main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Mesa Back!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    There was a guy working at the radio station last year, who I saw wearing a Yoda t-shirt a few times.

I've got a Darth Vader t-shirt . . . it's quite a nice one from when he was in the carbon freeze chamber, so his mask has that orange tint. I use it as a night-shirt though, you'd never see me in public with it. Oh wait, I think I wore it to one of the SE releases, but under a sweatshirt :)

re dirt poor students: Knowing the tips and tricks can help stretch that budget. My number one piece of advice would be to make your own lunch. Buying cafeteria or fast food everyday will burn that money away. It's a lot cheaper just to buy some cut bread and make yourself some sandwiches. Also, you don't need to buy all the textbooks. Talk to students who have done the papers to find out if you need it or not. Unless you're continuing with the subject, it's usually unnecessary, and you can just photocopy anything you really need in the library.

e: Oh, and definitely get a community services card. You can get cheap movie tickets, among other things.

2. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Yep.

I bought almost ALL the books the first year and never even opened them. I didn't bother buying any of the books the following years. :)

Than again, I did mainly computer courses, so we already knew more than the lecturers. :D

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    , and definitely get a community services card. You can get cheap movie tickets, among other things.

Good call - though you can usually get the same discount at the movies with your student ID.

4. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Kitt: my bro told me the "Budgies" stink! [face_laugh] Is that true? :D

jp: Nope you can't do that, not if you're a tertiary student. You can get movie tickets for $6.50 with the Com Service Card on weekdays before five, after five and on weekends, it costs $12. [face_shocked] Now, student prices, $9 for weekdays before five, $10 after. Weekends $10 for secondary students, $12 for tertiary. That's the Village cinemas' prices.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nope you can't do that, not if you're a tertiary student.

Geez. That sucks. Next you'll be telling me McD's doesn't give free fries with student ID any more.

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I can't say I've ever been desperate enough to eat one of the budgie meals. They do have a reputation for being disgusting though. I think you have to be a member of AUSA to get the full discount, which I wouldn't join if I was paid to do so.

I have sometimes been able to get the student discount at the movies with my tertiary card. Depends on the place, most probably. On weekends it makes no difference anyway. But that community services card is great if you have no lectures in the afternoon, and just want to chill and catch a movie.

7. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    AUSA's free this year. I suppose there's no harm in joining. :) At least I'll have the wall calendar.

I enrolled to late and have long gaps between two lectures on some days. Going to the movies seems like an excellent idea. :)

8. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I've just got one Maths class from 10-11am tomorrow, in the Engineering block. I bet by the second week I'll be skipping that class and enjoying a three day weekend. :)

BTW, don't worry about jumping streams. They only get fussy if you go to a different stream if the class is really really packed. And it pays to go early for the first lecture, because that's when everyone goes, and people seem to love to sit on the end of the row so you have to climb over them to get to the middle.

9. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Just like the movies huh? :D Oh wait, people alway sit in the middle at the movies. [face_plain]

Can I realy "jump streams"? They won't notice or anything? :confused: The least classes I've got in one day is three :( so I can't afford to have a three day weekend I guess. :_|

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    You can mix and match most lectures (not labs though!! They know who you are.), but you need to be careful to not jump around too much since lectures can get out of sync and you might miss something (especially if taken by diferent lecturers).

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I wouldn't have survived my first year without stream jumping. :D It's important to find a lecturer you can understand. Although, in the Bio department, it's quite good, because pretty much everything you need to know is in the course guide and textbook.

I guess I have to say goodbye to my stream hopping days now, with these darn stage 3/2 papers.

12. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    I can't be bothered to chech out other streams times--they might clash with my own.

Got the course guides for BIOSCI 101 and 170--man they're BIG! [face_shocked]

Kitt: I might have seen you this morning. :D I had Chem 110 today from 9-10, and I came out and saw the Engineering block right across the road. :D So if you see a girl waering a T with this, [image=http://home.thirdage.com/Art/daath666/DarthVader_TheDarkLordOfTheSheep.jpg] she might be me. :D

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    You're taking Chem? You have my sympathy. I hated chem with a passion at high school, and refused to take it at uni. So much boring memorisation.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there at 10. There was a bomb scare in central manurewa, so all the buses were diverted. I arrived outside my class at about 10:15am. It was a small lecture theatre, which only had front doors, so absolutely everyone would have seen me if I had come in late, and I would have been forever branded as that girl who arrived late on the first day.

