main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mortal Kombat

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by aPPmaSTer, Sep 6, 2006.

1. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I just re-watched the first Mortal Kombat movie today and the first thing that I thought when it was over was, "Wow this movie is so good, I wonder why MK isn't as popular as it has a potential to be?" I mean the games were really good, especially the first few of them before the story went all crazy; they had some really interesting and intriguing characters...a LOT can be done with a franchise like that.

The first movie has everything a movie based on a video game should have and more, in fact I think it's the BEST movie based on a video game that we've seen so far. It has a pretty good story, the characters are very likeable, the music is awesome...it's just a really good movie. The only few things that could have been improved are bits of dialogue here and there, a bit of choreography, and some minor graphics issues.

MK: Annihilation on the other hand is a whole different story. The movie plain out sucked...and I really don't understand HOW they let it come to that. I mean when I was watching the movie, I constantly wondered if the people the made the movie actually SAW it because there were parts that were just horrible.

From what's going around on the net, there appears to be a new MK movie coming out called "Devastation", and they say that it will skip the events of Annihilation as if the movie didn't even happen. Could this revive the franchise?

What/who would you guys like to see in this new movie?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Mostly keep it simple.

Liu Kang
    Johnny Cage
    Sonya Blade
    Jackson "Jax" Briggs
    Shao Kahn
    Sindel
    Motaro
    Rayden
    Scorpion
    Sub-Zero
    Reptile
    Fujin
    Quan Chi
    Kitana
    Mileena
    Nightwolf
    Cyrax
    Sektor
    Noob Saibot
    Shinnok (Cameo)
    Dragon King (Referenced)
    Kung Lao (Referenced)
    Shang Tsung (Referenced)

3. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    One person I'd really like to see play a character in a Mortal Kombat movie is:

[image=http://www.cswu.cz/cast/temp/park/ray_9.jpg]

RAY PARK!!

He's both a good martial artist and an actor, and all sci-fi/fantasy fans love him.

I'd hate it if TPM was the only big thing in his career, he has so much potential.

By the way Darth-Sinister, didn't Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile die in MK1?

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i wouldn't mind seeing another MK movie.

5. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Sub Zero died in the first game as well, the subsequent sub zero was his brother. Scorpian is already dead, so you can't really "kill" him. As for reptile, who cares HE RAWKS!

6. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    Yeah I know about the whole Sub-Zero brother thing, but I don't get what's up with Scorpion? As for Reptile...it's sucks that they killed him off in the first movie cuz if he comes back now, it's going to be too unbelievable.

7. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    Maybe he had just shed his skin:)

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There is hope- a third film is in the works as wel speak, which will ignore Mortal kombat Annihilation and bring back Lambert as Rayden.

Which is the best route to go, really. MKA had great story potential but turned out to be a bad movie (though, granted, my favorite bad movie since the overacting makes the lines so terribly delicious).

One person I'd really like to see play a character in a Mortal Kombat movie is: RAY PARK!!

Actually, his first movie role was as one of the stuntmen in Mortal Kombat Annhilation, so he's technically already played an Mk character or two ;)

I'd hate it if TPM was the only big thing in his career

Don't forget X-Men.

9. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I loved the original MK. Great kung fu flic. Wouldve worked equally as well even w/o the video game following. Major hit in HK, whom Im sure are much more discerning with martial arts films than anyone else in the world.

10. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    IIRC, the original actor who played Johnny Cage is returning.

11. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    The fighting in part 1 just seemed so much more legitimate. I saw the making of when I was little, and in most of the actions seems, they were hitting each other pretty fecking hard.

12. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004

Yeah it was an obvious stunt double too. I'd like to see him play a whole character for once, not just a few seconds of one.

And I don't think Toad was anywhere near the scale of Darth Maul. It would be good if he played another "major" character.

I really liked the actor in the first movie, but I think he's way too old now. Plus, didn't Johnny Cage die?

I really hope they return Brigitte Wilson as Sonya though...[face_love]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They killed Cage off in MKA, but since they are ignoring that it doesn't matter. Though I believe in the games he was supposed to have died in MK2 (which is where MKA got the idea from).

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Scorpion can come back because as a spectre, he is not bound by mortal death. The worst that can happen is that his corporeal form can be destroyed for a short while, before he returns. In the "Deception", he becomes the new champion of the Earth Realm, chosen by the Elder Gods, when nearly everyone was killed by the Dragon King. While I don't expect that in this story, I can see them using the Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Quan Chi plot from "Mythologies", MK4, "Deadly Alliance" and "Deception". Quan Chi tricked Scorpion into thinking that the current Sub-Zero had killed Scorpion's family in his mortal life. When he finds out the truth, he goes after Quan Chi.

Reptile can come back, because there is more than one. And they can use his connection to the Dragon King in "Deadly Alliance" and "Deception".

Quan Chi is in and according to what's been said, he will be played by the same actor who portrayed him in Mortal Kombat: Conquest. The short lived television series. I saw that series and it was prett good.

Johnny Cage was killed between the end of the second game and the start of the third game. But he was brought back in "Trilogy", MK4 and so on. It was later retconned that he didn't die, I think. Since Cage plays a significant part in all subsequent games, they'll probably keep him alive.

