main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Mara Jade costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    OK so I have the new charater book, and the pic of Mara Jade is in a blue body suit, much like her black one, but with out the cape, and shin guards...

I have been told that it is in fact the black outfit (cat suit) but it was drawn blue, to add color to the book.

My question for the all knowing great people of this board is..

If I was to go to say dragon con, dressed as Mara Jade, but in the blue body suit from the new character book, would that been fine.

Or would i be looked down upon, as being an idiot that didn't know my stuff...

or since it's the expanded universe, would it be ok..?

*I just don't want to look like an idiot at cons*

thanks in advance for the help

-cami

2. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I believe as long as the costume is recognizable as Mara Jade, despite color variation, it should be fine.

Often, black is given blue-cast in artwork to give definition, after all: coloring it completely black, you lose a lot of detail. A great example of this is Superman's hair in the comics...lots of blue highlights.

In costuming, liberties and interpretations can certainly be taken. I doubt anyone will give you any grief over the blue/black issue. Go for it, and best of luck.

~Kai Rhann

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Cami :)
    I agree with Kai-Rhann that if it's recognizable as Mara it should be fine.
    My first inclination is to tell you to go for it if you like it in blue. I don't think anyone is going to give you a hard time over it. In fact, some people will probably appreciate the variation.

4. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine. And if someone is being an idiot about it, I'm sure that you could argue that it's blue, I mean after all it looks blue in the character guide.

Forcebewitya!

5. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    nah actully it's not that kinda blue. i'll post a link to the pic. But thanks for everything. Now i won't feel like a jerk at cons :)

6. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.cswu.cz/characters/img/char/mara_jade/mara_tnegtc.jpg

just copy and paste that and it should work

7. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    I will say that the black leather is the most recognizable costume of Mara's, but it's certainly not her only one. I looked through my copy of the NEGtC and noticed several characters sporting black leather boots and other costume pieces. I'm sure if the artist wanted to he could have easily colored her in black without losing too much detail. Plus as you noted it is missing the shin guards, so you could classify it as a different costume altogether.
    I think it'd be cool to have a different Mara costume. I say go with it, especially if you prefer blue to black.

8. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah i think i am ...i think it would be interesting to see if as a real life costume. and challenging for myself, working with a streach spandex farbric.

*plus i'm using it as a way to encourage myself to get in shape :)

9. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    heheh, the colour her hair is in that is closer to what it is decribed as as well;)

I made a green tunic based on much of the artwork of her from when she is Mara Jade Skywalker;) So she's lightside... but my green is more bottle green than the main artwork I'm goig from.

I doubt I'll over dye as the colour suits me so well, and the shape is recognisable.

My shape isn't recognisable as Mara's though;) One is losing weight and hopefully eventually one will be able to pull the costume off;)

My green mara tunic

So I reckon you could easily get away with the blue, I mean unless she is absolutely bathed in light and the contrast turned down a bit...;) I always looked at it as a different artists interpretation. Not a slavish recreation of a famous costume. He altered it to suit his needs for the book, and for his own artistic creativity.

Why not follow that:)

10. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I like the green tunic :D

And Zahn told me that I had the hair color right when I went in costume to his booksigning--strawberry blonde. :D I was quite happy.

11. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    heh you could take a look at the first jedi knight game expasion...i cant remember the name..but you played mara jade in it..i kinda liked that costume they had her in :)

12. Angelariel

Angelariel Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2003
    Is this the one Jaareth, from SW:Masters of Teras Kasi?

http://home.comcast.net/~cobbaa/amckissenmotsmara.jpg

This is one of my own personal choice for favorite MJ costume. It's on the want-to-do list...which seems to be growing out of control.

13. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah I like that one too, it reminds me of solo...lol..

I'm still feeling kinda if-y on doing the blue new character guide one...

or if i should go for a more reconizable one...

if I did *the one above* I would be scared i did it wrong and people would think i was laura croft...haha

but it is one of my favorites

14. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Don't feel bad about people not recognizing you.

I did the normal black outfit.

I can count on my fingers how many people recognized me last year at DragonCon. Most only figured I was some random Jedi as I was holding a lightsaber. ;)

Do the costume the way you want it and is flattering on you; forget who is going to figure it out. :)

15. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    yea thats the one..they used it in expansion for the first dark forces:jedi knight..it was a few small levels where she rescued kyle from the darkside....i always thought that was her best look. :) as for yours crimson...WOW <OO> you could make me a fan of that outfit in short order :) <snicker>

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Do the costume the way you want it and is flattering on you; forget who is going to figure it out.

That is great advice, Crimson. :D

17. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah crimson,
    your's is awesome I saw it when i went to your site from the diamond dogs.

