main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Trailer Visual Effects Glitches

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by John_FC, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I could have sworn I saw some yellow sabers but I'm just not sureeeee. Am I the only one?

2. The_Iron_One

The_Iron_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2002
    I dont know about yellow sabers ,but did anyone see Mace windu's saber? At that last shot where hes deflecting the laser,I mean look at that saber,Its awful.It looks like some of my early work,and that was not pretty.Hopefully this will be changed at release.

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    On the Star Wars web page that hosts the trailer, there is a shot that looks like purple and yellow sabers. When you view the actual trailer though, the shot is at about 2:19:17 to 2:20:06, they look more like green sabers. (Tinged more yellow by the orange sand background.)

Have fun!

4. princehamlet

princehamlet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    <"Plus, an army of Clone Troopers? The only other CGI army that fought battles was in the Mummy Returns, and we all know how bad that turned out. So cut them some slack.">

What about Episode I? That had an entierly CG battle.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Remember, the TPM trailers had some unfinished work in them, too. Amidala's voice hadn't been deepened when she said, "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a commitee."

Anyone who has the DVD could point that out.

6. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    So, did they re-dub that, or did they deepen it artficially?

7. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    DarthFoole: Through various sources ( ;) ), I've heard that they've got about another four weeks of work at ILM...

8. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Rive works for ILM!

[face_shocked]

9. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I think they went through and digitally altered all of Amidala's lines like that. At least, that's what I've heard.

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Eagle, I have it on good authority that Lord_Rive is actually George Lucas, but he wants to remain annonymous just in case he gets bugged by wannabes.

Right Mr Lucas?

11. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Not entirely true... Rive just lives in his beard...

12. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Eagle, I have it on good authority that Lord_Rive is actually George Lucas, but he wants to remain annonymous just in case he gets bugged by wannabes.

Quit bugging me, wannabe. :p

13. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    More coffee Mr Lucas?
    Boy, that shade of plaid really suits you Mr Lucas, uh, Sir.

14. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    I liked the trailer. Period.

Plus the next few sentences. As someone in this thread already mentioned, my way of watching movies has changed too. Since I was interested in visual-effects (and now working in that field) I more and more tried to figure out, how they did the film, rather than enjoying the story. This trailer is (in harsh contrast to the "Forbidden Love"-trailer) a pure show-off piece.

In case you didn't notice: Trailer (in most cases) do not show the best stuff of the movie... they keep that for the final movie. Did you ever think of the Star Wars movies as dramatically sophisticated movies? They are pure entertainment... and they have stunning visuals for this.

As for the "glitches", I noticed a few, and for some of them I might say to get those few shots done better... but in regard of the movie's size, I don't think I could. Taking into account, that there were over 1000 digitally manipulated shots in EP1, I think they will either raise that number, or the complexity of each shot for EP2.

I don't think George Lucas is a genius, I think the people of ILM are. PERIOD!

15. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Daft, I thought YOU were Lucas.

That's why you never show your face, right?

If not, let me know, so I can stop sucking up to you.

Thanks.

Your humble servant,
    Eagle

16. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    No I'm not. So you don't need to suck up to me now :) Click on any of these links if you want to see a picture of me (the second one is particularly harsh!). I'm the fat bloke with more chins than a chinese telephone directory (Ahh, the old jokes are still the best jokes)

But back to the trailer, I've watched it a fair few times now, and there are some incredible bits in there, not only do they have hundreds of battle droids and things running around, with explosions and missiles everywhere, but the camera is always tracking around at the same time. We're going to see stuff that will take years for us to copy (if we ever do) It looks like being a right old visual feast, I really can't wait (although yes, I realise I am going to have to) :)

17. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    After my "period" I still have something to add. Regarding the corridor scene, which most of you guys nitpicked being composited badly. It IS obvious, that the foreground (Mace and Obi-Wan) are too bright in relation to the background. It is possible, that this might only occur on computer monitors, which have a different color spectrum than film (though EP2 being filmed digitally, it is still printed to film for projection... except for those 3 digital cinemas). A good example for this are the garbage mattes of the original trilogy, showing up in almost every effect scene. In theaters it wouldn't show up, and I think this, and other things you call "glitches" will not be visible in the theater.

18. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Exactly!

You can't judge the quality of the finished film by watching a Quicktime movie!

Come May, you'll see...

19. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "I'm the fat bloke with more chins than a chinese telephone directory..."

Is it just me, or does Daft look like Harry Knowles without the beard, and the long scraggly hair? :D

20. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_laugh] Actually, sad though it is to admit, there does appear to be a similarity. Personally though, I think I look more like Brad Pitt than him :p

To get back on topic, I remember watching the Phantom Menace trailers and seeing a few 'dodgy' shots on the quicktime versions (especially the battle droids) but they looked great on screen. Has anyone seen any of the Star Wrs matte painting in real life? It's amazing that they come across as convincing, when you are about four foot away from them it's so obvious they are painting, I guess there's sometyhing about the magic of cinema/filmstock/projection that turns all of this stuff into reality when we see it on the big screen. Plus, It is a very weird way to watch a film, on a computer, probably frame by frame, not exactly something you can do in the cinema :)

21. pixarboy

pixarboy Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2001
    I saw the new trailer in the theater this past weekend and I must say, it looked AWESOME! I too thought something looked a little odd in the Quicktime version, but having seen it in the theater, all my woes are gone. It's like a totally different version, everything looked "real" and Yoda, you couldn't tell that he was CG at all...

So I say to everyone, see this in the theater before you try and judge/criticize it. The sound, music...the whole experience is multiplied by a factor of 10 in the theater.. ;)

pixarboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.