main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW New Movies thread!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by mauls-menace, Jun 26, 2002.

1. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    We did have a Movie thread but it seems to have been locked, due to lack of interest it seems.

Well I'm starting another one!! :)

Here goes:

What movies are people looking forward to seeing?
    What movies have you seen recently that you'd like to tell us about?
    What books/events etc would make great movies?

I'll start it off.

I'm looking forward to seeing the following movies:

Road to Perdition - a meaty role for Tom Hanks, looks really dark and moody.
    The Sum of All Fears - this one looks great despite Ben Affleck playing a young Jack Ryan. Be intereseting to see how they've changed it from the book.
    Men in Black II - this just looks like a fun movie.
    Star Trek Nemisis - ok, I'm a closet Trekkie!!
    and of course ....
    LOTR: The Two Towers - no comment neccessary!!

Went and saw Minority Report on Tuesday night and it is fantastic, a very very good movie. Intelligent and the best work both Speilberg and Cruise have done in some time. Williams score is also great! :D

So, what does everyone else think?

2. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I cant wait for MIB2 that looks funny, especially Tommy Lee as a postman in shorts! (sorry they dont wear shorts over here)

and obviously The Two Towers, not really looking forward to harry potter.

don't know what else is coming out coz we are MONTHS behind the US

3. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Daredevil and the Hulk are my 2 big "Cant waits"

TTT and HP2 will both be ok. MIB2, Ill probably see but I didnt like the first one that much. I wanna go see Minority report when I can, and X2 has begun filming...

4. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I can't believe you guys - there's only one I'm waiting for....

EP III !!!!

But I did hear rumours of Uncle George and Spielberg doing Indiana Jones IV - now that sounds cool.

5. mauls-menace

Dec 23, 2000
    EPIII well, this one is top of my list, closely followed by The Matrix II & III, and the next 2 LOTR chapters.

Blade II, X2, The Hulk and Daredevil are also ones I'll be seeing.

Indy IV, well I'll wait until there're actually filming before I add this one to my list. I am looking forward to seeing Mr Ford as a Russian in K19: The Widowmaker though. HP2 I can wait for. XXX looks interesting.

6. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    MIB II looks good, LOTR, i'm seeing scooby saturday night. I've seen Blade II, it is sooooooooooooooo much better than the first one (i can't wait till i see it on the big screen) Hulk for sure, daredevil, X2, Matrix 2 and 3 ummm minority report, Ep III. I'm not sure what else is coming out, but if its good i want to see it. Oh yeah i can't wait to see Harry Potter aswell.

7. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Terminator 3 and 4

8. Keith_Katarn

Jan 3, 2002
    Police Academy XIX ?

Rocky 42 ?

9. Episode1WasntAnyGood

Episode1WasntAnyGood Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2001
    Saw minority report last night, and although it was good, there were some issues i felt... i think the structure was kinda clunky (insert 15 minute exposition scene in greenhouse NOW) and what's with that quirky odd sense of humour? It just didn't fit.
    But hey on the most part, its cool.... and that highway scene where he's jumpin' on da cars!!!!!

10. mauls-menace

Dec 23, 2000
    I thought Minority Report had elements of previous Philip K Dick based movies such as Blade Runner, Total Recall and The Imposter. The freeway/lift scenes were fantastic. Loved the concept of ID by eye-dentification, and that whole section with the "spiders" going from room to room looking from above ..... WOW!!

11. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    I haven't seen that yet, I don't think it's out here saw ads for it in the movie theatres but no where else. Would you recommend seeing it?

12. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Im gonna give Minority Report a shot

And i havent seen Spidey enough times yet :)

Matrix Sequals could be cool as well.

13. LadyVader81

Jan 2, 2001
    yeah I got a trailer for Matrix Reloaded and that looks ace :D

14. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

We'll, I'm gonna do my bit for alternate films - ie, this list doesn't include all the other films already mentioned ...

Ghost World. Looks interesting. And they have my SOH. :D And heard nothing but good things about it. It's on now, btw. I might see it this weekend or next week...

Frailty. Low budget spooky movie. Supposed to be very good. A man receives messages from God and goes around killing demons disguised as humans (or are they????). Told from his two sons' POV.

15. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Reign Of Fire is my pick, dragons invade earth in the year 2084. Can't wait :D

16. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Reign of Fire DOES look pretty cool.

And Ghost World is based ona comic book! yay comic movies!

17. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Movies I want to see:

Ghostworld
    Bend it like Beckham
    The Importance of Being Ernest

and, of course

Men in Black 2

18. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i was supposed to see minority report last week, but it was sold out. so i saw spidey again :p

but i want to see that, it looks really good :)

the borne identity looks good also, but i dunno when it's coming out here. the only reason i know about it is because my mom's reading the book before she watches the movie. it just came out in the US, apparently.

MIBII and Austin Powers III both look entertaining, so i'd like to see them at some point also

and of course, LotR and EP III :D

19. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Star Trek: nemesis :)

looks sweet

20. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    M-M thats cos P K Dick wrote the original stories or the screenplay for Bladerunner, Total Recall and Minority Report.

21. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Except most of the PKD stories had different names:

Bladerunner = "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" (I think it's about time to read it again. I might understand it this time. :) Btw - "Blade runner" isn't even a PKD phrase, it's from a William Burroughs book - WB is also a great read, btw)

Total Recall = "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" (And again, the story is much better than the movie)

Screamers (really bad flop of a thing with Ed Harris) = "The Second Variety" (Once more, the plot is different, eg, totally different ending).

Imposter = Imposter

Minority Report = Minority Report

22. mauls-menace

Dec 23, 2000
    Good point OzHaggis I might give "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" another go. It's been years since I read it and when I did it was so confusing and out there!

23. Keith_Katarn

Jan 3, 2002
    And while we're at it.... go back and read "Starship Troopers" by Robert A Heinlein. Or for that matter, any Heinlein - it's all classic and excellent.

I'd much rather see movies based on classic SF than on old dodgy cartoons. Comic based movies are okay, though.....

24. Somebody_For_Someone

Somebody_For_Someone Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2001

MIB2!!! Who wants to come and see it at a fundraiser for my formal on Wednesday? It's at GU Hurstville at 5:30 cost is $10, you're pretty likely to get tickets cos we're actually in negative dollars at the moment, so...

Minority report. I saw it right after AOTC on Saturday and there are a lot of little things in common with AOTC (like tom Cruise's right arm gets stamped in the factory scene, like Ani's, there's also a futuristic traffic chase scene...)

TTT - totally agree with menace.

25. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Anyone else coming?