main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends My Jedi, My Brother, Myself.... AUTHOR NOTE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Title: My Jedi, My Brother, Myself
    Author: Durhelediel
    Rating: PG
    Timeline: Occurs after Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice #18: The Threat Within
    Disclaimer: All known Star Wars characters belong to George Lucas. All original characters belong to me. I don't have to ask George to borrow his characters, but I do ask that you PM if you wish to use mine. Also, special appreciation goes to Layren for letting me use Master Healer Han'yaie. If you wish to use him, ask her. Thanks!
    Summary: When two planets that have been at war for four generations decide to seek a mediator to end the conflict and seek concessions, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi are assigned to the negotiations. While the Jedi are seeking a resolution, a fierce plague hits the populace of the planet Yanark?yet only the young contact the disease. Already trying to help find a cure, Qui-Gon's worse fears are realized when Obi-Wan becomes ill. Is there a cure?or will the planet claim more victims through plague than war?

Chapter One

"Your thoughts are far away," Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn commented to his padawan as they stood at the observation viewport on their transport. They were in the process of a lengthy landing on a small but beautiful planet named Yanark. The pilot of their transport was a skilled hand?he kept the best view of the planet in their vision as he braked and maneuvered to land in an open bay.

Seventeen-year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi smiled warmly at his mentor. "I was just thinking of how glad I am that our latest mission didn't turn out quite as badly as the mission to Melida/Daan."

Qui-Gon gave him an appraising look. "You've grown and matured since that conflict, Padawan. And now the populace of Vorzyd 4 will benefit as the generations learn to rely on each other."

In truth, Qui-Gon was very proud of how Obi-Wan had handled himself during their last mission. Qui-Gon had been forced to realize that his padawan was becoming a Jedi Knight, and that he was not ready to let go of Obi-Wan yet.

After a brief but companionable silence, Obi-Wan asked, "So the Jedi Council wants us to mediate the ending of a war that both sides wish to have ended?"

"That is correct," Qui-Gon informed him as their transport finally finished its landing with a slight bump.

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. "And, even though both planets want this war to end, they can't negotiate on their own?"

Qui-Gon sensed a joke from his padawan and so he carefully answered, "So it would seem."

The boy broke out into a wide grin that reached his blue eyes. "So I guess 'Hey, let's stop fighting!' wasn't a good enough concession for either Jyniaire or Yanark?"

The Jedi Master chuckled and led his apprentice toward the ramp. "You should know by now that both planets will want certain conditions met, depending on whom they see as holding the majority of the blame."

"Which is never the true guilty party," the boy added with a smirk.

Qui-Gon's reply was cut off as the pilot met them at the still-raised ramp. "You must wear these," the very tall humanoid instructed, handing them each a clear breathing tube.
    The two Jedi exchanged a quick look.

"Is there some problem with the planet's atmosphere?" Qui-Gon queried, though he had read nothing unusual about the planet's air in his and Obi-Wan's research on Yanark.

"No, but it's precautionary," their pilot assured them, blinking his large eyes slowly. "There is a small plague on Yanark. So far, only the younger generation has contacted the disease, but since we are different biologically, it has been requested that you keep these breathers always on while you are here, unless you are in a purified dwelling."

"We had heard of no plague," Obi-Wan interjected calmly as he fastened his breather onto his face.

The pilot smiled at him, though he did not don a breather himself. "It is recent. I'm sure that as Jedi you will be perfectly safe."

"Being a Jedi does not make one immune to illness and disease," Qui-Gon remarked as he f

2. JediGaeliaWindstar

JediGaeliaWindstar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Wow! Such drama! Such compassion! I cant wait to see more! Keep up the good work, my friend!

3. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Okay since you read that so fast and chapter two is already finished, I'll go ahead and put it up, lol. Nice to know I was missed in my horribly long absence--yet getting married will do that to you, haha! Thanks for the compliments!

Chapter Two

As Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon walked the open air market behind their guide, he still felt shock and horror at the Councilman's words. In two weeks all the children on Yanark would be dead? His mind reeled at the implications for this planet if every child, every hope of the future, died.

"Master," he finally said quietly.

Even in the bustle and noise of the market, Qui-Gon immediately heard him and shortened his long stride to draw even with his padawan. "What is it, Obi-Wan? You have been preoccupied ever since we left the Councilman's chambers."

Obi-Wan lifted troubled eyes to his master's solid presence. "Master, what can we do to help the children? Could we contact the Jedi Temple and seek Healers to come here? Would they come in time?"

Qui-Gon did not immediately rebuke him from turning away from their original mandate to mediate the cessation of a four generation long war, but instead thought over his words. Finally, he sighed and said, "Obi-Wan, we are here to mediate this peaceful transition of war. However, I do not see how contacting the Masters at the Temple to seek help for the plague victims would be a bad thing. When we are conducted to our quarters here, you may use the holonet for such a request."

