for storm troopers - good enough for this Fett :)

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I always facepalm when he does that. Seriously, just shoot him!

eht13 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It is worth nothing that Boba is not a Mandalorian, he only wears the armour he was given by one. And Jango himself comes from Concord Dawn, not Mandalore.

Yeah that was weird, I mean Jango has magna-gauntlets which he could have used to pull the saber to him Jedi-style but he didn't do that. Imagine the look on Mace's face if Jango made the saber fly into his hand, he'd be like "WTF!?"

The Hellhammer and eht13 like this.
  11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Considering that the thread about what planets you want to see... I listed Mandalore... HELL YES! Not just one Mandalorian, let us see Manalorian society!

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, it seems to me that at least, in G-canon and T-canon, the Mandalorians as represented by the Fetts and the Death Watch just don't seem to be as tough as they are described as being. At least the EU rectified this. TBH it seems both Fetts and the Mandalorian leaders in TCW get handed the Idiot Ball in their onscreen appearances, ultimately leading to their demise: Jango insisted on going in close to Mace Windu, getting decapitated for his trouble; Boba gets knocked into the Sarlacc pit by a blind Han Solo, not even using his jetpack to try to escape; Pre Vizsla insisted on imprisoning Maul and Savage rather than executing them, eventually leading to his Honor Before Reason duel with the former Sith Lord and culminating in his demise; and even the Duchess Satine was so unwilling to compromise her pacifistic principles that she willingly surrendered the planet to the Death Watch after losing the support of her people (for good reason!), and ultimately got used as bait by Maul and unceremoniously killed off.

There is a rather inconsistent portrayal of Mandalorians throughout the SW universe, ranging from Traviss' super Mandos who have the habit of making Jedi look bad to the pathetically weak Death Watch grunts of TCW, who seem to die too easily to blaster fire. I think the best representation would be somewhere in between.

Note: I always thought that Mandalorian jetpacks were only good for about a minute of continuous flight? It seemed the Death Watch were able to fly for longer than that continuously in TCW. Ah, the inconsistencies...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I always thought they should be continuous flight, personally. I like that they overwrote the 60-second timer. That's not a jetpack, that's a jump pack. Jetpacks should be able to take you where you need to go fast, not take 60 seconds, a cooldown, and then another 60, and so on.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Being a Mary Sue/Marty Stu isn't about abilities. It's about being always being right, being basically indomitable, having the apparent badassery of the Sue being shoved down the audience's throat, etc.

Uh, dude, Jedi and Sith can and have gotten killed or beaten by non-Force-users. I'm not sure what universe you're talking about, but it's not Star Wars. If the Mandalorians are going to be in the new trilogy, they must be badass without being Mando Sues(like what Karen Traviss did to them).

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sounds like Jedi to me in most EU stories. Biggest offender: clone wars comics.

16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    And therefore we should do the same thing with the Mandalorians(again?) Also, which clone wars comics are you talking about?

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The entire Republic and later clone wars comics series? All non-force users I remember were either useless or corrupt.

And no, I am not saying the same should happen with the Mandalorians. If they are capable of defeating a Jedi in one against one battle that wouldn't make them Sues, however. It would take the Jedi down a notch which is desperately needed right now.

18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I concur that Mandos should be able kill Jedi but I think it would be best if they worked together in order to achieve that goal. Mandos have the benefit of numbers on their side and there are probably less Jedi in the sequel era than there are in the prequel era. If the trilogy could bring in the Mandos from TCW and KOTOR, I'll be very happy. Just no Mando Sues.

Also, Beskar is just lightsaber kryptonite. It shouldn't be included.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, I think a special trained Mando (not common soldier) should be able to get the drop on a real Jedi simply because of excellent tech and training. Otherwise they'd hardly appear threatening. As much as I love the OT, the storm troopers leave much to be desired.
    I don't want the Jedi to be unbeatable in one on one fights.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's far from the first. Those energy staffs the Magnaguards use in RoTS - the reason they can use them against Jedi without risking them being chopped in half- is that they're made of a lightsaber-resistant alloy- called phrik in this case.

And before that, there was cortosis- which, while fragile and crumbly in its raw state, doesn't just resist lightsabers- but causes them to shut down.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed.
    If you want Mandos to be badass, having some kill Jedi is a great way to go. If people are unhappy with that because Jedi have to be unbeatable then this can be the reality check they need.

But you wouldn't make armour out of Cortosis because it isn't tough enough, Beskar is the toughest stuff around.
    Lightsaber-resistant metal is fine for weapons but if you still die from blaster fire or a detonator it's rather pointless, Beskar takes the saber blow and also withstands everything else.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Darth Bane books- cortosis ore is mined for Republic armour. It may be alloyed with other things, rather than the pure stuff.

It's also characterized as exceedingly hard, from the point of view of the miners- rapidly blunting drill bits. Still, hard things can be brittle- diamond, for example, can be fractured.

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I resisted, but 6 pages in....

Why do we need Mandolorians?

Just cuz peeps think Boba's armour is cool? (Remember folks, he was born on Kamino, he's not a Mandolorian).

And let's face it, the reason Jango was put in AotC was fan service. Any bounty hunter would have sufficed.

If there is to be a warrior race, why does it have to be Mandolorian?

Just asking :)

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't have to be born on Mandalore- being raised in "The Mandalorian Way" (or at least, Jango's conception of it) may be enough.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Cause it ties in with the movies. People will note the connection of Boba and Jango with them.