So the semester has just started, and already I have skipped a class. Ah well. Met up with some mates instead, then checked out the library renovations. Then I got sick of people trying to recruit me into this, that and the other thing, so I went off shopping :) Retail therapy, in the true double X chromosome style. Picked up the last Vader/Obi-Wan 25th anniversary pack at the Warehouse.

Oh, and no one told me there was an Episode 2 billboard up on Symonds Street! Something to enjoy everyday as I commute home.

e: hey, that pic is cool! :D Just imagine all the people staring at it thinking 'hey, I don't remember there being sheep in Star Wars!'

14. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I only did Stage I Chemistry because I had to have four different subjects for a BSc - I hated every minute. :(

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Stage 1 Organic Chem is fine. Inorganic gets a bit -=bleh=-

16. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    screw you guys. :(

I'm doing Chem. I don't want to do Chem. You are not making me want to do it any more! I'm taking it only because:

1/ Every-freeking-thing else clashed
    2/ It leads to Toxicology which may be semiuseful.

[face_plain]

17. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Kitt: That billboard has been there forever!It first started as just the image, then the words are added but not all at once. I don't know when they're gonna put "Attack of the Clones" on. I hope they come up with different ones or I might even get sick of having to look at that everyday. I looked at it four time yesterday because I went home between my lectures.

Save your sympathy for me next semester, I'm taking Physics! :_| Why must they torture me~~ :(

The girls at Shaving Habits are working on the tshirt. If it's possible I'll get them to send one to me. :D

SithForceLord: LOL! [face_laugh] Indeed. I'm doing Chem because they made me. :(

One last thing: Why is the BIOSCI 107 lecture/lab so unbelievably boring? :confused:

And another :confused:

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    All lectures are boring. Even those ones which seem mildly interesting during the first few days soon descend into utter mind-numbing boredom.

Although I just discovered there's a paper at Auckland devoted entirely to studying Lord of the Rings. Might interest some people on this board :)

Now if only there was a Star Wars paper ...

Anyway, these might help.

Kitt's tips for surviving boring lectures (and yes, these are personal examples):

1. Click your pen.

2. Drum your fingers.

3. Sleep (Especially when they turn out all the lights)

4. Sketch the lecturer, or other students.

5. Catch up on your assignments.

6. Txt people.

7. Listen to your walkman. (I've only done this once. In a Physics lecture.)

8. Read a novel, or Star Wars fanfiction printed off the net.

9. Take up writing Star Wars fanfiction. (This was how I survived my second year.)

10. Sit in the lecturers face. You know the seat I'm talking about. Everything is so large and loud it's impossible to be bored.

19. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Curses!! all this education and still no ones developing a real lightsabre!!
    C'mon people the way to real immortality is to be forever known as the person that invented the lightsabre! :)

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    *COUGH* George Lucas *COUGH*

?[face_plain] Graal? you okeday today? ?[face_plain]

:p ;) :D

Na, but seriously - JP showed me a few links about 5 or 6 months ago that people had made light stop, hence a lightsaber!

And there were a couple other web pages that had star warsy themes.

UNBER COOL.

//wants lightsaber so JP can't be mean to me anymore on the boards.//

Cause JP likes having his fingers and toes. :) [face_mischief]

[face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil]

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Stopped light <> lightsaber

And you with lightsaber in CHC does not stop me picking on you from Auckland.

And what would you do to my fingers and toes with a lightsaber that you couldn't do already with a really sharp knife?

22. Enapie

Enapie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    Brotherly love [face_love]

Isn't it grand

23. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Kitt: I'm already doing no. 1, 2 and 3 (or trying not to), 4 to 10 I'll try them out. Except maybe 10--I could never arrive that early to sit at the front.

Btw, have you any finished fanfics from last year? :D

SFL: How could you make light stop? :confused:

24. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Did I finish any fanfic? Did I ever! 100,000 words worth :D I'll PM you the super secret exclusive link.

Well, currently I'm trying to get into the stage 1 film studies paper, which is full. Why they don't just have more streams, I don't know. I'm hoping someone's going to pull out tomorrow so I can get in.

I'm also still trying to track down missed handouts. The resource centre tells me they won't have them till next week. So right now I have no idea what's happening in one of my papers. I'm going to have to go and visit the lecturer tomorrow morning. **stress**

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Lisa: I don't know - if I did - I surely wouldn't be at uni in Chch!

:)

It was ages ago - I can't remember the web site!

sowwy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.