"You want me to ask the Council?" Obi-Wan was shocked. Usually Qui-Gon handled the Jedi Council and let him simply listen in to the conversation?or argument, if he was deviating from the original mission.

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow and let a corner of his mouth lift into a smile. "It was your idea, was it not?"

"Yes, Master," he breathed. Now, as on Vorzyd 4, his master was allowing him to handle more responsibility, to take greater action on events that he believed to be right. Perhaps Qui-Gon was finally noticing that he was no longer a child.

"Come," Qui-Gon was saying, "we need to keep up with our host." He lengthened his stride again to pull in front of Obi-Wan to hear their guide prattle on about the joys of Yanark's marketplace and exports.

Obi-Wan followed in a daze, not really able to hear their guide through the noise of the market. He let his eyes wander over the strange foods and trinkets that were being sold in the open booths, curious but not knowing what each thing was. Staring at a particularly startling shade of yellow in a strange pattern of cloth, he momentarily did not watch where he was walking and collided solidly with a Yanarkan. Both tumbled to the ground in a tangle of arms and legs.

"So sorry!" The young female apologized as she struggled to sit up. Her face was inches from Obi-Wan's and her body pressure was lighter than a human so he did not mind at first that she was on top of him.

He smiled and tried to reassure her that he was all right?when she coughed suddenly, her pale skin darkening with the force of the cough.

"Are you okay?" He asked her as he slid out from under her and reached down to help her up.

She coughed again, but accepted his proffered hand. "I'm fine. Just a cough I started having today."

Closer to her, he noticed that she was his own age and very pretty, though still taller than he. When he reached up to smooth out his hair in a self-conscious gesture, he brushed against his breather and discovered that it had fallen askew from his face in the collision. His heart immediately began to pound as he quickly readjusted the mask to solidly fit over his nose and mouth again, but he felt a sinking feeling in his stomach as he realized the girl had just coughed on him and he had had no protection. True, he had no proof that she had nothing but a bad cough, but with the thought of the plague hitting the younger generation and its symptoms running through his mind, it wasn't a good conclusion he was arriving at.

He noticed she was s

4. Sithlawstudent

Sithlawstudent Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2003
    I can't wait for more. Very nice job!!!!

5. judsta36

judsta36 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

Poor Obi-Wan: in for a bout of sickness!

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Oh, great job. Loved Obi and Qui in this...but its all going to go haywire!! :_| I'm kinda looking forward to that.

In fact, I'm looking forward to that a lot. [face_devil]

Moremoremore....

<and congrats on getting married. :D>

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful work! I can't wait for more! =D=

8. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    great story!

I can't wait to see what happens next.. please update again soon =D= and if its not too much trouble, could you PM me with your updates? :D

somehow I think the girl coughed on him on purpose..or maybe Im just being paranoid. ;)

but eek, I think Obi-Wan should tell..before its too late..

9. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh dear...Obi better tell...

Got me hooked, once again, more soon!

10. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Typical Obi-Wan, the silly. When's he going to learn that it is NEVER a good idea to refrain from telling his Master something?

Oh, please update soon! (You're a newlywed? Congrats!)

11. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Sithlaw- Thank you! And I love the sn! haha I was going to go into juvenile law before I decided to try for a family instead. I hope to continue my aspirations when my non-existant children reach school age.

Judsta- Yep! A serious bout of sickness too...

Princess- Heehee, you and me both! And thank you! I so far love being married, even if it is to a Dark Lord of the Sith who keeps trying to corrupt me to the dark side. Makes for some interesting encounters...haha!

Vader- High praise! Glad you like it...hang on for more!

JoinMe- It wasn't on purpose. For once, it was a complete accident, though something (not saying what because I don't want to reveal more than I should) about this plague is not as it seems... And you'll see Obi starts to have no choice but to tell Qui-Gon about his infection.

Arwen- Nice to see I haven't lost you! Sorry it's taken me so long to write anything, but, well I've been really busy between insane summer classes and the wedding and then moving to our apartment. Now that I'm mostly settled I have a few moments here and there to torture our favorite characters, heehee.

Fluff- Haha, yeah never a good idea, but since Qui-Gon recently lost Tahl he didn't want to worry him. And thank you! Yep, a newlywed with stars in her eyes. Who knew these Dark Jedi could be good husbands? :}

12. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Three

Their quarters were very spacious, though plain. It was obvious that the Councilman had wanted to treat them with high respect without overdoing it. They each had a room that connected to the main living area and small kitchenette, like the spokes of a wheel. Much to Obi-Wan's delight, there were even small balconies off of each room where he could glance outside to see the stars and planets in the sky once it became night.

"Very impressive," Qui-Gon commented from beside him. Obi-Wan turned to see his master standing in the doorway, his arms crossed as he gazed around. "Makes one wonder why the Councilman is trying so hard to impress us."

