main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ New Zealand Idol

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    The Aussie Idol has 'da fro'.

Guy Sebastian also has/had actual talent. Say what you like about "image being everything", but Guy has a good understanding of music, writes songs and plays instruments. He also has wide and interesting tastes in music, as illustrated by his esoteric song choices.

On the other hand, Michael like Incubus, and sings Neil Fin songs in an American accent.

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Another sterling night on New Zealand Idol.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the song the 4 contestants started with, Starship's "We Built This City On Rock and Roll", was voted the "worst record ever" just this week. Coincidence? Whether it was or not, it set the tone for the night.

Seriously, does Camillia even know what "rock" is? Doing two ballads, one by Heart (surely on of the worst bands of all time) was inexcusable. As was Luke's The Who-cover, done in the style of Limp Bizkit. (Definately THE worst band of all time.) Luke, at least, made up for it with his AC?DC cover, which was pretty cool, although as Fiona pointed out, there'd be no way he could sing a full gig with that much grit in his voice.

I think Ben is the only contestant who is consistently getting better each week.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I like Ben. But man, if those female judges take things much further, NZ Idol will have to screen at 9:30 with an adults only warning.

4. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I thought Michael's second performance was quite well done!

5. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    And Luke is gone. Next Sunday, an 80s special :) That will bring back a few memories ...

When I think of the music of the 80s, I remember the aerobics craze. At primary school they had us exercising endlessly to Kylie Minogue's Locomotion. *shudders*

In high school, we had to design a four minute aerobics routine for PE class ... our team got extra points for excellent music choice when I happened to find 'Funkytown' by Lipps Inc. on an old tape ... yea, town to get movin' and get groovin' with some *energy* //cue leg warmers.

I wonder if people were fitter in the 80s as a result of that fad?

6. -SILVER-

-SILVER- Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    Fiona was almost popping out of her low cut dress!!! :D

It's a shame that Camillia keeps catching colds ... she's on her 3rd one now.

Although she annoys me with always thanking the judges twice.

Thank you, Frankie. Thank you.
    Thank you, Fiona. Thankyou.
    Thank you, Paul. Thank you.

:cool:
    I bet my next door neighbour's dog that Mitch wins.

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I think Camellia will be the next to go. It irritates me that she always interupts the judges as they're talking, as if her saying "thanks" is a really big honour for them. Plus, her last few performances have kinda sucked.

Michael will most likely win, although I'd far prefer to see Ben win.

8. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmm, I agree Camillia's not getting better--what's with those song choices?! Michael didn't do the winking and pointing thing so he's less annoying, I think.

9. -SILVER-

Oct 16, 2003
    Mitch is still pointing at us ... but with all five fingers now ... not just one.

10. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    im shattered... Luke is gone.
    he was our only hope... :(

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    seriously? I thought he was a one-tirck pony. That cover of the Who song, with him trying to be all broody and introspective, was just a joke.

BEN! BEN! BEN!

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And you know he was covering the Limp Bizkit version. The sad thing is that Luke stole the show when he rocked out on "Sittin Inside My Head", why he went soft during the "ROck Gods" themed show I'll never know.

Really, the song choices are bizarre. Janis Joplin was a Soul singer, Camillia? And, yes, Lawrence, the Starship song that had just been voted "worst ever" as opening number was not lost on me either!

Anyway, Michael has to go, and Ben needs to beat Camillia in the final.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    out of interest, JP, what's your company's opinion on the show? I'm sure there must be a fair amount of interest in the show in your offices.

My suspicion is that Michael's core audience is teenage girls, and that they're the people most likely to vote come the final. I might have to start actually voting for Ben.

edit/ small edit on request.

14. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Camillia seemed ready to leave ... I got the impression she'd had enough during the last two shows.

I'm thinking that Ben is going to pick up her votes and take it out. We'll see come Sunday, though ... be interesting to see what he chooses to sing.

15. Devil_Dodo

Devil_Dodo Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    Suddenly, this competition got a lot less interesting...

I was looking forward to seeing Camillia and Ben battle it out.

Michael really bugs me. I really don't like him. He's just an idiot.
    And the annoying thing is everyone else does like him.
    Grrr, he annoys me... he shouldn't be there! but the fact that he's not really a bad singer makes it so much harder to hate him.

The real question is whether the Camillia fans will go to Ben or Michael... I'm hopin' Ben.

I've actually been quite disappointed with the talent on the show... I was expecting a lot more. I'm not saying that the top three weren't good... I just think NZ has so much more to offer... :)

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > And the annoying thing is everyone else does like him.

No, it's just that 14 year old girls like him, and they're the sort of people who actually vote.

I think Ben will win though ... I'm convinced the Camillia vote will become an anti-Michael vote.

As you say though, the talent isn't that great, you could hear better singers in many a Church on a Sunday morning.

17. -SILVER-

Oct 16, 2003
    Yeah, I still bet my next door neighbour's dog that Mitch wins the dog & pony show.

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to determine if Camillia's boobs are real or not.

And so, in the final of the other Idol's the female judge jumps up on stage & performs a number ... I wonder if ol' Fiona will grace us with her talent???

:cool:
    Come & knock on our door
    We'll be waiting for you
    Where the faces are hers & hers & his
    Three's company too.

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    The final results show is screening from 8pm-9:30pm tomorrow, and you can vote right up til 9pm.

19. Devil_Dodo

Devil_Dodo Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    Dammit, Ben better win!

Whenever I watch Michael perform it makes me want to hurt somebody... I just can't stand him. He's so gross to look at.

He really needs to get rid of those side burns... or at least make them even. and stop sounding like he's gonna cry every line he sings.

He takes great songs, and destroys them.

Ben's version of the winner's single was so much better. And he got a standing ovation.

20. -SILVER-

Oct 16, 2003
    Mitch v Ben

Yeah, Mitch does sing the same way as the lead singer of Alien Ant Farm with that 'thing' he does with his voice at the end of most lines.

Ben is good ... but I don't think he'll win coz he doesn't have an X-factor.

I hope Fiona wears another tight low cut dress tonight. :D

21. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yay Ben :)

22. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    the best man won.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hooray!

24. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    What a complete waste of tax payers money. :mad:

I mean, woohoo - lets waste all that for a poor wee guy who's going to make 1 album that will probably haev a hit or two on a **** radio station like ZM or the Edge or something.

I could think of many more things that money would have been better used.

OOOH, HEALTH SYSTEM? EDUCATION?

[face_plain]

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    The thing is, from a tax money point of view, that money is a drop in the bucket.

Fair point re: health and education, but how much taxpayer money gets spent on sports? Either on sports teams, or sports-related broadcasting?

The money for arts (and, yeah, you can argue that this isn't art, it's just glorified karaoke) is minimal compared to the amount of money spent on sports in this country. Anything which redresses that balance is fine by me.

Plus, 1.4 million people watched the final, so at least people were getting their money's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.