main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW WEBHOST - CHECK IT OUT

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey All ........
    Since a lot of people have been asking about web hosts and such lately, I thought I would pass along a link to a new web hosting company . . . . . . . TowerHost

My 3D CGI Forum, THE 3RD DIMENSION recently switched over to TowerHost,
    and we are very pleased thus far. :D

In any case, I thought some of you might be interested and want to give it a looksee.

JediTAC
    Pseudo-Official Human WebHost Search Engine :D

2. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Your 3rd dimension link needs fixing. :)

GuruGuy
    Self-appointed broken link pointer-outer

3. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Here ya go...

The3rd dimension

GuruGuy
    self-appointed broken link fixer-upper

4. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    LINK FIXED (Thanks, guru) ;)

5. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    man i've been looking for a host for quite a while. Do they actually have the domain name in YOUR name or does it stay in theirs? Are the download speeds for say video pretty good? Does downloading something like video lower the ammount of hits you can have permonth? and can i upgrade from one package to one that has more space?

6. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Why don't you email them and ask. ;) :D

7. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    well, because i dont know if they are lying to try to get me to use their service like for the having nice download speeds.

8. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Macho ... did you not READ my initial message above ???

I already said that my 3D CGI Forum, THE 3RD DIMENSION, switched over to TowerHost and we are very satisfied with them thus far. Why would you go and make a statement like that? What's the difference between this and any other web host and/or service that you want to find information about? Do you not trust anyone Macho, is that it?

Sheesh ... try to do a nice thing for some people, and Macho accuses me of promoting a shifty operation.
    Nice Macho ... real nice.

9. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    That looks interesting... It's starter plan is about $20 cheaper than my current plan, which gives you only 150 megs of space, but 6 gigs of transfer, 1 gig more that I will probably never use.

10. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Macho,

I am in the process of shifting the Dark Skies site over to these guys, so I'll let you know how things go. It's so far, so good, but I still haven't got to the stage where I can actually test out the download speeds of the server, so I'll let you know when it's up and running.

I wondered the same thing, becuase these plans are really cheap compared to what I'm used to, so I'm still waiting for 'the catch', but as JT suggests, there hopefully isn't one. But any cheap webhost it going to be a bit of a leap of faith, which I'm sure you can understand TAC, as the bandwidth used to host a 100MB fanfilm is obviously a lot different to the bandwidth used to host a normal website.

And yes, you can register any domain - obviously if it's still available - (which darkskies.com etc isn't!) and no, it doesn't have towerhost.com in front of the URL.

I'll post a link to the site when it's up and running, then you can see for yourself, and try to burn my server :) But as I said, it's so far, so good.

11. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Just so you all know, I do not have any involvement, financial or otherwise, with TowerHost (other than having 3RD DIMENSION hosted by them). Know, also, that I am one of several administrators over at 3RD DIMENSION - and I do not personally handle the webhost uploading/downloading stuff.

Nevertheless, we have been with them for several weeks now, and like Daft said ... so far so good. Granted, 3RD DIMENSION does not host FanFilms or anythign like that, but we do get a fair amount of trafic per day, and haven't had any noticable problems.

This was the reason I wanted to post the thread - to let you all know that there is a new Web Host out there, and that so far things have been going smoothly. I will be anxious to hear how things go for those who wish to host films on their respective websites.

I will also tell you that the owner of TowerHost, Steve Legget, is a relatively good friend of mine. If any of you have any problems, questions, concerns, etc ... feel free to write to him. (You can even tell him that "JediTAC sent ya") ;)
    I know he will be all but too happy to assist you as best he can. :)

12. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I registered with them last night. I need a few days to let the DNS chages take affect. This web host offers some of the cheapest prices for the space and whatnot around. And I have been looking. Hopefully there is no catch, but it seems very legite or I would not have signed up. I will post a link when it is ready to go. It is not Star Wars, but my band. I play drums in a Queensryche tribute band. We are playing this Thursday in case anyone in the Long Beach or surrounding areas would like to attend. It is called DiPiazzas and admission is $5.00.
    So Daft, you and Nikki will be there on time right?

13. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Wouldn't miss it for the world.
    I'm just waiting for the flight tickets you promised to arrive.

14. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    They are in the limo I sent to get you guys in. IT has several pints in it. Has it arrived yet?

15. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    Digitalllama.com is switching over to towerhost.com. Thanks for the heads up TAC!

-Chris

16. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    hey TAC did I EVER accuse you of LIEING? NO, I dont know if I can really trust an online Hosting Company, I made that mistake once, and i lost $70 and my domain name and i dont want to make it again! I asked a few harmless questions and you turn it into me attacking you in some way. I dont want my money ripped again, and i would rather have my questions answered from the customers than the company. i guess it sounds good but i dont know why you couldn't answer my simple questions instead of accusing me of something i did not say. also you said you just switched i was curious man calm down i'm not sure what your problem is with me asking questions...

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Tac, who made your phpbb theme?

¤Night

18. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    How's everyone doing with TowerHost so far ??? :D

19. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    So far so good!

EMPYRE

Just one page, but it seems to be totally available to eveyone and it has only been 1 day.

Gare

20. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    well, it sounds good, sorry for douting your friends company tac

21. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm doing pretty well.

The site is all uploaded onto the towerhost servers, and I am now just waiting for my new domain to become active, then I'm ready to open the doors.

The download speeds I am getting seem absolutely fine, in fact they max out my ADSL line, I will be interested to hear how other people find it.

I have even (shock horror!) uploaded a Sorenson version of my film as well, for those poor souls who can't get the mighty on2 codec to work. I'll post when it's all up and running. If it all works out (which I'm sure it will) I'll probably move www.stormahead.com over as well.

22. Tri-Som_Gare

Sep 22, 2000
    I dont have any content on mine yet. Working on it this week. I am hoping the bandwidth is good. I am going to be posting some video and what not.

Hey Daft, no trivia? :p

Gare

23. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I understand that things have been going well so far. TowerHost owner, Steve Legget, has been very excited about all of the TFN FanFilm Forum Members who have signed up with TowerHost, and he assured me that he intends to provide the best quality service possible.

Besides, I told him that if he didn't, he would suffer THE WRATH OF TAC !!! :D

24. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    Besides, I told him that if he didn't, he would suffer THE WRATH OF TAC !!!

Woah i know what that feels like :p ;) j/k

25. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I actually didn't have so great experiance with them, when Chris (Yes, Hanel) told me it was up and gave me the info, I uploaded some test files... and the didn't show up. It acted like they weren't even there, I later figured out that the IP that I was given from him to view the page, was some how not linked up with the FTP that the same IP went to, as no where in the entire directory was there a single index.html file, yet that's what was being referenced on the site itself. public_html is supposed to be where everything you have on your page shows up in, but I uploaded stuff in there, couldn't access it, and there wasn't an index file there, tried uploading the same file a bunch of different locations, finally gave up. I told Chris, but I don't know if he got the message or not, he was away (as usual.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.