Obi-Wan scoffed. "At least he's not trying to kill us, poison us, or throw us in some dank cell somewhere, beaten. I much rather deal with this kind of subtlety."

Qui-Gon smiled underneath his beard. "Don't be too hasty in that assessment, my young padawan. At least in the other situations we knew exactly what we were dealing with and what was wanted of us. Here?things are less clear."

"Aren't we here to discover what each planet wishes in concessions to end this war?" Obi-Wan asked, confused. It had seemed pretty obvious to him.

Qui-Gon lifted an eyebrow. "Yes, Obi-Wan, but look deeper. The fact that Councilman Lensap did not tell anyone of this plague before we discovered it once we arrived speaks to something else that he is hiding. We must establish what that is before any truth can be found."

Shaking his head, Obi-Wan sighed, "One day, just one day, I'd like to meet an honest, straight-forward politician who doesn't send everyone in circles just to say 'yes'."

"If you find one, Padawan, make sure you record it in our records at the Temple," was the sardonic reply. "Now, come, we must contact the Council."

~~~~

Although Obi-Wan had seen the members of the Council many times over the years and respected all of them, this was the first time he was going to speak to them alone. Qui-Gon was watching from the other end of the room, a constant presence should he need support, but otherwise leaving this to him.

He quelled his nervousness and took a deep breath right before Master Yoda appeared before him on the holonet screen. Quickly, he bowed his head, knowing that his image was being projected into the Council room where he normally would be standing?in the center of the Masters.

"Need something did you, young Kenobi?" The little green Jedi Master inquired in his own strange way.

"Honored Masters," he began, catching a glimpse of three or four other Jedi Masters seated in the room, "I understand that Master Qui-Gon and I were sent to resolve the conflict between Yanark and Jyniaire. Since our arrival, Master Qui-Gon and I have been met with startling news: there is a plague afflicting the children on Yanark."

Dark-skinned Jedi Master Mace Windu frowned and tapped his fingers together. "A plague? Are you sure?"

Obi-Wan tried not to feel as if he were a child being reprimanded by Master Windu's tone. "Yes, Master. Once the children begin to show symptoms, it takes merely four days to kill them in a horrible fashion. If something is not done soon to help find a cure for this plague, Councilman Lensap estimates that all the children will be dead in two weeks."

There was shocked silence. Finally, Yoda twitched his left ear. "A plan have you, Padawan Kenobi?"

Obi-Wan tried to hide a smile. At least Master Yoda was showing him more respect than before. Steeling himself, he nodded. "I request that any and all available Healers be sent to Yanark at once. Death is?thick here."

Yoda turned toward the other Masters and gestured, turning the sound on the holonet off so that they could confer without him overhearing their discussion. While the Masters talked, Obi-Wan glanced over at Qui-Gon, who smiled and gave him a nod of encouragement.

Finally, after several long moments, Yoda turned the sound back on. "Agree with you the Council does, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Save the children we m

13. JOINME

Jul 25, 2005
    oh you are evil! :eek:

you simply cannot leave off there!

fantastic update...eeek...this will cause a problem now..but I am glad the healers will be coming. :)

You simply must post again soon!! [face_praying]

This is going great...and indeed things are fishy.. [face_thinking]

by the way, congrats on getting married! :)

14. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Yaaa...aaah! The situation's grown tense - ooh! I loved the way Obi simply threw conventions to the wind - and stood his ground when he was talking to the Council. And poor Obi... :_| Also, poor Qui, because its going to be awful for him. :(

Evil author, leaving us dangling like that. Come back!

When you've recovered from strange encounters with sith lords, that is. :D

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Finally got here and managed to post a review -- I forgot how stinkin fast you were at updating :p

Wow the tension is building here..[face_worried] Poor Obi-Wan , I hope they can find a cure.

Which two healers are they sending I wonder....

16. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Durhelediel, you're evil! What a scary ciffie. I can just hope for my poor Obi-Wan to be okay...
    This is brilliantly written, and I hope it goes on for a very long time.
    Forever your loyal fan,
    Jodie-Wan

17. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh dear, poor Obi-Wan. :( [face_worried] I hope those healers get there in a hurry! They only have four days to find a cure, ack!
    Great story, Durhelediel! I'm glad I found this! :D

18. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Joinme- Heehee, as Layren can attest, I love evil cliffies! haha And thank you! Married life is much better than single life. :}

Princess- Yes, my dark Lord does demand much of my time, especially this weekend as he has time off from work, but I am still working on the fic as I can. (He's taking a nap right now, lol). And I have been called the Dark Temptress because of my evil cliffies.
    [face_devil]

Layren- Yay, you're here! Yep, I'm fast, especially if given the time and my muse is kicking me in the shin... That reminds me, check your PMs if you haven't already.

Darksaber- Wow! A forever loyal fan! Gee, I feel so special all of a sudden! :} I'm really glad you enjoy my work. Stay tuned!

Bastet- Why, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you found it as well. I simply thrive off of reader posts! And I love to see new blood...I mean, readers.
    [face_batting]

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    No you really meant what you said -- you love new blood ;)

:p

I checked my pm's early this morning, why didn't you check yours yet :p

20. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Four

Qui-Gon watched Obi-Wan as he slept fitfully in Yanark's best medical facility. The doctors had taken the mask off of his face and placed many medical machines near him for when the plague began to make itself known in its latter stages. Sweat poured from Obi-Wan's body and occasionally he would jerk, though he did not come out of unconsciousness. Qui-Gon knew, and had reassured the doctors, that Obi-Wan had sunk into a deep meditative state akin to a healing trance. His smart padawan was trying to beat the plague already, or at least delay it. Only time would tell if it would work.

Troubled, Qui-Gon wondered how Obi-Wan had become infected. They had not been on Yanark a full day?when had Obi-Wan taken off his mask, and for what reason? Neither of them had wanted to chance the plague so it made no sense that Obi-Wan would willingly remove his protection.

Qui-Gon sighed. Only Obi-Wan possibly knew that answer. He would have to wait until his padawan woke to ask him. Time was against them now. According to the Yanarkan doctors, Obi-Wan had entered stage one of the plague and had only about three more days to live.

"You are strong, my padawan," Qui-Gon murmured as he gazed at the copper-haired youth. "You will fight this. You must give me more time to find a cure." To him, his mission objective had suddenly shifted. No longer was he here to help two planets find their petty reasons to stop a war they both wanted brought to a close; now he was here to save Obi-Wan and the children of Yanark.

"Um, Master Jedi?"

Qui-Gon brought himself out of his musings to see a petite female doctor hovering near him. "Yes, Doctor??"

She smiled and slowly blinked her wide eyes. "Ba'nai. I am in charge of your padawan through his sickness."

"It is the plague," he reminded her shortly.

She nodded. "Yes, but for the moment it is merely a sickness."

Qui-Gon frowned. "I don't understand."

Doctor Ba'nai gestured expansively to the slumbering Obi-Wan. "He is fighting it with a strength none of our children possess. He has prolonged already the effects of stage one. By now, he should be coughing, have a high fever, and be vomiting. He is not. He is still in the sweating process, which in most cases did not linger more than a few minutes. Perhaps this is an effect of his different biological structure, or perhaps his Jedi nature, we do not know." She gazed at him as if he could provide the answer.

"I sense that he is in a deep meditative state," Qui-Gon told her. "He is trying to fight the plague internally, which is something only a Jedi could do. But I know that he is strong as well, so I cannot answer what you ask."

The doctor looked disappointed. "If only we knew?it might help us with the other children?"

Very quietly, Qui-Gon sincerely said, "I'm sorry. Perhaps in time we will know more. Two Jedi Healers are on their way from Coruscant to assist you in finding a cure. I, also, will do what I can in-between my other duties."

Both of them turned to watch Obi-Wan as he gave another twitch and a low moan, but did not wake.

"Keep me informed," Qui-Gon told her, then left to find the Councilman. He had a few questions he wanted answered.