The martial arts in MKA were mostly set up by Robin Shou, as opposed to Pat Robinson who did most of the first film. In fact, there were a number of fight scenes that were filmed and cut. So what you see in MKA, is only a small taste of what was actually filmed.

Ray Park was James Remar's double in MKA, which as pointed out, you can tell the difference.

Since there have been a few games, both the standard fighting and the adventure based, they have a lot more to draw off of in terms of backstory and overall plot.

Brian Thompson wasn't a problem as Shao Kahn, but his being related to Rayden and Shinnok took away his badass persona. A suitable replacement if they don't want to use him, would be to go with Jeff Meek who played both Rayden and Shao Kahn in MKC.

15. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    Johnny Cage was probably my favourite character in the movie, and it sucks that he dies in the story. I just hope they kill him a little better in this next movie becuase in MKA he goes down like a punk.

I hope they don't use the Quan Chi story and stick with the story of MK2. The reason for that is that I think the Quan Chi story is a bit too fantastic or far fetched for the audience to enjoy, and I think one major thing that made the first movie a success was that it showed the main characters are REGULAR PEOPLE, and slowly introduced us to fantastic elements. I remember the first appearance of Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the movie totally blew me away, because here you have a more or less realistic movie, and now you have these two fantasy ninjas come in all of a sudden and totally crank up the intrigue. Very cool! I think more of that is needed in any coming movie.

Actually, speaking of the martial arts in the movies, I think the second one had better moves than the first, but it just wasn't filmed nicely. There was one kick in particular that Liu Kang did on Baraka that was totally amazing, even better than anything I've seen Jet Li do. I don't think the martial arts will be a problem in the next movie, but they really have to stress on good acting and dialogue, which were two of the major flaws of MKA. The dialogue was the worst I've heard in any movie in my life.

BTW, darth-sinister, if Scorpion cannot be killed conventionally, how CAN you kill him?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If they are ignoring MKA, I also hope they don't rush into the Quan Chi stuff (and not only because I'm less familiar with the MK4+ storylines ;) ), because crowding the Shao Kahn/Earth Realm invasion plot seems wrong (especially since MKA suffered from trying to cram too many characters in, only to kill them off a second later or dissapear completeky from the plot)

Brian Thompson wasn't a problem as Shao Kahn, but his being related to Rayden and Shinnok took away his badass persona.

Brian made for a great over the top Kahn, but I would prefer they use him as they were going to oridinally- as Stryker. He looks the part better.

17. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    Thompson did look the part, but I personally didn't like the whole over-the-top aspect of his personality. I would have wanted him quieter and more of a real "Emperor".

The whole band of characters in MKA was really too much. Shao Kahn's 4 "generals" had no purpose in the movie whatsoever, nor did Jade, Mileena,...or any of the other characters for that matter :p

I hope they redo that whole plot idea from the ground up, because it can really work good if done properly.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Shao Kahn isn't exactly quiet- he does constantly taunt his opponent's in the games ("You weak, pathetic fools!", "You will never win!", etc).

19. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah I thoiough THompsan was perfect as Khan, I would look to Ken from streetfighter as stryker

20. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    I never really got Stryker's chracacter, who is he exactly? and where did he come from?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He was a New York riot police officer and was the sole survivor of the entire city, thanks to be unknowingly selected as one of Riaden's Earthrealm chosen, when Kahn began taking souls.

According to his wiki entry, after the defeat of Kahn it's implied (in Deception) that he journied to Orderrealm to join the Seidan Guardsmen, though he's also shown as a Dark Prison prisoner.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, it never said how he died in MKIII, just that he was killed. So what we saw in MKA seems to fit with the idea of Kahn being so powerful, that only Liu Kang or Rayden could stand up to him.

Quan Chi's main story is that he is a necromancer who can help raise the dead or have spirits of the dead inhabit the living or recently deceased. And his story tied into the whole mythology, since he formed an alliance with Shang Tsung to help resurrect Sindel and to secure the crystal which Shinnok used to get out of the Netherrealm. The crystal could allow them to open a portal to free the fallen Elder God, who was bannished there by Rayden and the Elder Gods centuries ago.

Probably only the Elder Gods can destroy him. Scorpion, according to the start of Deception, survived the trip through the Soulando which allowed him to emerge where the Elder Gods were and thus become the new champion.

I always loved "You suck!" for his taunts. Simple and to the point.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. aPPmaSTer

Dec 23, 2004
    Well it looks like they updated the MK3 page on IMDB, and here's the plot outline for the movie:

Earth's mightiest warriors: Lui Kang, Sonya Blade, Jax Briggs,and Lord Raiden must fight another evil force bent on the devastation of our world.

Obviously, Johnny Cage is not in the movie and that means that they DIDN'T ignore the events of the second movie. That and the fact that Shao Kahn is no longer the enemy.

That really sucks because I personally wanted a re-make of Annihilation cuz it had a good story.

I doubt that we'll be seeing Brigitte Wilson or Chrisopher Lambert in the movie though.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't take the IMDB listing as fact. Especially since we've been told through more relaible sources that they're ignoring MKA and that Lambert will probably be back.