I don't know..all i know is that i did 2 hours of arobics, and 1 hour running/walking. and various situps and crunches and leg lifts,...to get in shape..

so gosh darn it i'm gonna be fit at dragon con..

so if you guys see a blue mara jade, it's me...you'll notice me by the electric orange hair ..lol..

I'm sure my decision will come down to cost. on what supplies are cheap for either costume

18. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    There is also her outfit from the Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight expansion Mysteries of the Sith.

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Neimhaille: That tunic is great! Did you use a pattern and, if so, which one? I'm making Barriss right now, but the VOTF cover Mara costume is next on my to-do list. So far, I only have Luke's TESB lightsaber hilt. [face_blush]

Jade-Walker: And Zahn told me that I had the hair color right when I went in costume to his booksigning--strawberry blonde. I was quite happy.

[Zahn & Mara fangirl]
    Oh wow - I think I would've fainted, LOL! I've always thought that her hair is colored too dark in most pics, considering that it is described as red-gold.
    [/Zahn & Mara fangirl]

20. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Jade-Walker (at least I hope it was for my actual recreation not the artwork;) There were not links to the art work see..;) )

Thanks Jedi Stace:)

Actually I drafted my own pattern, and it took a bit of working out. It's not quite a princess seamed tunic, the seams are just gently curved rather than over the bust and curved to fit to the bust.
    The flare at the hem took a long time to get right, well about 4 fittings;) I like to get these things off the bat;)

The sleeve to armscye seam is quite a lot shallower than modern patterns as it allows for more arm movement;)

And I found my leather;) So I may have a go at stamping it and cutting it to make the shoulder guards. Then it's just the pouch.. I have a solid leather bag from the 70s which would be perfect... except for the pretty stamped design and the short strap;)

Cami: I have but 5 weeks to trim down to wear a costume;) And I can't do weight training. I have just a small hand weight (used for walking, so you know it's light;) ) to add a bit of resistance to some upper back exercises;)

I think you'll be fine for D*C.

Sigh, wish I could swish it up with you guys at the Rougie evening... I'd bring the Black Diamonds, my mara Jade tunic and accroutments and... hmmmmm... something else. Not sure.

Hey, it might happen;)

Oh yeah and neenerneenerneener.. my hair is the right colour...oh wait. It's much too long;) No way I'm snipping it off though;) Even if I have been sorely tempted lately;)

21. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    oh I didn't know you were on diamond dogs too..

about the losing weight thing. I'm do streaching, little weights, tread mill, my ab work out (25 crunches ,25 left side crunches, 25 right side crunches, 15 leg lifts)...

then i'm just doing dance routines sweating my butt off, and that is just in the morning. I eat dinner by 6pm, and then do it all again at night.

See I used to be skinny, (size 4) when i danced, haven't danced in years, and over time i have become less active. So everything is catching up with me..

so i have like 50 pounds to lose between now and dragon con..lol..

i'm keeping my fingers crossed..lol..

22. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    So long as you are doing it sensibly, though with discipline, I don't see the problem:) Having a goal is very very important. It's what's making my current regime worthwhile;)

I'm not sure you know about my medical issues, but needless to say being long term on prednisone and not being able to do too much physically (I walked to the mall yesterday and am in pain now...) so it's really tough to actually get the amount of work needed to work off what I eat. But upping the veges and lowing the simple sugars (biscuits, mueslie bars) and high calorie foods is helping in that as well;)

Hehehehe, If I was going through a flare my metabolism would be so high it's all drop off with no effort;)

I tried my Mara jade tunic on again, it looks a bit better. I may be wearing it at Armageddon on another day to the Cosplay contest;)

23. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Cami, go for the color-variation in blue. :) I'm actually rather fond of that picture, because it's *not* her typical black outfit (not that it's a bad looking outfit, but yeah, it's her most popular), and it seems very adventerous-Mara to me. I mean, why would she give up her style just because she went light-side? ;)

My personal opinion, of course. :D

24. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    yeah i am going to do the blue one. those, even if they are star wars fans, who don't get it..oh well...every one here on the thread will know it..lol..

thanks everyone for their opinons

25. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    I have seen the back of her costume once, and I swear there was something. She didn't have her cloak on.

But I can't recall as the I saw it ages ago.

http://pluto.spaceports.com/~lms/mj2c4.html
    That shows something.
    Though the straps can't be seen anyway...
    Ahah!
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/2149/mara/pictures.html
    the first image on the bottom row.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/2149/mara/quad.jpg click and drag this to the address bar, it will work that way, or you can wait for all the images to load in the pictures pages of the site. But they are not thumbnails so may make the site go offline due to exceeding bandwidth;)
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/2149/mara/argh.jpg likewise.

The straps look like they were inspired by racing car seat belt things. Except reversed (so they are on the back) and not really serving any function;)

Maybe it's for posture;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.