main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New SW Book

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    As the X-Wing pilot increases to 2/3 throttle, her four Incom 4j.4 Fusial Thrust engines pulse at a rate of 400 P/ns giving her a momentum of 75 MGLT, if she keeps all power settings at neutral.

See, there ya go. :)

2. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Just finished Shatterpoint. I must say that after the initial 90 page slump it got really, really good. I cannot describe the action scenes and the strategies employed by General Windu were amazing and unbelievable, to say the least.

But it also really got into the philosophy of the Jedi and fighting the war and the morals elements that 'keeper's of the peace' must face while fighting a huge bloody war, where 'to save these innocents means killing those innocents'

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Don't forget, NJO Reunion comes out next Tuesday, July 1st (as well as the new Farscape DVD!) :)

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    On a side note, anyone reading the new Harry Potter? The Fed Ex guy delivered mine Saturday morning and if I didn't have to format my computer, twice, I wouldn't have put it down :D

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    ugh! I finally finished Reunion today and I must say, this is the hardest of the NJO books to read, IMHO. The first 3/4 of the book just doesn't seem necessary. They are long and drawn out and severly boring. All of the action happened probably over the last 90 pages. I don't want to give away the story because a lot has finally been explained, but needless to say unless you are reading the entire NJO, I wouldn't bother with this book. Just read some spoilers on-line and save yourself a few bucks and some much valuable 'life time'.

6. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I still haven't made it a quarter of the way into Refugee. If you say Reunion was that bad, I have the feeling I'll be suffering through it for a very long time. :( They just need to end it already! PLEASE!!!!

On a happier note, I just picked up my copy of Shatterpoint yesterday. I've been hearing too many good things about it to put it off any longer.

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    eh, only two books to go. I'm really worried about what Del Rey plans to do after the NJO [face_plain]

8. Commander_Clone

Commander_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I have returned!

I thought Force Heretic 3 was remarkably average myself. It was cool that it tied up a lot of loose ends and all, but several things about it seriously disturb me.

*Potential Spolier alert*
    1) The war will be ended because of a planet? How lame is that. What is it going to do, think really hard at them?
    2)The prophet should really, really be dead by now. Is Shmirra a moron or what? Nom Anor should have left the series 10 or 12 books ago.
    3)It took entirely too long for Tahiri to figure out what she needed to do to stop freaking out. Didn't anyone see this coming in force heretic 1?

Oh well. I will post occassionally when my parent's dinosaur Pc allows. It seems impossible that I will be down in FL in 5 short weeks!

Enjoy the summer!

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Welcome back Commander!

Well I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one to find Reunion average.

SPOILERS
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    What did you think about the might Grand Admiral of hte Empire cruising around with his massive fleet of two Star Destroyers and some support ships? *rolls eyes*

I didn't like the whole thing with Tahiri. She spent so much time battling herself and suddenly she was all better. She hardly seemed to be in conflict with herself like I would have expected.

And I also find it remarkable that Nom Anor has escaped death so many times. It's starting to become rather lame. You would think Shimra would just flood the under parts of Coruscant with hunting parties. They don't seem to be advancing on the GFFA anymore so he should have the soldiers to spare and could probably bring a good amount back from places like Ithor and Dantooine.
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

10. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Man. I still haven't started Refugee and Reunion, and already I'm confused. I'm not sure I'll be ABLE to get through them, now. :(

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Refugee wasn't that bad, and if you focus on getting to the end of the series you can make it through Reunion. As a read it wasn't that bad, but it just didn't meet up to my expectations. May the Force be with you :)

12. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    Well, I couldn't find Refugee at StupidWalMart, so I just bought Reunion instead. Now I'm slightly confused, but my fanfic beta has luckily supplied me with Refugee spoilers, so I'm doing better. :)

And WHAT is up with Tahiri? Psycho child! :p

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Don't worry, you won't really be missing much if you skip Refugee. And I really don't like what happened with Tahiri. Not hte fact that she's psycho, just the fact that she suddenly snaps out of it and everything is all better. Very sloppy writing IMHO.

14. LianaMara

Oct 30, 2000
    I also didn't like the fact that Williams and Dix don't have chapter divisions. Very confusing.

15. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, that was just painful. It really made the novels seem long and drawn out.

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with the literature board, but considering most of us have had some major problems with the NJO I thought I would post these here. These are a couple of very interesting threads:

Vong

problems with the NJO

17. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Tomorrow, Sept. 30th, is the release date for the next NJO book, The Final Prophecy, as well as the TPB Clone Wars 2.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Update on CW2, for some reason it isn't out yet. That's all I have at this time :)

Now, for a Final Prophecy pre review, erm, review :p

Buy this book. Read it, charish it, then read it again. I'm only about a third of the way through, but it really gives me the feeling of the first NJO books. No more of this 'page 100, should I still want to read?' thing. If you're at page 20 and you don't get the feeling of 'I can't put this down! Screw Physics!' then you are frankly in a coma.

The characters are well written, the war is progressing on the side of the GFFA, and the Vong aren't a bunch of whiny sissy-men that they've been since Destiny's Way. They are beginning to realize the they whole idea of 'Let's just keep fighting until there aren't any Vong left' isn't going to cut it. Heck, even Nom Anor is tolerable again.

There is also a great scene with Twin Suns and a Rogue that was so well written, I can't stand it. I don't want to give anything away, so you'll just have to read for yourself, but Jaina has finally earned her rank and she seems to really have 'grown up'.

IMHO opinion, you could completely skip the Force Heretic Debacle and jump right into this book and not miss a beat. I can't wait to get to more of Wedge's scenes :D

19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Firstly, if you haven't bought Final Prophecy yet, then I smite you! *smite* You are smitten.

Secondly, on the main page is a story about getting a copy of The Unifying Force signed by James Luceno. You can have it personalized and everything, and it's no more expensive than the regular book. Great for any collector, and for no extra cost, I'd say it's worth it :)

20. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    So you seriously think I could get away with skipping the rest of the Force Heretic books? I'm in the middle of the second so I guess I have officially read half of the trilogy. I just can't bring myself to read any further. If you honestly think I would be missing much by skipping on and just going to Final Prophesy, then I will. I am so discouraged with the NJO right now. :(

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    My thoughts on the FH trilogy:

It's not a trilogy in any sense of the word and they are the worst books in the series. Basically you have the first book and the first half of the second book, then suddenly the story resolves itself, so to complete the 'trilogy' they just throw in that Tahiri is all better and Luke find Zonama Sekot. They explain more about Tahiri's condition in TFP than they did in the FH books. Plus, TFP is just so darn good! How long has this war been going on, 5 years? And it took them to the second to last book to finally mention what Thrawn may have done? Hint: for the answer, check out my sig. That has to be one of the coolest lines, aside from 'The Empire always strikes back' :D

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    So, have you read Final Prophecy yet?? Hmmmmmm?? I smite you! Anyway, the final book in the NJO comes out Tuesday (thank frelling God!) so if you have waited for years to see this whole thing come to an end, run out to Books a Million Tuesday and your wish shall come true!

23. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I JUST GOT MY SIGNED, PERSONALIZED COPY OF THE UNIFYING FORCE!!!! *does a Happy Force River-Dance!!!* :D :D :D

I had lunch with the United Space Alliance and VP of Riddle!!!! :D :D :D

The ERFSEDS Mercury was mentioned in the Avion!!!! :D :D :D

sorry, it's just been a helluva day! :D

24. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Personalized and signed? How'd you pull that one off?

Congrats on the other stuff too!! :D

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I sent you a PM about it a while back. It was through an e-signing site. It didn't cost any more than the regular book, except the $6 shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.