main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mustafar catwalk (Work in Progress)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Kchr1ss, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earlack

Earlack Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2006
    Hey, for the terrain, did you do the same way as before ? Have you used a displacement map ?

2. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah i use displacement map. Ive tried both default max one and vray one. Vray displacement map is a lot quicker and more detailed (calulates during rendering) default one needs a lot of polys and i have max crashed lately a lot. Bad thing about vray displacement mod is that u can use only one map per object(or its just i dont know how to use more than one :cool:) whereas with default max u can have many, so u could do the landscapes and then another map to get like rivers or stuff all over the landscape and another one to get more sharp, rocky.

The rock shader is fine on this hill, but if i was to put on area of high and low cliffs/mountains - it looks bad. I guess I am mapping bad. I use UWV mapping - plane.

The sky is done in afterburn. It looks wierd in the corners for me too :p, and it wasnt itended for mustafar sky, just played around night time look.
    BTW afterburn is really great plugin :). The smoke and clouds can be great looking(if lighting is proper), i havent tried much the explode daemon or any other daemons tho.

I did a test thing using explode daemon(the head of the asteroid, smoke is afterburn too)

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/hotdayinmiami-1.jpg]

Lookfilms

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I think you can use more than one map, like if you pick a map it will just dissappear and it'll be set to the modifier, but if you go to the material editor and drag the map (the button displaying the map) to a new material slot you'll be able to edit it like a regular map, it's just not under a full shader material.

4. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Usually what i do is, i go to material editor, i import the procedural map(new bitmap, my .tga file) and then i drag the material slot into the vraydisplacement mod tex map slot.

I read from u that, if i drag from the vray displacement tex map button to material editor free slot, and if if i edited that one to different from the original. And i would end up haveing both used by single vraydisplacement modifier?Doesnt sound like it could o_O or i missread.

I actually got already better results yesterday, I used bigger procedural map for smaller area and more polys, less features. Looks bretty good, maybe have to render in layers, mountains behind other mountains separetly.

I will try to render tonight,hopefully soon I can show what i got.

Look.

5. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    I mean like if you wanted to use more than just a single bitmap or something, when you select what you want as the map for the displacement modifier it doesn't let you select it, to change the map, so if you had a noise map for displacement you would have to go with the default noise settings. To change those settings you can just drag the map you applied to a new material slot and edit it. I may have misunderstood what you said and I could be going off on a strange tangent, if so then disregard this.

On another idea, if you want to apply different maps, couldn't you apply more than one vraydisplacement modifier?

6. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    Amazing! :)

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
  8. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    lol, Pixelmagic, asking for an update? Feeling a bit challenged by his work? Don't worry about it, updates will come when they come. I haven't seen him online in quite a while, and when he is he's generally AFK.

9. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    I havent been working on mustafar projects too often.

I kind of suck at materials and texturing ,so ive been trying to learn and improve. Seems to me that materials and mapping are even more important than proper lighting for good image.

Heres a latest rock shader ive got. Its not anything complicated at all: It just a seamless rocky photo (hires) and specular level, bump, displacement map of it.

[image=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9175/testrenderbigcl5.jpg]

10. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Looks very nice though.

11. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Looks good.

12. DarkSapiens

DarkSapiens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2005
    Yes, I agree. That's a very convincing rock.

13. takhs77

takhs77 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2006
    Looking good looking good... =P~

14. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    thanks for the support. I have finaly started working on a some of the shots that dont need actors :).

Lookfilms.

15. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    ahh... long not worked on mustafar.

There are more updates on:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/2435-mustafar-enviroment-project-ii.html

Heres latest update i did few days ago. I also began texturing it :). Its the balcony:

[image=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7953/balconywipwr4.jpg]

And heres a lava animation test, its a simple small flow, focused more on the material at this point. I think it came out pretty good, at least my older testings are 1000 times uglier lol.

http://www.savefile.com/files/471184

Lookfilms

16. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    That looks really nice, checking out the animation now.

17. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    Lava looks a little thin. Otherwise excellent.

18. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    The balcony looks awesome, very accurate.

The lava flow has really good looking materials, and the heat shimmer looks cool too, but I don't think it would work any closer than the angle you have.

19. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks. and thanks for suggestions.

I im pretty optimistic with the lava. its just right now i used my old old realflow simulated liquid to test the material and lighting,also i did the mask for lava/rock very sloppy and quick. And it is a litle more bumpier (not so smooth) in raw frames. Compression makes it blurrier. I was pretty much in hurry to see if my idea is gonna work, so i didnt put much effort into all the elements.

I dont think i would get any closer, i would say this flow is not more than 3m/8feet wide, so if it was a river thats how close u would get but a lot wider. Hard part will be generating more randomness, spurting lava, rock islands...

Lookfilms

20. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    =P~ Just... on awesome. Glad to see your still working on it.

21. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    ...I did tonight somemore after a while. I modeled the bottom of balcony, I need to fix a scale issue with the upper row of tiles, their too big i guess. Next i need to add support beam kind of things beneath balcony that connect to rock. And then its left the ceiling and roof :). I ve noticed how many small lights everywhere is in the mustafar in the movie, which makes it looks so real too. Its almost 400 000 polys.

[image=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/628/balconywip2qh8.jpg]

Texturing this will be complicated XP. I need to find a way to group it wisely and have huge maps instead of small separates. I definetley wanna avoid texture tiling.

22. takhs77

takhs77 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2006
    OMG OMG OMG! thats simply A-W-E-S-O-M-E ! i though u gave up... but thank god ur still doing miracles! :D

and btw... what renderer are u using ? mental ? ...

23. Laughing_Cheese

Laughing_Cheese Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2006
    <disregard, wrong thread :p>

24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    Nice u have made some real progress since the last time I visited this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.