~~~~

Immediately, Qui-Gon could sense the Councilman's nervousness and severe agitation, which confirmed a suspicion that he had of Councilman Lensap knowing more about the plague than he had earlier stated. The humanoid's load of guilt and overwhelming grief at losing his son was not entirely in proportion to what it should have been?it was more. He knew something, and Qui-Gon was going to find out what. The children, and now Obi-Wan, depended on it.

"Councilman Lensap, thank you for seeing me at this late hour," Qui-Gon began once escorted into the Councilman's personal quarters an hour after he had left Obi-Wan in the medical facility.

Wide eyes tracked his every movement. "Always available for a Jedi," Councilman Lensap stated, though Qui-Gon felt his tension. "What can I do for you t

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww someone pass the tissues...

22. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Yay! That's it, Obi-Wan, fight that damn plague!

23. JOINME

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh my... :eek: He created the plague..but I feel sorry for him. :( He lost his son too, and now I doubt his wife will ever forgive him..

and good on Obi for fighting. :)
    I hope he wakes up soon..

Cant wait for the next post! :D

P.S. I can assure you, unmarried life is wonderful as well. ;) :p

24. judsta36

judsta36 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    Oh, poor wifey - I feel really sorry for her! :_|

25. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Poor Obi-Wan, but I'm glad he's fighting so hard. Don't give in, Obi! Aaaggghhhh! And I feel bad for that councilman and his wife, too. :( Between those scientists and the healers, I hope somebody can find a cure for that plague, and soon!!
    Thanks for the great update! [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.